SCOTUS nominee expected as early as this morning EDIT: looks like it's Garland (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:09:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS nominee expected as early as this morning EDIT: looks like it's Garland (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SCOTUS nominee expected as early as this morning EDIT: looks like it's Garland  (Read 14223 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« on: March 16, 2016, 07:35:07 AM »

Dems win by either winning confirmation of if not, GOP SENATE is history
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 07:52:26 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2016, 07:54:30 AM by Da-Jon »

They're not, polling is bad in OH, IL, WI & FL and NV, 4 seats needed for Dem majority. Obama is over 50 % Approval, inc party usually are reelected, see Bush W in 2004 and Bush I in 1988.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 12:37:51 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2016, 12:41:20 PM by Da-Jon »

Kirk is gone anyways, no way Obama's homestate will stand for this obstruction, it will doom Dold chances as well.

CLINTON will likely renominate Garland, long line of DemJews on SCOTUS, except for Sotomayor and the GOP. Just like its typical in unlikely event, Trump will nominate a Catholic.

Dems are smart to pick Garland of his Hebrew ancestory. The GOP already have problems with Clinton and middle aged women, it will only enhance that.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 03:14:28 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2016, 03:54:20 PM by Da-Jon »

Bernie Sanders isnt Bill Bradley and he knows how iimportant it is to defear the Koch bros and have a Dem US Senate. Hopefully, he realizes it soon, he has no path to victory.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 03:56:07 PM »

He's one of the most qualified candidates ever. He should get hearings. He should be confirmed.

But of course my party is way too stubborn to actually do it. I hope this kills the Senate GOP in November. We don't deserve the majority with the way these assholes are running it.

Look to the top Trump is running the show and unlikely event that he becomes prez, he wants that puck all to himself
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 03:01:50 PM »

You do want to keep some goodwill in case Ginsburg or Breyer should die under a Republican president.  It's quite possible that only very moderate justices will be confirmed by either side for as long as the filibuster is still in place, and I'd rather not see the SCOTUS filibuster get tossed to the side to quickly.  If Senate Democrats can use this precedent to force President Ryan to put Sandoval in Breyer's seat in 2023 or wait it out, it will all be for the better.  

I don't think goodwill means anything anymore with this generation of Republicans. They don't seem to care about anything but winning. They obstructed 6 years of Congressional duties in the middle of a bad recovery just so they could try and make Democrats look weak and ineffective, so as to win the next elections. If this was decades ago I may agree, but I don't see the usefulness at this point. I mean, do you personally think they would respect any sort of kind gestures from Democrats?

As for the filibuster - I've about had it with the filibuster entirely. If they begin obstructing just like before, I'd say get rid of the entire thing or change it substantially so as to make obstruction essentially impossible. I'd rather risk a Republican federal trifecta being almost unstoppable rather than let them obstruct absolutely everything a Democratic trifecta wants to do. Without the filibuster we could have made serious progress from 2009 - 2011.

60 votes was never supposed to be the number of votes required to confirm nominations or pass legislation, but now it's basically the de facto requirement due to GOP

Dems did have 60 voted but chose to go after health care.  They should of created a 401K plan, in addition to social security for younger workers in addition to health care
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 04:27:50 PM »

Merrick will be confirmed anyways, because a Trump victory is unlikely.  Dems arent looking to stop lawful citizens in obtaining guns. Keep guns from being concealed in public and out of hands of terrorist. Guns should be in a safe for hunters at home.

Unless you are a law enforcement security or police officer
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies