Sanity in Foreign Policy Act (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:00:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Sanity in Foreign Policy Act (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sanity in Foreign Policy Act (Passed)  (Read 4788 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« on: December 14, 2014, 02:25:47 AM »

Lmao at the "Actual End to Imperialism" bill- Section 1, Section 3, then an unnumbered section referring to a nonexistent Section 6.

Amendment offered in the form of a substitute bill:

[Quote]1. Section 3 of the Actual End to Imperialism Act is hereby repealed.
2. The Secretary of State shall publicly report all sales of weapons or military hardware conducted by the Atlasian government at least 72 hours before such sales are finalized.
3. Any such sale will not be finalized if at least three members of the Atlasian Senate submit an objection to the Senate within the requisite 72 hour period. Any potential deal that has received three valid objections can only be finalized if it is ratified via majority vote of the Atlasian Senate.
4. Any sale of weapons or military hardware conducted by the Atlasian Government that has been conducted pursuant to the specific and explicit instructions of enacted legislation shall be deemed to have been proactively ratified by the Atlasian Senate and shall not require any waiting period before finalization.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 09:42:14 AM »

Good idea bore. I withdraw my previous amendment, and offer this amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

About my amendment:

This is why banning Atlasian-run foreign paramilitary training camps is a good thing.

This is why full transparency and explicit legislative oversight of international arms deals is a good thing.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 02:49:36 PM »

Aye
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 12:59:11 PM »

Nay

There's nothing wrong with the bill as is, unless of course you're a warmonger.

I think there are circumstances where arms sales are appropriate, which is why my amendment allows them to be conducted with Senate oversight. To use a historical example, the "Actual End to Imperialism" Act would have prohibited us from sending lend-lease shipments to support the defense of the United Kingdom and the Soviet Union defence against Nazi Germany in WW2. It also prevents us from selling our older naval vessels to other countries (no matter how peaceful the other country is) which IRL is a decent way to recoup some of the cost spent to build them
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 08:47:32 PM »

TNF what about lend lease to the USSR?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 10:38:44 PM »

I am more or less satisfied with Bacon King's amendment and I would indeed sign the bill if passed by the Senate, but I wonder if we could amend Section 2. I understand the point of not training paramilitary personnel due to past experiences and they potential to be unreliable, but I think there's a legitimate point in training elements from other military forces, especially now that the armies of, say, Iraq and Ukraine are in need for reform.

The bill would still allow Atlasia to train foreign military personnel alongside our own people at our own Military Academies and other such training institutions. It also does not prohibit Atlasian military personnel from serving as instructors in a foreign military's own training facilities. I believe Section 2 is narrowly tailored to prohibit past abuses without preventing us from properly assisting our allies in any meaningful way.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 08:38:02 AM »

Windjanmetl, please describe how this bill is in any way "crazy" or "isolationist"
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 02:56:01 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies