Dick Morris: What Many Polls Are Missing (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 05:43:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Dick Morris: What Many Polls Are Missing (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dick Morris: What Many Polls Are Missing  (Read 12236 times)
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« on: September 22, 2012, 05:15:50 AM »

Will you guys stop with this Reagan "Come From Behind" myth. The Gipper was ahead from May 1980 til Election Day. And there is no evidence that the undecided vote always breaks unanimously or anywhere close for the challenger. If that were true George W. Bush would not have won in 2004 and Bill Clinton wouldn't have won in 1996.

Osama Bin Laden endorsed Bush's opponent just before the 2004 election. Had that not occured, Bush, probably, would have lost.
How exactly does "that your security is not in the hands of Kerry, nor Bush, nor al-Qaida" constitutes endorsing Kerry?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 01:47:45 PM »

Once again, it's just eerie to me how much this sounds like what I was thinking at this time in 2004.

I don't know any democrat who thought Bush's policies couldn't be changed or defeated even if he won a second term.  Our belief is that if Obama wins a second term, the policies that are enacted will stay permanently - developing a society that functions around cradle to grave government care that in short time gives way to an economic collapse that tips the balance of power in the world to Russia and China whilst the rest of the western world collapses into chaos. 

The democratic opposition to Bush was for a much less motivating reason.  It was primarily a combination of a feeling of delegitimacy left over from the 2000 election, anti-war protest and support for gay rights.  That's not like the opposition we have to Obama.  It wasn't the end of the country if Bush won a second term.  The country would make its typical cyclical shift between democrats and republicans every 8-12 years.  It certainly did during the 2008 election.  This year truly is different.  The feelings I described in the paragraph above are not just felt by a bubble of conservatives pushing conspiracy theories.  The view is near uniform among every single registered republican, even the republican moderates I know and many independents. 
Two things:
1. If Obama's policies are so horrible, why wouldn't the Republican party be able to overturn them after the landslide defeat for the Democrats, caused by his horrible policies?
2. You dismiss far too lightly democratic opposition against Bush in 2004. For example, I don't think that any major Republicans have threatened to leave the US if Obama (and yes, I know that was mostly in jest, but it was still indicative).
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 04:02:07 PM »

1. First, we don't have control of the senate.
If the Obama is such a failure as you imagine him, it's not very likely that his control of the senate will extend beyond the next midterms.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Or maybe they will like being able to get adequate medical care which for many is very difficult today. 

The policies proposed by Romney will hardly help with the US national debt either.

There are quite a few Eastern European countries with a flat tax rate. Though strangely many of their citizens don't seem to appreciate the freedoms they have and want to move to the social democracies of Western Europe.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies