Non-Gallup/Rasmussen tracking polls thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:34:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Non-Gallup/Rasmussen tracking polls thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32
Author Topic: Non-Gallup/Rasmussen tracking polls thread  (Read 142739 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: November 07, 2008, 10:16:30 PM »

So, 538's poll average-based model doesn't show the effect you allege because...?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #651 on: November 07, 2008, 10:28:27 PM »

So, 538's poll average-based model doesn't show the effect you allege because...?

1.  Would you provide a link?

2.  Would you explain why, in terms of national polls, none were outside the MOE, except those showing a lead for Obama?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #652 on: November 07, 2008, 10:40:17 PM »

fivethirtyeight-dot-com

They weight by sample size, and time elapsed since release, and pollster record.  But unless you can explain why doing so removes the Bradley Effect, your suggestion that Obama under-performed vs. state polls is unfounded.

2.  Would you explain why, in terms of national polls, none were outside the MOE, except those showing a lead for Obama?

n=2?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #653 on: November 07, 2008, 11:17:11 PM »

fivethirtyeight-dot-com

They weight by sample size, and time elapsed since release, and pollster record.  But unless you can explain why doing so removes the Bradley Effect, your suggestion that Obama under-performed vs. state polls is unfounded.

Please provide a link.  The only thing I've found was this:  http://www.newsweek.com/id/165030/page/2

You must be logged in to read this quote.

n=2?
[/quote]
[/quote]

n=3, if I understand your point.

We've been looking at a number of tracking polls:

Zogby (understandably)
Gallup
ABC/WP
(These overcounted and are outside the MOE)

TIPP
(overcounting, but inside the MOE)

Rasmussen
R2K
(Undercounted, but inside the MOE)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #654 on: November 07, 2008, 11:24:37 PM »

Sigh.

fivethirtyeight-dot-com = www.fivethirtyeight.com

C'mon man
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #655 on: November 07, 2008, 11:41:46 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2008, 11:48:52 PM by J. J. »

The section the particular point you are making, "538's poll average-based model." Roll Eyes

The Supertracker?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #656 on: November 07, 2008, 11:55:03 PM »

The section the particular point you are making, "538's poll average-based model." Roll Eyes

The Supertracker?

"Trend-Adjusted" under the right-hand side.  Did you bother to read the FAQ, or look through the entire page?  It's pretty self-explanatory.

Yes, that method is used with the Supertracker.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #657 on: November 08, 2008, 12:52:36 AM »

The Supertracker?

"Trend-Adjusted" under the right-hand side.  Did you bother to read the FAQ, or look through the entire page?  It's pretty self-explanatory.

Yes, that method is used with the Supertracker.

Well, one difference is that I look at only the last week of polling, in the case of tracking, final polls.  I treat polls as a snapshot of the electorate and I want the photo to be close to the event.  So that would be one difference, probably the main one.

A also look for trends, basically where McCain underperformed and Obama didn't under preform, or where Obama was in the MOE and McCain wasn't.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #658 on: November 08, 2008, 01:28:58 AM »

Wait, so the Bradley Effect was contingent upon the place in the election cycle?

Besides, the weighting was done in such a way that polls in the last week were hugely over-weighted relative to earlier ones.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #659 on: November 08, 2008, 06:00:56 AM »

We should remember in the midst of glorifying 538 that all his talk about cell phones and young voters emerging turned out to be bull.

But, JJ, there clearly wasn't a Bradley effect to be noted this time around. That is pretty obvious. If anything, Obama did slightly better than the polls predicted but they were generally just pretty much spot on.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #660 on: November 08, 2008, 07:30:02 AM »

Wait, so the Bradley Effect was contingent upon the place in the election cycle?

Besides, the weighting was done in such a way that polls in the last week were hugely over-weighted relative to earlier ones.

Alcon, what I am looking at is basically the number of voters who don't answer the polls accurately.  In many cases, they answer undecided.  There were also true undecideds out there, but they tend to make up there minds before election day.  For this reason, I look at ending polls and really don't want to to include polls that are 30 days old, or 15 days old, or 10 days old.

There were also legitimate shifts in opinion within the last 30 days.  PA is a good example.  The polls closed about a week out, then bounced back.

No weighting just the last snapshot.

Gustav,  in the national tracking, there was.  We had three national tracking polls (out of six) that over counted Obama and did so outside outside of the MOE.  Two of them were not Zogby.  Smiley  I suggested that there would be a small Bradley Effect, 1-2 points.  That small effect seems to be there.  Now, did it make a difference?  No.  Was it a polling artifact?  Yes.  A large one? No.  An effect that has been measured over time and is declining?  Yes.

If I had to say what it was, at this point, 1-3 points, in this election.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #661 on: November 08, 2008, 07:55:00 AM »

Alcon, what I am looking at is basically the number of voters who don't answer the polls accurately.  In many cases, they answer undecided.  There were also true undecideds out there, but they tend to make up there minds before election day.  For this reason, I look at ending polls and really don't want to to include polls that are 30 days old, or 15 days old, or 10 days old.

There were also legitimate shifts in opinion within the last 30 days.  PA is a good example.  The polls closed about a week out, then bounced back.

No weighting just the last snapshot.

Gustav,  in the national tracking, there was.  We had three national tracking polls (out of six) that over counted Obama and did so outside outside of the MOE.  Two of them were not Zogby.  Smiley  I suggested that there would be a small Bradley Effect, 1-2 points.  That small effect seems to be there.  Now, did it make a difference?  No.  Was it a polling artifact?  Yes.  A large one? No.  An effect that has been measured over time and is declining?  Yes.

If I had to say what it was, at this point, 1-3 points, in this election.

There are plenty of reasons why the polls were wrong. Gallup obviously just screwed up. There isn't as of yet any obvious reason as to why the Bradley effect would show up in some trackers and not in others.

The relevant fact is to look at the state level, imo and possibly at subsets like white blue collar workers. If there was a Bradley effect it should have been evident in states like PA, OH or NC imo. And it clearly wasn't. If anything, Obama did a tiny bit better in those states than the polls predicted.

I'm not saying there weren't one or two Bradley voters somewhere but it was completely insignificant.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #662 on: November 08, 2008, 10:23:22 AM »

Obama did end up doing slightly better in the national polls than he did on election day. It could well have just been the MOE, or maybe the undecideds broke for McCain for millions of other reasons other than race, or perhaps Democratic enthusiasm, as high as it was, was still overestimated.

No evidence at all though that the state polls overall were biased to one candidate or the other.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #663 on: November 08, 2008, 10:46:29 AM »

Why are you guys still arguing with him? It was clearly the Bradley Effect. Wink
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #664 on: November 08, 2008, 11:38:11 AM »

We should remember in the midst of glorifying 538 that all his talk about cell phones and young voters emerging turned out to be bull.

True, but not related to the model.

In any case, I guess we're just not understanding J. J. on the following:

1. Weighting based on pollster quality, age and poll conduct time somehow gets rid of the Bradley Effect, in a way I assume J. J. will refuse to explain.

2. Any over-performance by Obama is not the Bradley Effect.  Any under-performance probably is, despite the fact that Kerry under-performed polls, too.  Was his West Virginia performance the Bradley Effect?

3. Instead of using fancy-schmancy state polls, we should stick to three trackers, two of which "are not Zogby."

4. The Bradley Effect not showing up in states with racial tension isn't a sign of anything, for some reason.  Even if a state has no real history of racial strife issues (Utah), it should be assumed to be the Bradley Effect.

5. J. J. was going to argue for this, if he could find any remotely feasible opportunity to, no matter how intellectually dishonest it is.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #665 on: November 08, 2008, 08:21:01 PM »

True, but not related to the model.

In any case, I guess we're just not understanding J. J. on the following:

1. Weighting based on pollster quality, age and poll conduct time somehow gets rid of the Bradley Effect, in a way I assume J. J. will refuse to explain.

No, I'm suggesting that looking at two week old polls isn't that good.  I have explained the snapshot effect.  Going back, even with reducing the weighting, of polls 2-4 weeks ago, might show trending, but not the snapshot.

So far, we've had one state where Obama overperformed and more than a half dozen McCain overperformed.

No, I've been looking both national tracking polls and state polls.

What makes you think that it's a "racial tension" issue.  You are assuming something about the Bradley Effect that has never been claimed.

I didn't have up the national polls.  It is intellectually dishonest to make claims about "racial tensions" or claims that I'm not looking at state polls, when I've been discussing them.  :rolleyes:

It certainly is intellectually honest when I said, prior to the election, I thought PA could exhibit a Bradley Effect, and now say that the data doesn't show it.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #666 on: November 08, 2008, 11:17:12 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2008, 11:30:09 PM by Alcon »

Didn't you suggest that PA is likely to have the Bradley Effect because of racial tension?  (Caveat:  I was wrong to say that Utah has never had racial issues)

Okey doke, give me a list of pollsters.  Give me a timeframe.  We will agree on a methodology.  Either pick margin-vs.-final (margin minus final margin) or relative candidate-showings-vs.-final ([Obama minus final Obama]-[McCain versus final McCain]).  Then, I will run a poll compilation and test for statistical significance.

If there is no statistical significance, will you finally admit you are wrong -- or at least overestimated the Bradley Effect to the extent it was eaten up by noise/something else?

If there is statistical significance, will you admit that there are plausible reasons other than a Bradley Effect?  At that point, we could debate the relative merits of the possible explanations--but only if there is statistical significance.  Otherwise, seriously, I could claim there's any damn effect and just believe in it no matter what.  Useless.

So, agreed?  Again, you get to outline the specific methodology.  Hell, we can do both, and with multiple timeframes.  It's your choose.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #667 on: November 08, 2008, 11:43:10 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2008, 11:45:10 PM by J. J. »

Didn't you suggest that PA is likely to have the Bradley Effect because of racial tension?  (Caveat:  I was wrong to say that Utah has never had racial issues)

No, the only thing I suggested was that it might be cultural.  Phil, Ice Hockey, and a slew of others (Murtha) basically said the same things.  It was more of "they're rednecks."

Okay.  All polls from 10/28.  We can argue if the poll is complete crap or not later.  Smiley

I'm looking at:

1.  Polls where McCain underpolled and Obama didn't underpoll.  For example:

Poll A:  Obama 48, McCain 44.  Actual result:  Obama 52, McCain 46.  This result would not show a true underpolling.

Poll B:  Obama 52, McCain 40.  Actual result:  Obama 52, McCain 48.  This result would show a true underpolling.

2.  Polls where McCain polled below MOE.

We'll start with that.

I'm looking for a polling artifact.  Except in really close races, it shouldn't make a difference in the result.

I really thought that we would not see it in national polls, but we did.  It didn't occur in some states where I thought it would occur, either.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #668 on: November 09, 2008, 12:34:47 AM »

No, you can tell me which polls are "complete crap" now.  You don't do an experiment and then toss out data points afterwards.  Why would you?  That serves no purpose whatsoever other than to potentially introduce bias.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #669 on: November 09, 2008, 01:03:46 AM »

No, you can tell me which polls are "complete crap" now.  You don't do an experiment and then toss out data points afterwards.  Why would you?  That serves no purpose whatsoever other than to potentially introduce bias.

I'm not reading the other posts, but there should be a standard for what polls are complete crap too, right?  538 doesn't toss out any polls, it just weights them on historical [primaries] accuracy...

I'll read the rest when I've cooled down in a week or two.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #670 on: November 09, 2008, 10:22:19 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2008, 10:35:11 AM by J. J. »

Alcon, I'm saying that I'm willing to look at it in the opposite direction.  You can have a poll that is terrible, but can still show an accurate result.  I'm will to say, even though I don't really think that poll is not particularly good, it got it right.  It's only going to be when that poll shows an undercounting for McCain, that I might we willing to say, "Well this might be a polling problem."

Let me put it this way.  In PA, we have Marist, which wouldn't be counted because it was out 10/27, but let's say it came out on 10/28.  It didn't undercount Obama, but did McCain.  It fits my criteria otherwise.  You could look at that poll and say, "Here is an example."  I'd be will to look at that and say, "That is not a particularly good poll." 

In other words, if the effect seems to be present, I'd say, "Let's go back and look at the specific polls."

If this shows up, I'd also like to look at margins, but let's look at this first.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #671 on: November 09, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »

That's fine, J. J., but I'm not going to let you throw out polls after I do the analysis, lol.  That would be incredibly unscientific.  My argument isn't with the concept that "some polls are crappy," it's with ex post facto toss-outs.

Are you willing to list which polls you consider acceptable so as to look at this objectively, or not?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #672 on: November 09, 2008, 02:30:34 PM »

That's fine, J. J., but I'm not going to let you throw out polls after I do the analysis, lol.  That would be incredibly unscientific.  My argument isn't with the concept that "some polls are crappy," it's with ex post facto toss-outs.

Are you willing to list which polls you consider acceptable so as to look at this objectively, or not?

No, I'd to look at every state and research every poll.  I want to look to see which states seem to have a B.E. and then see if some of those polls can be factored out.

If we were looking at the seven national tracking polls, for example, we'd get four polls that undercounted McCain, three that had it out of the MOE, the that undercounted McCain and none that undercounted him outside of the MOE.

We might discuss matters and say that we shouldn't count Zogby and Y2Kos (possibly due to the weighting, and I still don''t get how it undercounted Obama).   We'd then have 2 outside of the MOE, one inside underrcount, and two overcounts.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #673 on: November 09, 2008, 02:40:22 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2008, 02:45:18 PM by Alcon »

Well, you said you want to look at state and national polls.  State polls have many more interviews, and are many greater in number, than national polls.  Thus, can we agree that they're the best place to find the Bradley Effect?  There's no logical reason to weight national polls in your determination any more than state polls.  They're the same thing, but with a national sample, and there's fewer of them.

Now:  Why would you throw pollsters out after testing for the Bradley Effect?  Seems that would just potentially introduce unconscious personal bias.  No reason not to throw them out now.  Let's do that, and then I'll test for you.

So, choose which of the following pollsters you want to throw out.

ARG
CNN
Field
Insider Advantage
Los Angeles Times
Marist
Mason-Dixon
National Journal
PPP
Quinnipiac
Rasmussen
Research 2000 (DailyKos)
Selzer
Strategic Vision
SurveyUSA
YouGov
Zogby (phone)

Now, decide what time period you want polls from, and which of the two methods I mentioned you want to use.

We're applying an objective mathematical test to figure this one out.  Then, we can see whether there's mathematical support for a Bradley Effect or not.  Then, we find out the truth, right? Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #674 on: November 09, 2008, 11:32:03 PM »

Alcon, look at the last week of polling.  That would be step one.

Looking at the polls afterward will probably be favorable to the proposition that there is no Bradley Effect.  Now, if you don't want to do it, fine, but I don't want here, "Oh, you have to look at these bad polls," afterward.

On this thread, I've noted that the national tracks show something with Zogby, and posters get annoyed because I'm including Zogby, then I remove Zogby, and I still hear, "Well what about these other polls."
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies