Most lucrative college degrees (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 06:10:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Most lucrative college degrees (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most lucrative college degrees  (Read 5710 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« on: February 13, 2006, 07:01:20 PM »

Do the per hour salaries and opportunity costs of forgone overtime due to professional exemptions the picture doesn't look so rosy.  The building trade unions torch all of these if those calculations were done.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 07:16:00 PM »

The funny thing about the new downsized 'middle class' is that they have only been able to purchase reasonably well paid jobs by spending enormous amounts of money on their own educations

Exactly right, Opebo. There have been a lot of articles lately about the huge amount of student loan debt that the average American has to bear to graduate from college.

Then, even if they get a decent paying job, they are often restricted from moving up in class due to a huge amount of debt they need to pay off. Hell, I am 28 years old and still paying off student loans and credit cards from when I was in college (and I was fairly frugal as a student).

For many college graduates, they are merely "running in place" due to the huge debt burden they carry.

You and opebo have good points here.  I even have co-workers who have previously worked in CPA firms agree with most of what I've said.  I even had one woman tell me the big CPA firms are "sweatshops" that rope in young, naive college kids to work all kinds of hours with meager bonuses for working 60+ hours per week during tax season.  Few of us are lucky enough to be dazzleman in that category so I stuck with the government.  Add the student loan debt that I and Scoonie have it makes matters even worse.  I know dazzleman is wise in many respects, but I hate to say he is a bit naive to what people in their 20s recently out of college have to go through. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies