Liberals and class (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 06:04:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Liberals and class (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Liberals and class  (Read 1804 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: June 08, 2005, 04:32:44 PM »

The oldest, and perhaps still the most compelling, of these concerns is class. In the vision of the left, we are born, live, and die in a particular class -- unless, of course, we give power to the left to change all that.

I don't think liberalism makes any claim of altering the class system, merely facing it and emeliorating its worst effects.  One cannot eliminate the class heirarchy of capitalism without actually eliminating capitalism.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 04:37:19 PM »

I couldn't say, as I am not familiar with them.  However anyone can see the heirarchy around us in everyday life.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 11:44:50 PM »

If this is a class-ridden society denying "access" to upward mobility to those at the bottom, why is it that immigrants can come here at the bottom and then rise to the top?
This is a non sequitur. Many immigrants who "rise to the top" are well-educated: more so than many Americans.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Also, many immigrants who appear to 'rise to the top' were in fact from the top of their own societies, and brought capital with them or had access to the borrowing of capital from other upper-class family members.  Of course as Emsworth pointed out above the educational level of successful immigrants is typically very high - another indication they came from the upper class in their own countries.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 10:04:00 PM »

Philip, I agree with you 1000% that liberalism is part of the problem, not the solution.

Liberal programs have enabled destructive behavior, such as out-of-wedlock childbearing, that contribute to the perpetuation of poverty, crime, etc.  All these factors come together in a deadly vortex to trap people into the cycle of poverty.

Blaming the victim.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies