Carson: Gravity, where does it come from? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 10:19:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Carson: Gravity, where does it come from? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Carson: Gravity, where does it come from?  (Read 2788 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« on: October 02, 2015, 11:55:26 AM »

Honestly though, in my opinion, this is a terrible answer. The clear implication of his question is "we don't know yet... therefore God." If that is his reasoning, then he is a thoroughly uncurious person, which is the exact opposite of what a good President is.

Also, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 12:04:19 PM »

It hasn't been unified with quantum mechanics, but we do know where it comes from.

That's a rather big caveat. Either there has to be something gravity "comes from" consistent with quantum mechanics (and which has not yet been discovered), or our current understanding of either quantum mechanics and/or general relativity must be incorrect. The latter is very unlikely, so it's fair to say that it isn't known "where gravity comes from."

And if Carson had said anything remotely like that, it wouldn't have been a problem. In context, though, it's more like "psh... gravity, who knows, who cares? amirite?"
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 06:17:08 PM »

Honestly though, in my opinion, this is a terrible answer. The clear implication of his question is "we don't know yet... therefore God." If that is his reasoning, then he is a thoroughly uncurious person, which is the exact opposite of what a good President is.

Also, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs

So any POTUS who believes in God is unqualified?   Because if you have a conversation with an atheist about the original creation, you're often accused of using "The God of the Gaps" for anything, even if you put forth an articulate reason why you believe a higher power is the simplest and most logical explanation for that phenomenon ... Screaming "God of the Gaps" is becoming almost as you-can't-prove-me-wrong-so-I'm-right as shouting "God did it!"

Who's to say someday we won't find a "gap" that actually can only be explained by the works of a being outside of space-time?  Endlessly posturing that there will always be a non-designer related answer to the ultimate question isn't exactly logical, either.

That's not at all what I said. I just get the impression from Carson's comments that if he were president in 1961 and he were asked about going to the moon, he'd say "God clearly doesn't want us to go to the moon, or he wouldn't have made it so hard to survive in space." Or, if he had been president in 1920 saying "We don't know if women have the same mental capacity as men, but it's clear from God's words, he wouldn't want them voting." It's not faith that turns me off to a candidate, it's when faith is used as an excuse for ignorance or clamping down on the advancement of human knowledge.

Also, just for the record, I'm not an atheist. I don't know if that was the impression you got from my post, but it kind of looks like it from your response.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies