Representation without taxation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:47:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Representation without taxation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Representation without taxation  (Read 1841 times)
Mesu
Rookie

« on: May 26, 2007, 02:24:17 PM »

Sorry, but you don't need to vote to be represented.

If that's the case the complaints about taxation without represenations during revolutionary war times were baseless.
Mesu
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 08:58:42 PM »

Ah, but we weren't being represented.

That's why the original post doesn't makes sense.

What are the legal consequences of the senate not "representing" illegal immigrants?

And also they pay sales taxes.
Mesu
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 05:23:54 AM »

With respect to your first point, no, you simply don't understand.

I guess there could be details about revolutionary period that make it much different. It's been awhile seen I read alot about it.

With respect to your second point, the answer is none.

I should have said political consequences. Even if the senators you mentioned think they answer to illegal immigrants that doesn't change reality. Illegal immigrant have no way of replacing a senator that doesn't represent them. So in reality they are not being represented.

With respect to your third point, many items are not subject to sales taxex (I joined with former State Representative, and latter Democrat Party Chair John Kromko in working to sucessfully repeal the sales tax on food), and other can legally be avoided (buy you tobacco products on an indian reservation).

Food and tobacco aren't the only things illegal immigrants buy.

I guess I approached this thread in the wrong way. In some of the other immigration threads recently as well as this one a common theme I think your trying to stress is fairness for people who aren't illegal immigrants. One of the reasons I can't support ideas like those is the "injustice" happening is low income people receiving economic support. For me to be offended by that would take a different mind set than I'm comfortable taking.

To me people immigrating illegally are not that much different from the people who came for hundreds of years legally before there were any significant immigration laws. The passing of those laws is probably what potentially makes the economy fragile to mass immigration.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies