Post your most controverserial oponions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:15:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Post your most controverserial oponions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Post your most controverserial oponions  (Read 4286 times)
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« on: August 13, 2016, 12:50:12 PM »

Oddly enough, I support allowing at least children who are old enough to read a ballot the right to vote.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I definitely think there's no valid reason to prevent children above 10 or 11 (isn't that around when the capacity for abstract thinking develops?) from voting.

Other than or in addition to the fact that they have no idea how a county/state/nation should be run?

I mean, most adults don't possess that knowledge either, but at least they possess the capacity
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 03:11:37 PM »

Oddly enough, I support allowing at least children who are old enough to read a ballot the right to vote.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I definitely think there's no valid reason to prevent children above 10 or 11 (isn't that around when the capacity for abstract thinking develops?) from voting.

Other than or in addition to the fact that they have no idea how a county/state/nation should be run?

I mean, most adults don't possess that knowledge either, but at least they possess the capacity

12-year-olds also very clearly possess the capacity. Congrats, you've done a very good job debunking your own argument.

12-year-olds can regurgitate abstract ideas, but they don't have the life experience to know how things ought to be.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 03:35:13 PM »

12-year-olds also very clearly possess the capacity. Congrats, you've done a very good job debunking your own argument.

12-year-olds can regurgitate abstract ideas, but they don't have the life experience to know how things ought to be.

Neither do most adults.

Which, I think, is a good segway into my most controversial oponions:

People aren't competent to regulate activity that doesn't affect them directly. The modern nation state pretends that its laws are objective, but they inevitably reflect the interests and ideals of the dominant class; this contradiction will only be solved when people are allowed to form and reform the bonds of community in accordance with their goals - and respect the right of others to do the same.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies