Rush Limbaugh defends Somali pirates (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:00:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rush Limbaugh defends Somali pirates (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rush Limbaugh defends Somali pirates  (Read 2601 times)
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« on: April 16, 2009, 10:56:44 PM »

The pirates didn't kill anyone, so the killing of them was clearly excessive force.

Are you joking? Please tell me that you're joking. Please tell me that you don't see the holding of an American citizen at gunpoint as something other than justifiable cause.

Somehow, I suspect that the American taxpayers payed more for that rescue operation than the ship would have had to pay to the pirates. While piracy is certainly detestable, and should be punished, it seems that the ship takes that risk when it goes in those seas. It would be better to allow American ships to carry guns. Additionally, since those pirates were killed, I will bet that future irates will be less hesitant to take American lives.

I'm not disputing that private shipping companies need to bear the costs of defending their shipments; it is not the government's job to hold their hand. Nevertheless, in a situation where the life of an American citizen is directly threatened - and by this I do not mean some Republicanesque conspiracy theory, but a situation where a life hands definitively in the balance - then it becomes the government's job to act if no other way to rescue the citizen is available.

Well said.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 03:15:54 PM »

lol @ at Einzige linking to the Keith Olbermann site.  Rush Limbaugh's idiocy is a foregone conclusion, but using Olbermann's idiocy to evidence Limbaugh's seems like overkill.  It's "idiocy within idiocy".  Do they somehow cancel each other out?  Tongue

Despite your attempt to justify yourself with a fallacy of equivocation, it won't work: Olbermann is significantly more intelligent - and vastly more rational - than Limbaugh. You make the same mistake that moderates do in presuming the 'truth is somewhere in the middle'.

The whole thread is a false premise.

You think that Limbaugh meant it 'as a joke'? Then f**king prove it. Otherwise shut your goddamned trap. He went on for ten minutes expanding on this statement. I'm tired of you assholes getting away with calling every faux pas a 'joke'.

Considering I listened to that days show, I can 100% confirm that he said it as a joke, right at the end of a segment.... I know I can't ever satisfy you to that point, but myself and anyone else who has common sense knows that he was saying it as a joke.

That's the old Limbaugh shuck and jive.  He tells a black caller,  "Hey Willie, call back after you take the bone out of your nose".  But it's just a joke.  He suggests that blacks lack the intellect and discipline to be NFL quarterbacks.  But it's not supposed to be taken seriously -- he's an "entertainer".

I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt a hundred times.  But after the hundred and first, even a dim bulb like me starts to see a pattern.

That's not what he said about McNabb at all. He said McNabb is overrated because he is black. If a white QB choked in as many big games as McNabb, they would be gone.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies