1980 Presidential Election: Four More Years? (GAME THREAD)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:59:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  1980 Presidential Election: Four More Years? (GAME THREAD)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: 1980 Presidential Election: Four More Years? (GAME THREAD)  (Read 14221 times)
NOT gonna be banned soon
Golfman76
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2016, 05:13:39 PM »

REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT CAMPAIGN SCHEDULE, DECEMBER 30TH, 1979 TO JANUARY 5TH, 1980

Note: Because I am on a trip, my schedule will be smaller than my other schedules. Also, I will put my ads and endorsements on this post as well

December 30th, 1979
Fly to New York
Eat New York Pizza

December 31st, 1979
Witness the ball drop
Prepare for a rally in New York city tomorrow

January 1st, 1980
Rally in New York City
Fundraiser in New York City
go to Albany

January 2nd, 1980
Rally in Albany
Fundraiser in Albany
Fly to Nevada

January 3rd, 1980
Rally in Las Vegas
Fundraiser in Las Vegas
eat dinner

January 4th, 1980
Fly to Texas
Rally in Dallas
Fundraiser in Dallas

January 5th, 1980
Rally in Lubbock
Fundraiser in Lubbock
Fly to Oklahoma
Rally in Oklahoma city
Fundraiser in Oklahoma city

REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 1980 ENDORSEMENTS

George H.W Bush

Let me tell you about Reagan, he has the guts to tell it like it is. Anderson and McCloskey are nothing more than Democrats in all but name.

Bush will be a Reagan surrogate

Bob Dole

In a time like this, we need strong leadership. The Carter administration has been the weakest administration in my life. Vote Reagan for a strong administration and a prosperous America!

Dole will be reaching out to Midwestern voters

REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 1980 ADS

"Extremist"

They are a lot of extremists everywhere

Like the ones that attacked our embassy

The ones that took our hostages

The ones that burn our flags screaming "Death to America!"

Everyone has a different opinion of whose one and whose not. Now, you may ask, "What is a presidential candidate's idea of an extremist? Well, lets see

"Don't nominate an extremist like Ronald Reagan.", Said Pete McCloskey

"Reagan's policies are the same sort of extremism from the Dixiecrats!" Said John Anderson

Of course, the extremists aren't anti-American foreign flag burners that attack embassies and take hostages, nah, its Reagan! Hes the extremist!

Well, no, he isn't. The only people who think that are those that don't see whats going on in the middle east. McCloskey and Anderson both don't know whats going on in the middle east, they don't think an Extremist is an embassy attacker, they think it is their opponent. Vote for Governor Reagan.

To be aired in: Iowa, Massachusetts and New Hampshire

FINANCES

Raised: 10 million dollars
Spent: 9 million dollars
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2016, 05:27:56 PM »

REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 1980 ENDORSEMENTS

George H.W Bush

Let me tell you about Reagan, he has the guts to tell it like it is. Anderson and McCloskey are nothing more than Democrats in all but name.

Bush will be a Reagan surrogate

I've forgot to mention that H.W Bush is locked as an endorser/surrogate until further notice Smiley He's not yet planning to endorse anybody (this is a surprise)
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2016, 06:11:59 PM »

Ron Paul endorses Ronald Reagan, says ads are coming.
NOT gonna be banned soon
Golfman76
United States

« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2016, 06:39:48 PM »

Ron Paul endorses Ronald Reagan, says ads are coming.

Huh, thanks!
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2016, 10:06:13 PM »

You're very welcome.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2016, 05:02:24 AM »

I will be posting the questions later.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2016, 06:56:28 AM »

Anderson files/is available for the Iowa caucus and the New Hampshire, South Carolina, Massachusetts, and Puerto Rico primaries.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2016, 12:44:04 PM »

Indicate first if you will join or participate in the Republican debate. So I will only make questions for those who will participate.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2016, 08:02:55 PM »

Posting tomorrow evening.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2016, 08:51:30 PM »

Anderson will participate in the debate.
NOT gonna be banned soon
Golfman76
United States

« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2016, 01:18:16 AM »

Reagan will participate in the first Republican debate.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2016, 05:09:14 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2016, 06:23:02 AM by NE Rep. RGN (Fed-NY) »

Republican Party Presidential Debate I
Ames , Iowa – January 1980

Good evening. I'm Ruth Hinerfeld of the League of Women Voters Education Fund. We're pleased to be in Ames for the first of our 1980 Republican Party Presidential Debates. The League is a non-partisan organization. We're presenting these debates to provide citizens an opportunity to see and hear the candidates state their positions on important issues of concern to us all. Our moderator is Barbara Walters.

Barbara Walters: Thank you, Mrs. Hinerfeld. My colleagues and I agreed to participate tonight, although the questioners are limited by the constraints of the format, because we thought with the League of Women Voters, that it is desirable to seek a comparison of views on a few issues in a joint appearance by the men who would be the nominee of the Republican Party in the next year’s election.

The following candidates at stage, accepted the League of Women Voters' invitation to be here. The candidates will respond with their views on certain issues posed by questions from my colleagues Joseph Kraft , syndicated columnist; John Chancellor of NBC News; James Hoge , editor of the Chicago Sun Times; Hal Bruno , chief political correspondent of Newsweek magazine and Elizabeth Drew , New Yorker magazine. None of the questions has been submitted in advance to either the League of Women Voters, or to the candidates, or to their representatives. The candidates do not have prepared notes or comments with them this evening, but they may make notes and refer to them during the debate.

Gentlemen, thank you for coming. The ground rules you agreed upon with the League are brief.

We will begin this debate tonight with opening statements of each candidate. Each panelist will ask a single question from every candidate. At the end each of you will make closing remarks. (single post only)

We ask the audience to abide by one simple ground rule: Please do not applaud or express approval or disapproval during the debate. You may do that on the primaries.

QUESTIONS
Joseph Kraft’s question for JOHN ANDERSON: Rep. Anderson,  everyone seems to agree that solving the economic problems of inflation and unemployment or stagflation, as most people call it, has to be given top priority. After economic problem, what do you see as the next most urgent and crucial domestic problems? In what order of importance would you go to work on such problems as the rise of unemployment, tax reform, health insurance, help for the poor and the elderly, in short, after the economy and the hostage crisis perhaps, what would be the very specific priorities of your administration?

John Chancellor’s question for PETE MCCLOSKEY:. Rep. McCloskey , our unemployment rate has gone up to 6.3% . Most of the analysts say that the president should use the full powers of the government, if necessary, to combat unemployment. Specifically what measures would you advocate and at what point?

Barbara Walters’ question for RONALD REAGAN:. Governor Reagan,  I would ask you to engage in as many specifics as you possibly can. What politically unpopular measures are you willing to endorse, push and stay with that might provide real progress in reducing inflation considering that this country is currently in a recession?

James Hoge’s question for JOHN ANDERSON:  Rep. Anderson , Under what circumstances would you use military forces to deal with a military crisis like the hostage crisis right now. I ask this question in view of charges that we are woefully unprepared to project sustained power in that part of the world.

Hal Bruno’s question for PETE MCCLOSKEY:  Rep. McCloskey, your two opponents and you have criticized the president over his handling of the hostage crisis, but what would you do to prevent such crisis like that again?

Elizabeth Drew’s question for RONALD REAGAN:  Do you think that holding annual summit meetings with the Soviet Union will result in agreements that would satisfy the interests of this country?

QUESTION TO ALL CANDIDATES: If you’re elected and the grain embargo against the Soviet Union is still in effect, are you willing to drop or lift the embargo?

P.S.: Questions are from/inspired from the past debates.

LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2016, 08:01:24 AM »

Barry Commoner Campaign Schedule

December 30, 1979
Record TV ad: End the two-party corruption!

To be aired in

December 31, 1979
Fly to Portland, Oregon
Drive through Oregon, making speeches
Have a new year party in Baker City

January 1, 1980
Ring in the new year
Rest

January 2, 1980
Drive into Idaho
Barnstorm

January 3, 1980
Drive across Montana
Barnstorm
Rally in Helena: "The politicians have failed us long enough!"

January 4, 1980
Fundraise in Billings
Fly to Atlanta

January 5, 1980
Campaign in Northern Georgia

"The earth is the most important issue in this election, but the bureaucracy won't discuss it!"
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2016, 08:10:14 AM »

John Anderson Debate Answers

Question 1
"My first priorities as president, of course, will be to grow our economy and bring our hostages home from Iran.  Tax reform will be a major cornerstone of my administration.  One of the main reasons our economy is suffering right now is because our tax system punishes small businesses and job creators.  The highest tax bracket currently pays over 70 percent of their income in taxes.  That's too much.  Our corporate tax is also one of the highest in the developed world.  If you want to know why our manufacturers are cutting American jobs, just look at that.  I want to cut income taxes across the board, for every taxpayer, and lower our corporate tax rate to stimulate economic growth.  Now Governor Reagan likes to talk about cutting taxes, but his record shows something else.  As governor, he proposed the largest tax increase by any state in American history.  He raised sales taxes by 60 percent, income taxes by 40 percent, and inheritance taxes by 150 percent.  And now he wants us to think he's a tax-cutting conservative?  If you want a president with a proven record who will fight for hard-working taxpayers, then I'm your candidate."

Question 2
"If you want to know why we're woefully unprepared for a crisis like the one in Iran, then just look at the man in the White House.  Jimmy Carter has appeased our enemies at every turn, making us weaker at home and abroad.  If I'm president, I will do everything in my power to bring our hostages home, and will consider military action if necessary.  As for the general issue of using the military in crisis, I think we have to be selective about how we do it.  I believe that we should limit our force to areas where there is a direct threat to American security, such as the current hostage crisis.  But e can't afford to stick our fingers into every foreign affair.  We tried that in Vietnam, and it failed miserably.  We should start by exhausting all diplomatic options we have, and if they fail, then we can keep war on the table.  But war should be our last resort as a nation, not our first."

Question 3
"When I'm president, I will never drop or lift our embargoes against the Soviet Union or any other communist state.  These countries are sworn enemies of the United States, and pumping money into their economy so they can continue to undermine our peace and security is absurd.  By continuing the embargo, we also support our own grain producers here in America by increasing their market.  It's for that reason that I would continue to allow the export of American grain to the Soviet Union.  When a communist state depends on us for their food supply, it sends a message to the world of American strength and Soviet weakness."
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2016, 06:10:11 PM »

bumping this.
This turn will end Monday at 11:59 PM EDT
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2016, 06:26:38 PM »

bumping this.
This turn will end Monday at 11:59 PM EDT
Awesome, thanks for the reminder.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2016, 07:30:00 PM »

This turn will end later at 11:59 PM EDT
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2016, 08:56:21 PM »

PETE MCCLOSKEY SUSPENDS CAMPAIGN
Today, I'm coming to you from campaign HQ in California. In seeing the direction in which this party is headed, with Governor Reagan's massive lead, I feel my presence in the race would be of detriment to the brand of Republicanism I seek every day to promote. No longer are moderates in command of the GOP. A new extremism is on the rise, with coded racial attacks, a reckless foreign policy, and a disregard for transparency and open government, which are true conservative values. Governor Reagan was a mouthpiece for Richard Nixon and is tied to him at the hip. It is inexcusable that Americans would go so far as to consider somebody who was such an ardent proponent of keeping a corrupt leader in office. Thus, because I feel that I would be splitting the moderate vote, I am suspending my campaign today and issuing a full-throated endorsement of congressman John Anderson, who I know is a commonsense Republican with the best plans of any other candidate in this race. He is a man of integrity, passion, and reason, which is what we need more of in Washington. Please vote for Rep Anderson!
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2016, 10:00:42 PM »

Carter Campaign Schedule:  December 30, 1979 - January 6, 1980

Tuesday, Dec 30: ALABAMA/GEORGIA
Sandy Springs - Town Hall
Atlanta - Barnstorming
Birmingham - Rally on "Peace For The Eighties"
Montgomery - Town Hall on "The Fight For Full Employment"

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thursday, Dec 31: WASHINGTON D.C.
- Interview w/ ABC News
- Presidential Duties

Friday, Jan 1: IOWA
Davenport - Barnstorming
Marion - Town Hall on "Expanding Health Coverage to all Americans"
Waterloo - Barnstorming on "The Fight For Labor Rights"

Saturday, Jan 2: IOWA
Cedar Rapids - Barnstorming
Des Moines - Rally on "Labor Rights for Minorities"
Iowa City - Town Hall

Sunday, Jan 3: NEW HAMPSHIRE
Concord - Barnstorming
Berlin - Rally on "Pension + Pension Reform"
Derry - Town Hall on "Drug Reform"

Monday, Jan 4: NEW HAMPSHIRE
Manchester - Rally on "Income Inequality"
Keene - Town Hall
Hanover - Rally on "Fixing Our Education For All Of Our Children"

Tuesday, Jan 5: WASHINGTON D.C.
Meeting w/ Senator Hollings
- Working on Passing Humphrey-Hawkins in it's entirety
- Presidential Duties

[/quote]

Campaign Funds
Fundraising - $12,612,243

73% from Individuals
21% from Small Businesses
6% from Unions and Big Businesses

Campaign Payments -
To Campaign Staff - $8,213,853
To National Ads - $2,321,100
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2016, 11:14:35 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2016, 08:37:19 AM by Governor NeverAgain »

Special ABC News Interview With John Chancellor

CHANCELLOR: Good Evening. This is a Special ABC Evening Report coming straight to you from The Oval Office with President Jimmy Carter. Good Evening Mr. President.

CARTER: Good Evening, John.

CHANCELLOR: First Mr. President I want to address some recent news coming from your own party. Governor George Wallace says America needs an experienced leader and criticizes you as an "inexperienced peanut farmer" while also stating that America is "bullied around the world, being too afraid to get our people back from Iran". Do you agree with Governor Wallace's assessment?

CARTER: Well, I agree with Governor Wallace that we need an experienced leader - and that experienced leader is me.  There is only one candidate who has experience leading our nation as President - and that candidate is me.  And I will put my experience up against Governor Wallace anyday - he has run now five failed racist campaigns for President whioe I have actually done the job. Governor Wallace is within h8s first amendment rights to say these things, but saying is not doing.

CHANCELLOR: In other news, last week you announced the Invasion of Afghanistan by the U.S.S.R., what are your plans on how to do deal with what some have called a extreme breach of international law.

CARTER: We are part of an international alliance working to re-establish Afghanistan's sovereignty.  We have imposed sanctions against the USSR and will continue to do so until they yield to international law and withdraw from Afghanistan.

CHANCELLOR: Lastly, some recent Democrats have attacked your apparent non-position on the ERA. Can you clarify what your stance is on the matter?

CARTER: I support the ERA and will do everything possible in my second term to get it passed.  It's time that we recognize the equality of more than half our nation . . . besides, Rosalyn would make me sleep on the couch if I didn't.

CHANCELLOR: Thank you Mr. President and I wish you luck this November.

CARTER: Thank you, John.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2016, 07:17:34 AM »

The next round will start tomorrow. I still have to rate your works Smiley
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2016, 02:02:31 PM »

I'm still the only one who's answered the debate questions.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2016, 02:08:20 PM »

Statement from Anderson Campaign
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2016, 02:22:47 PM »

John Anderson Campaign Endorsements

Governor William G. Milliken (R-Michigan)
"With Congressman McCloskey now out of the race, there is only one candidate left who can carry the torch for moderate Republicans.  That candidate is John Anderson."

Gov. Milliken will serve as Michigan campaign chairman and will campaign for Anderson in his state.

Senator Lowell Weicker (R-Connecticut)
"John Anderson is exactly the kind of leadership we need in the White House for the next four years."

Sen. Weicker will serve as Connecticut campaign chairman and will campaign for Anderson in Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts.

Senator John Chafee (R-Rhode Island)
"Congressman Anderson represents the right kind of moderate Republican leadership we need to win the presidency in 1980."

Senator Chafee will serve as Rhode Island campaign chairman and will campaign for Anderson in Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2016, 08:59:02 AM »

I'm still the only one who's answered the debate questions.
Should we extend this to accommodate Golfman76? I'll start this round by tomorrow. If he's not yet posting anything by tomorrow then there would be no mention yet of the debates Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies