Worst Supreme Court Decision of the 21st Century?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:26:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Worst Supreme Court Decision of the 21st Century?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Worst Supreme Court Decision of the 21st Century?  (Read 8211 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2018, 11:11:48 PM »

The equal protection issue was the lack of a uniform standard for counting disputed punch ballots.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2018, 11:41:12 PM »

I'm astonished Bush v. Gore is in the minority so far.

The Supreme Court should never be in the business of picking the President.

What exactly does “never be in the business of picking the President” mean? No judicial relief related to elections at all? Or something more specific?

A lot of people hate on Bush v Gore without really understanding what the case was about, and while I agree with Souter and Breyer on the remand issue, not remanding almost certainly didn’t change the final result.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure Congress is supposed to decide disputed Presidential Elections, not the Supreme Court.

As in a tie in the electoral college? Sure (the House, specifically).

But when you’re talking about an issue related to the Equal Protection Clause, I don’t understand how you can say the Supreme Court has no business being involved. If you remove any judicial involvement from laws related to elections and election administration, you pretty much destroy enforceability of the Voting Rights Act.

Except you could argue there was no equal protection issue...except for the fact Gore didn't insist on a statewide recount. (If he had, he probably would've won Florida on that recount).

Sure, you could argue that, but the place to make such an argument is before the Court, not Congress. And keep in mind that 7/9 justices agreed that there was an Equal Protection Clause violation.

You still haven’t exactly laid out what your overall stance is. When, in your view, is it acceptable for courts to take up a case dealing with election results?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2018, 11:57:26 AM »

What exactly does “never be in the business of picking the President” mean? No judicial relief related to elections at all? Or something more specific?

A lot of people hate on Bush v Gore without really understanding what the case was about, and while I agree with Souter and Breyer on the remand issue, not remanding almost certainly didn’t change the final result.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure Congress is supposed to decide disputed Presidential Elections, not the Supreme Court.

But when you’re talking about an issue related to the Equal Protection Clause, I don’t understand how you can say the Supreme Court has no business being involved. If you remove any judicial involvement from laws related to elections and election administration, you pretty much destroy enforceability of the Voting Rights Act.

Except you could argue there was no equal protection issue...except for the fact Gore didn't insist on a statewide recount. (If he had, he probably would've won Florida on that recount).

Sure, you could argue that, but the place to make such an argument is before the Court, not Congress. And keep in mind that 7/9 justices agreed that there was an Equal Protection Clause violation.

You still haven’t exactly laid out what your overall stance is. When, in your view, is it acceptable for courts to take up a case dealing with election results?

When there is a clear and convincing case of voter fraud, which wasn't the case in Florida 2000.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2018, 02:11:50 PM »

Citizens United
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2018, 07:59:08 PM »

Citizens United v. FEC because it was a bunch of grown men with degrees from the most prestigious universities in the country trying to make a serious legal argument that corporations are people and that they are exercising their first amendment rights by buying elections.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2018, 10:11:42 PM »

When there is a clear and convincing case of voter fraud, which wasn't the case in Florida 2000.

So the Florida circuit court was wrong to have not summarily dismissed Gore’s initial lawsuit?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2018, 10:27:04 PM »

So the Florida circuit court was wrong to have not summarily dismissed Gore’s initial lawsuit?

Yes, and no. Gore also made a huge mistake in not asking for a recount for the entire state, under what the court was willing to offer.

However, yes the court should have made it clear that Congress is the relevant party to go to in this circumstance, as no widespread voter fraud occurred.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2018, 10:35:22 PM »

Yes, and no. Gore also made a huge mistake in not asking for a recount for the entire state, under what the court was willing to offer.

However, yes the court should have made it clear that Congress is the relevant party to go to in this circumstance, as no widespread voter fraud occurred.

Well, even if he’d have asked for a statewide recount, under your standard, it should’ve been denied.

At least you’re consistent in your views (unlike a lo5 of opponents to the case), although I’m not sure where you’ve gotten the idea that Congress is the relevant party (or actually has any significant power to do anything).
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2018, 12:08:03 AM »

There was no mechanism for a statewide recount. You had to petition county by county. That was the prerogative of the legislature and both sides knew the rules going in. That Gore only requested recounts in the 3 most Gore heavy counties is his fault.
Anti-Bothsidesism
Somenamelessfool
United States

« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2018, 05:58:48 PM »

Citizens United v. FEC because it was a bunch of grown men with degrees from the most prestigious universities in the country trying to make a serious legal argument that corporations are people and that they are exercising their first amendment rights by buying elections.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2018, 06:39:11 PM »

Citizens United, followed closely by Shelby County. Both HORRIBLE.
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 7.22

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2018, 07:00:18 PM »

Kelo vs New London, most definitely.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies