Scalia just died (really). How will this affect the race?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 01:30:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Scalia just died (really). How will this affect the race?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13
Author Topic: Scalia just died (really). How will this affect the race?  (Read 24273 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »

The last time a Justice died (Rehnquist), I believe Roberts was named the successor two days later.

That was completely different because Roberts had been nominated to replace O'Connor who was resigning once she had a successor confirmed.

Yea, they just slotted him over to the Chief Justice spot.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2016, 06:29:25 PM »

The last time a Justice died (Rehnquist), I believe Roberts was named the successor two days later.

That was completely different because Roberts had been nominated to replace O'Connor who was resigning once she had a successor confirmed.

Yea, they just slotted him over to the Chief Justice spot.

Oh true, I forgot.
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2016, 06:29:29 PM »

What happens if the new President isn't a Republican?

We will have 8 Supreme Court justices until someone else dies, at which point, we will have 7 Supreme Court justices.

Who says the system doesn't work.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2016, 06:29:39 PM »

We will have 8 Supreme Court justices until someone else dies, at which point, we will have 7 Supreme Court justices.

And then once it goes below 6, they'll just get to twiddle their thumbs all day waiting for a quorum.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2016, 06:30:39 PM »

And then once it goes below 6, they'll just get to twiddle their thumbs all day waiting for a quorum.

Receiving fat salaries for that.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2016, 06:30:53 PM »

He was definitely a (an?) HP, but regardless, may he rest in peace. Sad
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2016, 06:33:34 PM »

Just in case anyone thought this election wasn't partisan enough.

At least we now have an answer to the question "Can the Republicans break the government any more than they already have?"
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2016, 06:40:01 PM »

So you think it's reasonable to leave vacancies on the court until a Republican is elected President? That's nuts, but whatever.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2016, 06:40:04 PM »

54s54 seconds ago 

Interesting, there are 54 Republicans in McConnell's majority.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2016, 06:46:56 PM »

Thank you, Mark Uterus, Bruce Braley, Shelley Berkley and Alexi Giannoulias! lol

And Russ Feingold.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2016, 06:47:22 PM »

So you think it's reasonable to leave vacancies on the court until a Republican is elected President? That's nuts, but whatever.

No, allowing supremacy of Obamabots is nuts. If Obama nominated a real, impartial, centrist justice, that would be acceptable. But he won't.
psychprofessor

« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2016, 06:49:19 PM »

This just raised the stakes for both sides - I think Republicans have to re-think if they want to go ahead with Trump and risk losing the Presidency and SCOTUS. I think Dems have to think if they want to take a chance of nominating Sanders and losing ALL branches of govt. My gut says Cruz and Clinton get second looks from people that may not have been strong supporters.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2016, 06:49:41 PM »

An aside: If you're cheering the death of someone solely on ideological grounds, you need some help. He has a family, kids, friends, etc. Scalia is a person, not a political prop, be respectful.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2016, 06:50:47 PM »

No, allowing supremacy of Obamabots is nuts. If Obama nominated a real, impartial, centrist justice, that would be acceptable. But he won't.

The President gets to nominate judges, that's how the system works. Let's not even pretend like Republicans would approve anyone other than an extremely right-wing judge. Their idea of fair and impartial is the complete opposite of the what the words mean.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2016, 06:52:25 PM »

This just raised the stakes for both sides - I think Republicans have to re-think if they want to go ahead with Trump and risk losing the Presidency and SCOTUS. I think Dems have to think if they want to take a chance of nominating Sanders and losing ALL branches of govt. My gut says Cruz and Clinton get second looks from people that may not have been strong supporters.

Most republicans, including establishment stalwarts, feel Trump is more electable than Cruz.

The President gets to nominate judges, that's how the system works. Let's not even pretend like Republicans would approve anyone other than an extremely right-wing judge. Their idea of fair and impartial is the complete opposite of the what the words mean.

Obama is going to at least try a clear liberal nomination. That's not any more impartial.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2016, 06:56:05 PM »

Only on atlas people would call this monster an FF.

Only people on Atlas would cheer his death.

Condolences to his family and friends.

That said, it's not his fault or anyone else's that SC Justice is the rare position that is a lifetime appointment. Like it or not, his death has dramatic policy implications, and everyone knows that's how it goes.
OkThen

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 0.35

« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2016, 06:56:17 PM »

I wonder if all GOP candidates saying "we should wait" would be willing to pledge not to make a SCOTUS nomination in the last year of their presidency if elected.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2016, 06:56:38 PM »

Most republicans, including establishment stalwarts, feel Trump is more electable than Cruz.

Obama is going to at least try a clear liberal nomination. That's not any more impartial.

That's not the point. The point is that Republicans are not going to approve anyone other than someone extremely conservative. This isn't a matter of Republicans wanting an impartial and fair justice.
psychprofessor

« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2016, 06:56:48 PM »

Yes, but do conservatives trust Trump? I can see an opening here for people to question his conservative credentials and say he doesn't have the stomach for these types of fights. I think Cruz can establish himself at the true conservative who will fight for their principles. In any event, my point was I thought he would get a second look.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2016, 06:57:31 PM »

Good riddance.  Can't wait to see who TRUMP appoints to replace him.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2016, 06:58:18 PM »

I wonder if all GOP candidates saying "we should wait" would be willing to pledge not to make a SCOTUS nomination in the last year of their presidency if elected.

Of course not. Republicans can be trusted to pick an impartial candidate. Democrats cannot.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2016, 06:59:51 PM »

There are no moderate Supreme Court Justices or Senators. Why is that so hard for Atlas to understand? lol

This is the forum that thinks that Bloomberg could win the presidency as a third party candidate lol
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2016, 07:00:07 PM »

Good riddance.  Can't wait to see who TRUMP appoints to replace him.
Don't be surprised if a President Trump nominates himself and his ego.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2016, 07:01:19 PM »

TRUMP will nominate Cruz.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2016, 07:01:42 PM »

My God, the GOP is already predictably despicable. As if the public didn't know Obama could be appointing more justices when they reelected him in 2012. This always comes up in presidential elections and the public has ALREADY DECIDED what should happen in this instance - Obama gets to make the appointment that should be approved as long as the qualifications as there. Utterly ridiculous.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies