I told them it wouldn't work
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:02:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  I told them it wouldn't work
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I told them it wouldn't work  (Read 292 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2010, 01:40:16 AM »

Several years ago I was named to a panel to make recommendations on a project for border security identified below (it had a different name then).  I (and several other members of the panel) told the feds it would not work.  Well, apparently the feds wanted to waste money on a project that they would claim was supposed to be for border security, but they knew would NOT significantly enhance border security.

PHOENIX (AP) – An ambitious, $6.7 billion government project to secure nearly the entire Mexican border with a “virtual fence” of cameras, ground sensors and radar is in jeopardy after a string of technical glitches and delays.

Having spent $672 million so far with little to show for it, Washington has ordered a reassessment of the whole idea. The outlook became gloomier this week when President Barack Obama proposed cutting $189 million from the venture.

Ultimately, the project could be scaled back dramatically, with the government installing virtual fences along a few segments of the nation’s 2,000-mile southern boundary but dropping plans for any further expansion, officials said.

“The worst that happens is that we have a system which gives us some value but we conclude that it’s not worth buying any more of it,” said Mark Borkowski, the government’s director of the project at U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 01:58:08 AM »

Good job Carlhayden.

You have become one of my favorite posters!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies