Canada: Erin O'Toole's economic populist/working class strategy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:44:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada: Erin O'Toole's economic populist/working class strategy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canada: Erin O'Toole's economic populist/working class strategy  (Read 3517 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« on: December 03, 2020, 04:42:00 PM »

Interesting. But O'Toole is hardly a SoCon. Didn't he say something about supporting the LGBT+ community after he won?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 06:31:29 PM »

Cant the Tories form a coalition with the CAQ where they withdraw from running in Quebec and let the CAQ take seats in the federal parliment

CAQ isn't a federal party.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 06:33:32 PM »

Cant the Tories form a coalition with the CAQ where they withdraw from running in Quebec and let the CAQ take seats in the federal parliment

Cant they run candidates for federal office, because I thought they just chose not to

Why would they? It would just be Bloc 2.0. Bloc does just what CAQ would do if it sought federal seats.

If CAQ did run for federal seats in Quebec, it would just split the vote in places like Montreal and give Liberals more seats.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 06:41:41 PM »

Cant they run candidates for federal office, because I thought they just chose not to

Why would they? It would just be Bloc 2.0. Bloc does just what CAQ would do if it sought federal seats.

If CAQ did run for federal seats in Quebec, it would just split the vote in places like Montreal and give Liberals more seats.

I thought they were much to the right of Bloc though.

My overall point though is for Conservatives to do better in Quebec why not run some sort of Quebec style conservative party(if there isnt then create one) to get some seats in Quebec which then later would form a coalition with the Canadian conservative party

Eh. Sure they're economically to the right of Bloc but their economic positions are fairly similar to the Quebec Liberals. In any case they'd vote similarly in Parliament as Bloc to just rake cash back to Quebec and vote for socially conservative proposals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Party_of_Quebec

There's the PCQ, but I'm not sure if they're connected to the federal party or not. In any case their electoral record is abysmal. Conservatives just aren't going to do well in Quebec without alienating western voters.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies