Democrats lead by 3% on the Generic Ballot says Newsweek.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:11:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democrats lead by 3% on the Generic Ballot says Newsweek.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats lead by 3% on the Generic Ballot says Newsweek.  (Read 1051 times)
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2010, 07:08:45 PM »
« edited: October 22, 2010, 07:20:27 PM by The Vorlon »

Mr. Obama also has a +14 job approval, with 54% approving, while only 40% disapprove.

No doubt Mr. Obama will now be dispatched to West Virginia to shore up the campaign of Mr. Manchin.

http://nw-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/pdf/1006-Ftop.pdf

(Mr. Hayden may have a comment on this poll)
Whacker77

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 07:14:16 PM »

Vorlon

How can any pollster put out a poll like this and hope to be taken credibly.  Wouldn't numbers like this require a repoll?
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 07:15:44 PM »

Er, what?
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 07:18:53 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2010, 07:22:12 PM by The Vorlon »

Vorlon

How can any pollster put out a poll like this and hope to be taken credibly.  Wouldn't numbers like this require a repoll?

The Newsweek polls are so structurally (word Dave Leip won't let me say)ed  that, well, we throw this one out. Most folks have just given up on Newsweek.  These are the same folks who do, as an addition "lol" factor, the Star Tribune polls in Minnesota. 

They have state of the art polling methods, that worked wonderfully in, oh, about 1964 or so....  Things since then have... changed.... they have not.

Their subscriber base consists of Senior citizens in nursing homes where the executor of the living will has not gotten around to cancelling their subscription yet.
Whacker77

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 07:24:35 PM »

Just about answers that.

Why do you think Republicans have stalled in the Senate polling even though the playing field looks to be expanding in the House?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 07:25:50 PM »

Vorlon

How can any pollster put out a poll like this and hope to be taken credibly.  Wouldn't numbers like this require a repoll?

The Newsweek polls are so structurally (word Dave Leip won't let me say)ed  that, well, we throw this one out. Most folks have just given up on Newsweek.

Their subscriber base consists of Senior citizens in nursing homes where the executor of the living will has not gotten around to cancelling their subscription yet.

I actually am on their mail list, but I will not be renewing my subspription when it is the time to do so again. I don't really enjoy the paper or the commentary, and I can read similar stories of the same importance online for free.

In any case, joke poll. I'm wondering who they question to get these results, because there is no way in hell that Obama's approval is +14, or the Democrats up in the generic ballot. Roll Eyes
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 07:36:57 PM »

Just about answers that.

Why do you think Republicans have stalled in the Senate polling even though the playing field looks to be expanding in the House?

GOP has nominated nutters for Senate.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 07:46:51 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2010, 07:49:59 PM by The Vorlon »

Just about answers that.

I guess it is the difference between a "generic" republican and an actual candidate.

A "generic" republican would likely have won Delaware,.. "the Witch" likely will not.

Secondly, the Dem base will, at least in part, come home by election time.

To take Pennsylvania as an example, Mr. Obama won Pennsylvania by about 10 or 11 points as I recall.

Sestek is pretty moderate, and Toomey is a VERY conservative candidate.

The fact Toomey is, in a +11 Dem state, as a VERY conservative candidate, a few points ahead still represents a staggering shift. - What would it say about the nation if a Ted Kennedy Liberal was running competitively for the Dems in say Mississippi?

There are races "on the map" that 1 year ago were "fantasy island" for the GOP -  the fact a few of them tighten up as the Dem base comes home is hardly a shock.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 07:48:51 PM »

Just about answers that.

A shorter, more compact way of saying what I just said Smiley

I guess it is the difference between a "generic" republican and an actual candidate.

A "generic" republican would likely have won Delaware,.. "the Witch" likely will not.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 05:52:37 AM »

Just about answers that.

A shorter, more compact way of saying what I just said Smiley

Could we also expect something similar in the house? Or are the races just not high profile enough to expose the nutters?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 06:02:23 AM »

Lol Poll.

Less regular polling of House races, initial too-conservative calls by Cook, CQ etc. In other words, I think the Republican wave is actually probably slowly receding in the House (in the share of the vote they'd be getting if the election were held today versus a week ago) just as in the Senate - though not in every seat, but then that's true of the Senate too. Look at Illinois - but it's not being picked up due to too small numbers of polls of every individual seat. And unlike in the Senate, it was pretty much already factored into predictions... and possibly overfactored.
Put it another way, we had these 100+ seat predictions occasionally. Compared to those, the Republicans have stalled. It's only compared to the "I'd-wait-on-confirmation-for-that" type of cautious prediction (including my own) that they're doing fine.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies