Democrats, unite! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 06:24:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democrats, unite! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats, unite!  (Read 6183 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: July 22, 2006, 09:05:38 PM »

"Gee, I'm really pissed at Bush and the Republicans and like Cardin/Webb/McCaskill/Brown/etc. but some guy in another state won a primary and beat the more moderate incumbent, because of that all Democrats are now completely tainted and I can't vote for any Democrat. I'm voting for the corrupt Bush rubber stamp."

Note: This was never a concern among Republicans over Specter. Everyone agreed that the only seat at risk there if Toomey won was Pennsylvania, and it'd have absolutely no effect on anything else.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 10:11:39 PM »

"Gee, I'm really pissed at Bush and the Republicans and like Cardin/Webb/McCaskill/Brown/etc. but some guy in another state won a primary and beat the more moderate incumbent, because of that all Democrats are now completely tainted and I can't vote for any Democrat. I'm voting for the corrupt Bush rubber stamp."
We're going after the undecideds, not those that have probably already decided to vote Democratic.  Those undecideds are going to see this race and think "wow, this party isn't the big tent party I thought it was.  Any party that would vote out a mainstream popular senator because of a single issue and put in a loser in his place that doesn't even have a clear position on that issue is NOT the party for me."  Those are the people who will be deciding this election.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lamont is running on a single issue--the war--but has had seven different positions on it, and trying to make that one issue define Democrats, being blatantly misleading because Joe votes with the Dems 90% of the time.
Toomey didn't run on a single issue, he ran a broad conservative campaign that was truthful when it pointed out that Specter is not a mainstream Republican.  These campaigns are hardly comparable.

These arguments are basically contradictory. Look at how unpopular the war is! If a Democratic senator loses because of his support for the war, that's not going to turn off anyone against the war, which based on current polls is basically everyone who isn't already in the GOP's back pocket.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 11:30:39 AM »

I wouldn't have voted for Lieberman in 2000 either, so my opposition to him is not only due to the war (and it's not because of him running for VP and Senate at the same time, I didn't care about that)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 11:50:29 AM »

What about his prudish campaigns against media and video game violence?

He also supports school vouchers.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 11:56:11 AM »

Here's a few non-military related votes where Lieberman voted the way Gary Bauer supported:

http://capwiz.com/cwf/issues/votes/?chamber=S&congress=1062&votenum=33
http://capwiz.com/cwf/issues/votes/?chamber=S&congress=1071&votenum=115
http://capwiz.com/cwf/issues/votes/?chamber=S&congress=1071&votenum=179

Note that in the last vote Lieberman voted to the right of Zell Miller, Conrad Burns and the two Senators from Wyoming.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies