Trump Nominates Jerome Powell as Federal Reserve Chair (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:10:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Trump Nominates Jerome Powell as Federal Reserve Chair (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump Nominates Jerome Powell as Federal Reserve Chair  (Read 3158 times)
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« on: October 20, 2017, 07:36:03 AM »
« edited: October 20, 2017, 07:38:09 AM by mvd10 »

Neel Kashkari, R. Glenn Hubbard, Roger W. Ferguson, Meg Whitman, Larry Lindsey, or Keith Hennessey would all be much better choices. Oh well.

Why exactly? Powell seems like a relatively sensible choice, he isn't as dovish as Yellen but he also wouldn't scare the markets as much as Taylor. I guess him not having an economics PhD is a downside, but he's been member of the Fed board for 5 years now so he likely knows what he's doing (and the Fed has tons of smart PhD economists anyway).

Is he in favor of raising interest rates to deflate bubbles.

He's more hawkish than Yellen (and he's also more in favour of financial deregulation and Trump's tax policies, although he's not as right-wing as some other candidates), but Powell wouldn't signal a drastic change in monetary policy. Kevin Warsh and especially John Taylor would be the most hawkish candidates (and they're also very supportive of Trump's tax policies and financial deregulation). Powell, Warsh and Taylor are all Republicans btw. Trump himself is in favour of low interest rates (like someone already noted), so appointing a hawk wouldn't make much sense in that case. But Trump probably wants to appoint a supply-sider/Republican who is supportive of his policies but most of them also are quite hawkish. So Powell probably is the logical choice.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 12:44:40 PM »

Neel Kashkari is uniquely qualified for this role.

I'd say that being uniquely qualified involves having an economics PhD (and he's a bit too young imo), but he'd be an acceptable choice. I'm not really sure who I back. John Taylor is uniquely qualified, but he's too hawkish. Warsh doesn't have an economics PhD and was terribly wrong about inflation in 2008-2010, Powell doesn't have an economic PhD either and Yellen is a bit too dovish. In the end I suppose I'd support reappointing Yellen (as she is extremely qualified) or appointing Powell (he doesn't have an economics PhD but he's worked at the Fed for years and the Fed has tons of PhD economists anyway). The Fed balance sheet should be reduced, but not as fast as Warsh or Taylor want (but preferably a little faster than Yellen wants).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies