Gay marriage opponents' strategy uncertain in 2015 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:26:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay marriage opponents' strategy uncertain in 2015 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay marriage opponents' strategy uncertain in 2015  (Read 19860 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: April 22, 2015, 02:35:21 PM »

The key thing now will be to see if there will be any exemptions allowed in society to a genderless definition of marriage. Will clergy who refuse to perform same-sex marriages be able to keep their ability to solemnize vows in the eyes of the state? I could see that changing in the next couple years.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 03:17:01 PM »

While I disagree with CCSF's tone, he is correct this time.
The key thing now will be to see if there will be any exemptions allowed in society to a genderless definition of marriage. Will clergy who refuse to perform same-sex marriages be able to keep their ability to solemnize vows in the eyes of the state? I could see that changing in the next couple years.
Only if we strip all clergy of the ability to perform a civil marriage would that be even remotely Constitutional.  I also fail to see the need.  What BLGT couple would want an anti-SSM pastor to solemnize their ceremony? Unlike florists, pastors perform an unambiguously religious role in a marriage for which ey are the celebrant.

They will claim harm from discrimination. Someone will be a church member and want their pastor to officiate their marriage, the pastor will refuse, causing hurt feelings. The couple will bring a lawsuit, which will win under an anti-discrimination/"Human Rights Act," with the finding that religious institutions are not exempt from generally applicable laws, and that allowing state recognition of marriages that are performed by clergy that do not respect marriage equality is a state endorsement of marriage.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 05:43:04 PM »

I don't see the issue. Clergy are not employees of the state, and churches/places of worship are not places of public accommodation.  I don't think anyone's seriously saying that  pastors who are against gay marriage should be required to perform them  anyway. What supporters of gay marriage are asking is that the state recognizes same-sex marriages and affords them equal rights and protections under the law.

Religious beliefs are a private matter (not "private' in the colloquial sense, but in the legal/constitutional sense) , and a particular religious belief (e. g. opposing homosexuality) should never be a basis for legally codified discrimination.   Same-sex marriage is a public issue, since it concerns  state discrimination that has been legally codified. That is what I wish more opponents of gay marriage would understand.

Catholic Charities could be barred from being involved with adoptions in Massachusetts because they did not want to facilitate adoptions to gay couples.  That it was a church-based organization did not matter because adoptions were overseen by the state. Wouldn't marriages be similar in this regard?  We've seen the definition of what counts as private shrink dramatically.   "Public accommodation" originally had to do with accommodations in the basic sense of one's needs to food and shelter. It has come to mean all manner of optional services and clubs.  Gay marriage is not only being insisted upon with regard to the state. If there is an exception with regard to clergy, it is a notable exception that would buck the trend.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 08:58:51 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2015, 09:00:54 PM by shua »

Normally if you have a ceremony officiated by a clergy a civil ceremony is not required.  What I am saying is that the state could make it so that clergy who oppose same sex marriage might have their civil authority removed by the state.  Under this they might still have the marriage ceremony, but they'd have to go to a judge and have it performed there as well.   Wouldn't be the end of the world from my perspective considering what we've seen already, but that's where I see this headed.

The interpretation of the law seems to be changing to place less weight on freedoms such as religion and speech compared to nondiscrimination.  I would have never thought, for example, that a person could be sued for not engaging in photography. That I would think would be a clear first amendment case, but the U.S. Supreme Court never even took it up when the New Mexico Supreme Court ruled the way it did. 

People have been so up in arms about generic RFRA laws because they think they might, counter to all precedent, allow for discrimination against gays.  But I can't be concerned about the much more substantial momentum in the direction of absolutizing anti-discrimination claims above all other concerns?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 03:15:53 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2015, 03:26:26 PM by shua »

Normally if you have a ceremony officiated by a clergy a civil ceremony is not required.  What I am saying is that the state could make it so that clergy who oppose same sex marriage might have their civil authority removed by the state.  Under this they might still have the marriage ceremony, but they'd have to go to a judge and have it performed there as well.   Wouldn't be the end of the world from my perspective considering what we've seen already, but that's where I see this headed.

Except no one is going to do that?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah, I don't see the problem here. You can't abuse religious freedom as a trump card so you can violate others' secular rights.

Really pathetic that you have to outright lie about this now.

I and many others on this forum have explained to you several times that 1.) the Indiana law was not a "generic" RFRA, otherwise this would've been an issue in the late-1990s/early-2000s. The Indiana law specifically granted corporate personhood and extended the "religious freedom" defense to civil suits, in addition to the people who helped write the bill openly bragging that it will allow discrimination, and 2.) the reason it has no precedent is because this is the first time an RFRA law was passed with such provisions.

Why do you keep ignoring these arguments? This is the third time I've had to explain this to you. Do you not want to acknowledge them? Are you unable to mentally comprehend what I am saying?

No, because discrimination is a pretty serious issue, and supporting it is not a legitimate "concern".

At some point I get tired of the raw hostility surrounding my beliefs on this on this site and have other things to do so I'm sorry I haven't adequately addressed all your points before. I recognize you think I am some sort of a bigot because I've been a consistent defender of freedom of conscience and religion on myriad issues as they relate to a wide variety of spiritual and humanistic traditions. That's fine if it makes you feel important or whatever.  So, can we dispense with the argumenta ad hominem?

By generic RFRA law I meant a RFRA law that does not go outside the framework of the Federal law to specify that it covers cases of discrimination.  The Federal RFRA law was written in response to Employment Division v Smith's removal of the substantial burden test in favor of letting laws stand if they were of general applicability regardless of burden.  The features of Indiana's RFRA laws were clarifications to make it function as a pre-Smith version of the First Amendment.  A constitutional right cannot be violated by the government, nor can it be violated by any person or nongovernmental org suing to enforce a law.  The fact that Hustler Magazine was a for-profit enterprise sued by a private individual Jerry Falwell did not mean that they were prevented from raising the First Amendment as a defense. 

As Prof. Douglas Laycock, influential in the drafting of the Federal RFRA,  explains:

So Indiana's RFRA was not something different than what had been a respected interpretation of the Federal RFRA law, or expected under pre-Smith 1st Amendment law.  If religious freedom were to allow a Jim Crow against gays, they would be some evidence - such as  allowing the actual Jim Crow to continue back when the 1st Amendment was interpreted as having a stronger protection for religious freedom. But there is no precedent here to speak of. 

In the post you responded to here, I was explaining why we could expect that we haven't seen yet the full extent of erosion of religious liberty. I surmised a possible extension of this, which you assured us would never happened, even as you took a look at the reasons why I thought it might and declared them all positive developments you hoped would have no limit. Afleitch has posted in this thread a detailed explanation of why he believes discrimination against same-sex relationships by churches are unlike those against other religions, so it's not strange for me to think that someone would at least try to change the law in this area. If I can take you at your word that you believe anti-discrimination should always trump religious freedom, then there's no reason why you too wouldn't want to force clergy to marry a same-sex couple against their wishes.

What we have been seeing is an attempt by reproductive and gay rights groups to fundamentally alter the relation of religion to public life. There's no reason to think the effects will be limited to discrimination even broadly defined. The move is from the pluralism and freedom of conscience tradition that has its roots in this country in Roger Williams and William Penn, to a secular laicite coming out of the French Revolution.  The idea that religion needs to hurry back inside the walls of the church/synagogue/mosque/temple etc as soon as it offends certain sensibilities strikes against what so many religious groups have found valuable about America in the past.  The idea that as soon as you enter the marketplace you have a fundamental legal duty to please your customer regardless of your own values is a novel one - at least in a non-monopoly setting. The EEOC is currently representing a complaint brought by Muslim truck drivers fired for not wanting to deliver beer. Pretty soon it may be the Muslim truck drivers being fined by the government for harming the nation's beer drinkers.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 06:01:00 PM »

At some point I get tired of the raw hostility surrounding my beliefs on this on this site and have other things to do so I'm sorry I haven't adequately addressed all your points before. I recognize you think I am some sort of a bigot because I've been a consistent defender of freedom of conscience and religion on myriad issues as they relate to a wide variety of spiritual and humanistic traditions. That's fine if it makes you feel important or whatever.  So, can we dispense with the argumenta ad hominem?
It is rather important to me, because your "opinion" and defense of the provisions of and motive behind laws like Indiana's RFRA kinda, y'know, disrespects my existence? As well as the existence and rights of millions of people?

If that was actually what the Indiana RFRA law was, no one would have a problem with it. But the Indiana RFRA law contained two passages that specifically went beyond what the federal law and 19 other state laws contained, by extending corporate personhood to pretty much all business entities and extending the "religious freedom" defense to civil suits, in addition to three of the backers present at the signing ceremony openly bragging that it will allow discrimination against LGBT people. If Pence signed a regular RFRA law, literally no one would care, and this whole debate would not have happened.

Why do you consistently refuse to address this point I and many others have made repeatedly? You're not "too busy", you just don't want to address it. You have all this time to write walls of text of flowerly language and endless truisms, surely you can reply to the questions I have asked you repeatedly about your positions.

I addressed it in the rest of that paragraph. Must be just coincidence you didn't read or quote it along with the rest of my post.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies