Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 01:49:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oppenheimer wins 7 Oscars (Best Picture) (film & awards)  (Read 23490 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« on: January 19, 2020, 05:24:28 PM »

Same as yours except 1917 as Best Picture.

Cinematography is correct.

Has Brad Pitt ever won an Oscar.

It's a shame Lighthouse was snubbed.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 05:08:26 AM »

Well, I would've voted for 1917, but Parasite was a solid film and I definitely liked it better than Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Looking back on films released from 2010-2019, I only agreed with the Academy on the best film twice: 2013 for Twelve Year's a Slave and 2010 for the King's Speech.

Yup. Similar. Out of the list, 1917 was simply more enjoyable. I thought Parasite was good, but fell away slightly towards the end.

Would have given it to Midsommar to be honest.

And Lighthouse should have been nominated.

Having films of that quality missing out is a sign of a healthy and fertile movie production pipeline.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 09:54:51 AM »

I;m personally looking forward to seeing The Current War when it comes out.
I've been interested for 3 years now, but it got bad reviews and my hype has dropped considerably.

It's a good film about US history. I really enjoyed it.

The advent of his abundant electrical inventions takes the story in multiple directions.

I try and avoid ratings. You end up missing really good films.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 04:30:35 AM »
« Edited: March 02, 2020, 05:03:40 AM by Meclazine »

I;m personally looking forward to seeing The Current War when it comes out.
I've been interested for 3 years now, but it got bad reviews and my hype has dropped considerably.

It's a good film about US history. I really enjoyed it.

The advent of his abundant electrical inventions takes the story in multiple directions.

I try and avoid ratings. You end up missing really good films.
My problem is that I always have so many films that I want to watch that I have to miss some in order to watch others. Those that I am truly hyped up about I will watch regardless, but others where my interest level is "medium", I sometimes put on the back-burner if the reviews are bad.

Just watched:

Where'd You Go, Bernadette (2019)

"Architect-turned-recluse Bernadette hates people, she hates leaving the house, and more than anything, she hates the other parents at her 15-year-old daughter Bee's school."

Amazing film (with average reviews and no real reason to watch it).

If you are after a film where you have family and children watching together, this is a classic family film.

Very clever film making.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 09:14:01 AM »

A couple of films worthy of your attention if you have not seen them. Dont research them because so much internet = spoilers.

1. Blackcoats Daughter (2015)

Un-nerving.

2. Mandy (2018)

My girlfriend Mandee refused to watch it with me because she watched the YouTube trailer and read a review. I was a little dark

3. Don't Breathe (2016)

Immaculate production. Tense.

It's hard for me to put on a movie without my girlfriend trying to look it up on the net. So i have introduced a phone ban on the couch and i play films without telling her anything.

Otherwise she will read the review during the first 5 minutes of the film which drives me crazy.

She can choose whatever films she likes. She brought us Hereditary, which was phenomenal.

I like films that have a story which is new to your brain.

No spoilers.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 02:47:12 AM »

Just watched "Come To Daddy" (2019).

One of Elijah Wood's better performances.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 01:27:47 PM »

Swallow (2019)

That was a great film in terms of production, atmosphere and tension.

No spoilers. Just watch it without the trailer, as the trailer does have spoilers.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 07:50:41 PM »

Perfect Corona-virus film to watch whilst in isolation:

David Lynch

Eraserhead (1977)

I was always under the impression it was late 1980's because that is when I first saw it after a summer of alcohol and bucket bongs. And I was freaked out then.

But to have made it in 1977 is a true reflection of the genius of his film-making. 
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 02:37:17 AM »
« Edited: March 24, 2020, 02:55:16 AM by Meclazine »

Here is a film based on a short story by H.P. Lovecraft.

Born into wealth in Providence, Lovecraft was a sickly child whose parents died insane. His mother had hoped for a daughter and dressed him as a girl for much of the first decade of his life. He suffered two nervous breakdowns before he was fifteen. He was a known xenophobe, racist and anti-Semite.

Howard Phillips Lovecraft inspired modern day authors of success such as Stephen King ("The Shining"), John Carpenter ("In the Mouth of Madness"), Robert Bloch ("Psycho"), Clive Barker ("Hellraiser") and Anne Rice ("Interview with the Vampire").

Most of his short stories were hand written as he refused to type them. As such, many publishers would not accept his work.

Despite being one of the most famous and influential authors of all time, he was a virtual unknown during his lifetime, and died in poverty.

There has never been a direct adaptation of any of his stories......until now.

Richard Stanley

Color Out of Space (2019)

A provocative and disturbing film on many different levels.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 07:39:36 AM »

A film about Austrian Franz Jägerstätter and his family living during the turmoil of World War II.

Terrence Malick

A Hidden Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJXmdY4lVR0
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 08:52:07 PM »

A film about Austrian Franz Jägerstätter and his family living during the turmoil of World War II.

Terrence Malick

A Hidden Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJXmdY4lVR0
I had wanted to see this. How good was it?

Very interesting to view World War II through a completely different lens. For example, I would like to see a WWII film from the perspective of a German or Russian soldier on the Eastern front.

The Western Front was done to death.

Nothing wrong with the production quality of "1917", "Dunkirk" and "Saving Private Ryan", but an equivalently produced film(s) from the Ukraine or Belarus during the same period would be welcome.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 11:43:39 PM »

Clint Eastwood

Richard Jewell (2019)

A really well produced film. Enjoyed the portrayals and the gripping storyline.

One of those films that enters the psyche.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 10:06:07 PM »

Sorry to be posting here more than everyone else, especially with my tendency for overlong posts, but I have to get my thoughts out on this film because I've been really bothered by it! I don't even care if you read this or not.

Incoming spoilers, obviously.

I finally saw 'Once Upon a Time In Hollywood' and really disliked it. The whole film felt disjointed and pointless to me. It's Tarantino's second worst film after 'Death Proof.' And I say that as a fan of his. Not the biggest, blindest fan of his as some tend to be, but a fan nonetheless.
Post here as much as you want. I created this topic hoping it would see a lot of posts year-round.

Yeah, post here as much as you want. As Atlas' best movie reviewer, absolutely no one is going to complain about the quality of your reviews.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies