40% of British Muslims want Sharia Law. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:00:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  40% of British Muslims want Sharia Law. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 40% of British Muslims want Sharia Law.  (Read 7322 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

« on: February 18, 2006, 08:12:25 PM »
« edited: February 18, 2006, 08:18:18 PM by Governor Afleitch »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/02/19/nsharia19.xml&sSheet=/portal/2006/02/19/ixportaltop.html

'Four out of 10 British Muslims want sharia law introduced into parts of the country, a survey reveals today.

The ICM opinion poll also indicates that a fifth have sympathy with the "feelings and motives" of the suicide bombers who attacked London last July 7, killing 52 people, although 99 per cent thought the bombers were wrong to carry out the atrocity. Overall, the findings depict a Muslim community becoming more radical and feeling more alienated from mainstream society, even though 91 per cent still say they feel loyal to Britain. The most startling finding is the high level of support for applying sharia law in "predom-inantly Muslim" areas of Britain.'

It goes on to say 41% oppose Sharia law, but 40% for its introduction is still worringly high.

Patrick Sookhdeo makes an interesting argument about the 'state within a state' mentality in Muslim communities.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/02/19/nsharia219.xml

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 09:36:25 PM »

This is a sign that you Brit's need to stop hugging and kissing these people and start booting them out and to send them all home. 

Including the 60% (that's over half) who didn't say they wanted Sharia law?

Well only 41% said they did not want Sharia, I do not know how the others voted until I buy the newspaper in the morning. But 40% for is a sizeable minority.

Having said that I certainly don't agree with Kevin's opinion.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 09:14:14 AM »

This is a sign that you Brit's need to stop hugging and kissing these people and start booting them out and to send them all home. 
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry Afleitch, Muslims piss me off and scare me, at the same time.

And me. I am worried our innercities will become ghettos with a law of their own. I also want the government to stop associating itself with Muslim leaders who tuirn out to be as extreme as the other leaders they wish to avoid. I will not stand for any dilution of law or civil rights to appeal to one community gripped with paranoia and a 'victim' mentality.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 08:22:12 AM »

All I'm saying is, you - us; as in this society to which I belong - are on a pretty dangerous slope at the moment.

We are, but I believe a different slope to the one you believe. I believe that we are in danger of loosing our liberal and democratic traditions if we don't fight for them. I'm not a racist; I don't have a problem with Hindu's, Sikhs and so on. I don't even have a problem with Muslims. I DO have a problem with Islam and I don't disguise that. I also don't like fundamentalist Christians either so I am being consistent in my views.

If anything political Islam is fascist in itself. If you sit down look at and then break down the demands and the world view of many Muslim political groups, they are fascist. Now I am talking about political Islam here, the Hizb ut Tahrir's of the world. It degrades women, executes homosexuals is violently anti-semetic, believes the west is corrupt, democracy is pointless and only those who succumb to Islam would be allowed any positions of authority what so ever. It is disgusting, perferted and wrong yet THAT groups is to be invited to the UK Parliament for a meeting!

Sharia law is just as stomach turning too and if it is to be believed that 40% of British Muslims wish Sharia law to be imposed that is very disturbing to anyone who believes in liberty and the rule of law.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 09:55:07 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2006, 10:02:24 AM by Governor Afleitch »

Actually Lewis, Iran has executed upwards of 1000 homosexuals since the 1979 revolution. Many others have fled to the west in fear of their life. May gay Iranians are actually members of gay rights groups in the UK and those that do live in fear of reprisals from some sections of the Muslim community within the UK.

EDIT: And I was not equating Hizb ut Tahrir with mainstream Islam, I was citing them as an example of politicisied Islam.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 12:51:27 PM »

You were equating Hizb ut Tahrir with mainstream political Islam. Which is grotesque. Not to mention deceitful. Not to mention, really quite disgusting from someone who should know better.

I was offering up Hizb ut Tahrir as an example only. Is it wrong to dislike political Islam? It seems to be seen as alright for people to dislike 'political Judaism,' or so called 'Zionism' in Israel, and it is seen as ok to take a stand against 'politicised Christianity' within the US for example.

I just don't like politics and religion mixing to such a degree.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies