A New History Game
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 05:14:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  A New History Game
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What game would you like to see?
The Age of Exploration
The War of the Three Kingdoms
The Age of Revolution
Into Modernity
Other
None
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: A New History Game  (Read 1065 times)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2018, 11:35:33 AM »

So, my Harry Potter idea was a bit of a flop. I kind of expected that though. I do think the board could use a non-America based RP game, though, so I've thought of some other ideas that people may be interested in that I'd like to run. I've included a poll.

The Age of Exploration - This is similar to the God, Gold, and Glory game that Spamage ran almost four years ago. Set in the mid 1500s, the world is divided among the Catholic powers and the upstart Protestant states in Europe. As tensions flare, and alliances are tested, in the Old World, a wealth of new opportunities has just opened up in the New World.

The War of the Three Kingdoms - This is my own idea (as far as I can tell, and I apologize if someone has tried this and I've missed it). Set around 1640, King Charles I of England is loosing his grip on his kingdom as clashes with Parliament reach a boiling point. Oliver Cromwell leads the Parliamentarians in calls to abolish the monarchy, while Irish Catholics see an opportunity for freedom during the chaos. Meanwhile on the Continent, the Protestant and Catholic forces are locked in a bloody war of religion. All the while, the siren song of the New World is calling.

The Age of Revolution - This is loosely similar to the Concert of Europe game that Spamage ran over the summer. Set at the dawn of the 19th Century, the world is rapidly changing. America has now been independent for almost thirty years, but the new nation is still on shaky legs and its relations with most of Europe are still frosty. Napoleon Bonaparte has just seized power in France and has his eyes set towards Europe, while King George III of England is reaching the end of his life as his son, George IV, has been declared regent and is looking towards Africa.

Into Modernity - This is similar to the Peace Through Strength game that Lumine ran about a year ago. Set in 2018, the world stands at a crossroads. Nationalism has reared its head across Europe and America, traditional political alliances are crumbling, and Russia is on a path towards ascendancy. North Korea's nuclear program is reaching a critical juncture and the rumblings of a revolution are underway in Iran.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 11:44:51 AM »

The Age of Revolution so we can try and change Napoleonic History.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 11:48:09 AM »

Into Modernity sounds good but how about a game based around a 50s World War III?
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 11:55:17 AM »

I don’t want to promise to get involved in too many more games but I would be quite unable to resist the wars of the Three Kingdoms!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 12:15:56 PM »

This got me really hyped, Dkrol, so you better host one of these soon! The Age of Revolution and the Age of Exploration are by far my favorites, but I voted the Age of Exploration. We need more games set in the 1500's, they would allow a lot of flexibility.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 12:26:45 PM »

I'll probably take two or three days of opinion and then spend a day or two to write up the rules and what not. So we're looking at Sunday or Monday as a start of sign ups. Also, just an FYI, I'm in London for the next four months, so all my times are in UTC.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 04:10:03 PM »

I'd really enjoy either the Age of Exploration or the Age of Revolution, though any of the four would be great. I don't know much about the English Civil War, so that one would be difficult for me.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 04:56:34 PM »

I'd really enjoy either the Age of Exploration or the Age of Revolution, though any of the four would be great. I don't know much about the English Civil War, so that one would be difficult for me.
^^
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 05:54:16 PM »

Age of Revolution, Age of Exploration, and The War of Three Kingdoms all look very good.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 09:00:58 PM »

I always feel too dumb to play these games lol...

I still vote for HP :0
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 11:20:29 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2018, 08:10:02 PM by Kingpoleon »

I’d really, really like to see The Age of Revolution.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 01:47:29 AM »

I'd posit that the first two options seem very appealing in regards to being able to colonize the new world.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 03:22:09 AM »

I did find myself thinking the Wars of the Roses would be good one day - basically ASOIAF without magic, dragons and Others, unlikely to be crippled by any one player going inactive. Something in the Italian Renaissance would also be cool.

Small note on the Wars of the Three Kingdoms - Oliver Cromwell was an obscure Cambridgeshire MP without military experience at the beginning of the war. Initially you'd be talking more about people like Pym and the Earl of Essex.

I would be extremely psyched to control the Scottish Royalists under Montrose if it did by any chance emerge on top...
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 08:12:27 PM »

I’d really, really like to see The Age of Revolution.

Into Modernity sounds pretty good, too.

It sounds to me like everyone likes AoR - it’s just always second place.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 02:05:41 PM »

Ok, I've gotten enough public input. Stay tuned for rules and sign ups for the new history game in the enxt few days.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies