The Politics of Strip Clubs: Are Lap Dances Free Speech? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 11:16:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  The Politics of Strip Clubs: Are Lap Dances Free Speech? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you believe that lap dances qualify as protected free speech?
Yes.

No.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: The Politics of Strip Clubs: Are Lap Dances Free Speech?  (Read 6189 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: July 03, 2007, 11:11:59 PM »
« edited: July 03, 2007, 11:13:34 PM by Verily »

No, I don't think lap dances are free speech. In fact, I don't think they are protected by a literal interpretation of the Constitution at all. However, were I a judge, I would strike down such laws for violating the spirit of the Constitution (namely, unnecessary regulation).

Of course, I've never been of the opinion that the Constitution did a very good job of enumerating or properly prioritizing what our rights should be, anyway.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 12:05:36 AM »

Of course, I've never been of the opinion that the Constitution did a very good job of enumerating or properly prioritizing what our rights should be, anyway.

So, in other words, if you had the power, you would choose (or people who agree with you at least) to decide what our rights should be, because the Constitution didn't do it "correctly".  Nice.

Is there something wrong with looking at the Constitution with a critical eye? I wouldn't call any of the Founding Fathers infallible, as you suggest.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 04:11:06 PM »

So, in other words, if you had the power, you would choose (or people who agree with you at least) to decide what our rights should be, because the Constitution didn't do it "correctly".  Nice.

Is there something wrong with looking at the Constitution with a critical eye? I wouldn't call any of the Founding Fathers infallible, as you suggest.
no, but they've done a pretty good job so far

That's neither here nor there. If there's something missing in the Constitution, it should be added. If there's something in the Constitution that shouldn't be there, it should be taken out. Any other position is an appeal to tradition fallacy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies