Gallup- Statistics about the "fetal position"- 5/08 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 02:49:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Gallup- Statistics about the "fetal position"- 5/08 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gallup- Statistics about the "fetal position"- 5/08  (Read 8793 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: June 17, 2008, 02:14:28 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 05:06:09 PM »

I think the numbers indicate the opposite with it being the older generation that's the most pro-life.

Exactly. This poll really illustrates that the youth in this country aren't so "pro-life" as so many conservatives want to think. In fact, the demographic pattern by age is uniform under 55 years of age.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 09:09:34 AM »

Everyone's completely ignoring the fact that young people are, statistically speaking, supposed to be more liberal than older people.  In this poll, they're not (save the 55+ crowd, but I consider them less telling than the 35-54 group).  So, when we go through our inevitable conservativization process, we'll end up more pro-life than previous cohorts.
I don't think it works that way. People generally keep their opinions for life, the reason young people may seem more liberal is simply that new ideas are more available. We will undergo a conservatization process, but it will be a relative one, not relating to our own changes.

I think the numbers indicate the opposite with it being the older generation that's the most pro-life.

Polls used to show the American public being 69% pro-choice.  No matter where the movement has occurred, this is pretty good news for the pro-life crowd and shows a major shift in opinions.
Not Really, it used to be in the high-50s in the early 90s and then dropped to around 48ish percent in the 01/02 era. Now, it appears that the numbers have stabilized, if not reversed.

...and abortion isn't the hot topic issue it used to be...

All that said, I wouldn't start having fish on Friday just yet.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 09:55:54 AM »

...and probably our generation is perhaps more pro-choice because a lot of the pro-life elements in our generation comes from 1st generation Mexicans who are very Catholic and very pro-life and by the time they are 3rd generation, they generally are not any more pro-life than the rest of the population.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 10:37:26 AM »

What does Global Warming have to do with Abortion?

Why do people whine about having to do stuff about Global Warming, anyway? Isn't a good thing to invest in Alternative Energy so that consumers have more choice in how they power their lives? Isn't a good thing to fund the invention of new ideas and industries? Isn't it a good thing to use funds that are currently being used to subsidize one industry to subsidize NEW markets?

Although it would be cute if Republicans and Democrats could come up with seperate universal scientific formulas from which all of their scientific disagreements, from which comes their ideological and policy disagreements logically arises from.

I mean, they already have for the "soft" sciences, like philosophy and economics.

What if the scientists that agree with you are only 90% sure? 
Does it matter. 90% sure is "clear and convincing" evidcence. We are not trying prove a criminal case with this evidence, so this is sufficient.

I am probably more pro-choice than pro-life but I never understood why anyone would give a sh**t about this at all.
Yeah, your right, innocent children are being slaughtered, why should this be an issue?
Well, the state stopped slaughtering innocent children 3 years ago, when the Supreme Court banned the Juvenile Death Penalty. I' m sure some of those children were little demons, but at least one or two were innocent.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 02:39:54 PM »

Down, you've got a million dollar voice but a ten cent brain. And on the Internet, no one can hear you scream.

So, he should whore himself for $1,000,000.10?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 11:16:57 AM »

Down, you've got a million dollar voice but a ten cent brain. And on the Internet, no one can hear you scream.

So, he should whore himself for $1,000,000.10?
It's a quote. Combined with another quote. The coupling occurred to me about two days before I posted it, and I spent much of those two days looking for the first opportunity to use it before settling for this semi-opportunity. (Roy Acuff said the part about the voice and the brain. To Hank Williams, before Hank made it big time. Acuff was right.)

So Hank Williams should have whored himself out for $1,000,000.10? Tongue
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 11:41:47 AM »

...or he could have whored himself out at that price several times.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 06:10:36 PM »

What does Global Warming have to do with Abortion?
The only relevant post in the thread

...ahem?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 07:12:30 PM »

Well, it looks like there might have been a shift in the fetal position, according to Pew Religion and Public Life-

Pew Research Center for the People & the Press survey conducted by Princeton Survey Research Associates International. June 18-29, 2008. N=2,004 adults nationwide. MoE ± 2.5. Aug. 2007 survey conducted by Schulman, Ronca & Bucuvalas.

"Do you think abortion should be legal in all cases, legal in most cases, illegal in most cases, or illegal in all cases?" Options rotated

Legal in
All Cases Legal in
Most Cases Illegal in
Most Cases Illegal in
All Cases Unsure

%
 %
 %
 %
 %

6/18-29/08

11/07

10/17-23/07

8/1-18/07

2/16 - 3/14/07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 01:30:18 PM »

What angus says is pretty accurate throughout most of the World, except for poor countries which have been dominated by the Communist Party (where there is universal agreement for abortion on demand) or the Catholic Church/missionaires (where there is universal agreement for zero tolerance on abortions). What's also interesting is the fact that abortion rates throughout the world all range between 15% to 30% of all pregnancies, regardless of the legal stats of abortion in a particular society. What I am begining to think is that the abortion debate is pretty meaningless. People still have them in the same amount, whether they are encouraged or discourged, with or without violence, and that in what we understand as a free and educated society, people generally approach the abortion debate with an open mind.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 01:02:58 PM »

Abortion is a white noise social issue and harms social liberal causes by tarring them.(much like how 'transgender' people slow progress for the gay rights movement by tagging along)

Which gives me an idea for a poll.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies