Have you ever had a religious or supernatural experience? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 04:18:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Have you ever had a religious or supernatural experience? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes

No

Not Sure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Have you ever had a religious or supernatural experience?  (Read 6575 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: April 10, 2021, 03:54:07 AM »

I briefly felt the paw of my first dog, who had recently died, rubbing my back when I was a child after quietly praying for her to comfort me because I couldn't sleep. I whispered "Thank you, Cody", and then it stopped.

That was my most intimate experience with the supernatural because the metaphysical lining between the living and the dead became so thin as to be penetrated, and as a result I was able to feel the touch of an animal's spirit. I was not under the influence of any drugs. Both my parents were asleep. It was literally just me on my futon, and I felt her touch.

I cannot prove or replicate that experience, but I also don't seek to profit from it because I believe that denigrates the meaning of the miracle. It was one of my many experiences with the supernatural, which mostly happened in Connecticut which is the nation's capital of ghost sightings and paranormal experiences.

But for me, it was a gift. And just because that experience cannot be replicated or examined in a laboratory doesn't mean it wasn't real. God allowed me to reunite with my dog, who'd been in our family since before I was born and literally watched over me as an infant when my parents were away, for one last time. And that's good enough for me, regardless of what naysayers think.

It is also why I believe that we are reunited with our pets after we pass on, contrary to conservative Christian views that anyone not made in the image of God cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

And that was the moment I realized there is far more to the universe than we can experience with our material senses. Even if I were to reject Christ for another religion, I could never forsake God or the existence of a deity. Still, I cannot and will not ever be separated from the grace of Christ.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 04:47:54 AM »

You're all being very defensive here which but what's worse, not discussing and reasoning the similar claims of miracles from adherents of different faiths due to the claimed intervention of other deities, spirits or ancestors.

I'm not trying to come across as defensive here, but plenty of people on this forum already think I'm mentally unstable for reasons you are familiar with.

I certainly do not rebuke the miracles or supernatural experiences of people from other faiths. I believe in Christianity because I believe it is true, but God's very nature is incomprehensible aside from that one trait that all mainstream theistic religions agree on: God's love. A love that's stronger than any human could give you on earth.

If a non-Christian told me about a supernatural experience they had, I would not argue with them or try to discredit their experience. Instead I would listen and humbly try to dissect, with my small finite mind, what that experience meant to the person who had it and what its purpose may have been.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 09:35:19 PM »

I actually tend to agree with Dule in this debate. Miracles, by definition, are supposed to defy what is either 'reasonable' or expected. They cannot be scientifically examined or replicated, because they are not meant to be. If they were, then they wouldn't actually be miracles.

That is why I've come to understand miracles, such as the one I that experienced as a child, as personal gifts that are meaningful to the person or people experiencing it. I believe they're as real as anything else, but quantifying those miracles by declaring them as a 'normal' part of the human experience is to water down those miracles. It is unnecessary to argue for their existence using the language of science, but I am a believer that not all things in this reality can be explained scientifically. Our finite minds simply cannot comprehend the splendor of either God or the universe we live in.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies