Isn't California entertaining to watch? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 05:26:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Isn't California entertaining to watch? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Isn't California entertaining to watch?  (Read 3533 times)
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« on: July 21, 2009, 12:40:18 AM »

I've been looking at some of the other states' budgets, and it seems to me that many of them are in worse shape than California. Many of them have debts which are proportionally larger than California's debt (for example, New Jersey's debt is much larger per capita than California's debt). And yet California's budgetary woes make national headlines, while other states' budgetary problems do not. Why is this?

I can't help but wonder if it's due to a general dislike of California among so-called "heartland" Americans; they like the idea of California being held up and pilloried as an example of fiscal irresponsibility, because it fits into their notions of the fundamental nature of California vis-a-vie the rest of America.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 12:45:34 AM »

Because New Jersey is so popular... Wink

It's not just New Jersey. Mississippi's debt is almost twice per head that of California's. Why isn't this being reporting on? Or would it not be politically correct to call that particular State out? If not, why not?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 01:03:29 AM »

Is there a source that lists deficit by state?

http://money.cnn.com/news/storysupplement/economy/gapmap/

Bear in mind that this site just shows the state deficits. When including private debt in the total of projected expenditures, California drops to something like fifteenth place - with Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama ranked in the top three positions, respectively. So the State deficit actually doesn't tell you everything about the financial solvency of the states; privately-held debt can swing these numbers fairly drastically. And that's what we need to focus on solving first.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 01:20:38 AM »

Is there a source that lists deficit by state?

http://money.cnn.com/news/storysupplement/economy/gapmap/

Bear in mind that this site just shows the state deficits. When including private debt in the total of projected expenditures, California drops to something like fifteenth place - with Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama ranked in the top three positions, respectively. So the State deficit actually doesn't tell you everything about the financial solvency of the states; privately-held debt can swing these numbers fairly drastically. And that's what we need to focus on solving first.

What is the significance of "private debt" whatever that means in this context, in terms of state governmental solvency?  I need more bridge work here to understand your point.  Thanks.

The more private debt that is held by the citizens residing in a State, the less likely it is that State will be able to resort to levying State taxes to pay off its own debt. So while Louisiana might have a debt of "only" $1.8 billion, it's about as likely to pay that debt off as California, because of how cash-strapped its inhabitants are.

I guess because it's "expected" for Mississippi to be in trouble.  California, however, is one of our more wealthy and populous states.  The Economist's recent cover story regarding the financial situations of California and Texas is a good example.  No one cares about Mississippi...the world cares about California.

I doubt it very seriously. One never hears about the fact that, for instance, the South is the largest drain on the national debt (because it has the highest percentage of people on the dole out of any American region). It's right-wing political correctness, and it's sickening.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 01:29:05 AM »

I guess because it's "expected" for Mississippi to be in trouble.  California, however, is one of our more wealthy and populous states.  The Economist's recent cover story regarding the financial situations of California and Texas is a good example.  No one cares about Mississippi...the world cares about California.

I doubt it very seriously. One never hears about the fact that, for instance, the South is the largest drain on the national debt (because it has the highest percentage of people on the dole out of any American region). It's right-wing political correctness, and it's sickening.

Because mainstream news outlets would hate to paint the right-wing in a bad light?

Essentially, yes. Unless you're going to fall back on the myth of the Left-Wing Librul Media Establishment, which you and I both know is garbage.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 02:11:31 AM »

Because mainstream news outlets would hate to paint the right-wing in a bad light?

Essentially, yes. Unless you're going to fall back on the myth of the Left-Wing Librul Media Establishment, which you and I both know is garbage.

I never said that.  I agree that such a premise is garbage.  I also think it's garbage to imply that the media is in the tank for the Republicans.  It's also garbage to put forth a conspiracy theory that the media is trying to make California look bad because it isn't "right-wing".  I think most conspiracy theories are garbage...as well as conspiracy theorists for that matter (no offense, Einzige...well, yes offense, I guess).  Tell me, do you think Bush was responsible for 9/11?  Did the government fake the Moon landing?  Is Michael Jackson still alive? 

**snip conspiracy theory**

Uh, no, though nice job trying to discredit me without actually addressing any of my points (you can't). Exactly where did I posit a conspiracy theory ,you loquacious twit? Point it out to me, please? All I've suggested is that, because the right-wing has painted the media as being a liberal fifth column, they now consciously avoid critiquing the right so as to avoid that label (and hence lose viewers), even where it might be beneficial. That is not a conspiracy theory, moron, though it certainly helps your side to dismiss it as such. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies