In Search of Obama-Trump Voters (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 11:30:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  In Search of Obama-Trump Voters (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In Search of Obama-Trump Voters  (Read 6213 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« on: January 01, 2017, 04:59:02 AM »

I know three 2x Obama-Trump voters. One is a manager at the factory that I work at; he was won over based on trade+immigration issues and hadn't forgiven Hillary for her husband's signing of NAFTA. He voted for Obama in 2008 enthusiastically and in 2012 reluctantly. Another one is an elderly part-time security guard at the college I went to (he's from Eastern Iowa originally), who was a typical union Democrat from the rust belt who never voted GOP ever and revered Kennedy and Tom Harkin. His vote was primarily due to trade issues, and that Obama hadn't done enough to try and stop the hemorrhaging of jobs. The last one is the father of a friend, who is a big swing voter (Reagan 80-84, Bush 88, Clinton 92-96, Bush 00, Kerry 04, Obama 08-12, and now Trump 16) and who mostly votes on whoever he trusts more.

As an aside, I know far more non-voters, and voters who don't vote often, who voted for Trump.

I know only one, but - direct relative.   My cousin in Indiana. It's all very simple for him - absolute personal rejection of Clinton's personality. His words about her: "liar", "corrupt", "smug", "heartless". "cynical",  and so on. By his own words - he (and almost anyone around) was ready to vote for Sanders. But - not for her. I think such cases of personal rejection were rather frequent...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 06:57:18 AM »

I know three 2x Obama-Trump voters. One is a manager at the factory that I work at; he was won over based on trade+immigration issues and hadn't forgiven Hillary for her husband's signing of NAFTA. He voted for Obama in 2008 enthusiastically and in 2012 reluctantly. Another one is an elderly part-time security guard at the college I went to (he's from Eastern Iowa originally), who was a typical union Democrat from the rust belt who never voted GOP ever and revered Kennedy and Tom Harkin. His vote was primarily due to trade issues, and that Obama hadn't done enough to try and stop the hemorrhaging of jobs. The last one is the father of a friend, who is a big swing voter (Reagan 80-84, Bush 88, Clinton 92-96, Bush 00, Kerry 04, Obama 08-12, and now Trump 16) and who mostly votes on whoever he trusts more.

As an aside, I know far more non-voters, and voters who don't vote often, who voted for Trump.

I know only one, but - direct relative.   My cousin in Indiana. It's all very simple for him - absolute personal rejection of Clinton's personality. His words about her: "liar", "corrupt", "smug", "heartless". "cynical",  and so on. By his own words - he (and almost anyone around) was ready to vote for Sanders. But - not for her. I think such cases of personal rejection were rather frequent...
Your cousin is a Democrat or a "Democrat Leaner"?

I suppose - leaner. He was an ethusiastic backer of Obama in 2008 and (may be somewhat less enthusiastically) voted for him in 2012. But this time he bolted... His son (my nephew) in California stuck to Hillary, bet $1000 on her win - and lost them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies