Would Romney Have Been a Stronger Candidate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:19:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Would Romney Have Been a Stronger Candidate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Would Romney Have Been a Stronger Candidate  (Read 4445 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2008, 05:11:01 PM »

Romney?  lol
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2008, 05:12:52 PM »

From this:

To this:
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2008, 05:14:33 PM »

IMO I think it was a weak year for Republicans. Romney who really to me seemed like a CEO as someone pointed out earlier, Thompson with his rambling and incoherent speeches and Huckabee with
limited knowledge of economic conditions and religiosity.  And finally Rudy Giulianii who only could talk about 9-11 till he was blue in the face.  I was glad McCain got it.

I actually think Rudy Giuliani would wipe the floor with Obama If he some how got the nomination...New York would certainly be in play , As a social moderate New Jersey would be in play for the first time in years , plus Obama has never ran against anyone who could land a blow like  Giuliani   (see his convention speech)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! HA! HA HA ho ho hehehe and I thought my jokes were bad!

You don't think  Giuliani  could carry NYC against Obama or at least run VERY strong there, and if he could where in NY State would Obama make those loses up?
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2008, 05:16:31 PM »

IMO I think it was a weak year for Republicans. Romney who really to me seemed like a CEO as someone pointed out earlier, Thompson with his rambling and incoherent speeches and Huckabee with
limited knowledge of economic conditions and religiosity.  And finally Rudy Giulianii who only could talk about 9-11 till he was blue in the face.  I was glad McCain got it.

I actually think Rudy Giuliani would wipe the floor with Obama If he some how got the nomination...New York would certainly be in play , As a social moderate New Jersey would be in play for the first time in years , plus Obama has never ran against anyone who could land a blow like  Giuliani   (see his convention speech)

You don't think  Giuliani  could carry NYC against Obama or at least run VERY strong there, and if he could where in NY State would Obama make those loses up?

Giuliani couldn't even win the New York Primary. Why do you think he'd somehow flip the state in a General Election...if he even made it that far.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2008, 05:18:01 PM »

No, definitely not.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2008, 08:15:59 PM »

Actually it was a strong GOP field that offered primary voters a real choice.  I agree that many of them campaigned poorly, though.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2008, 08:19:37 PM »

Giuliani couldn't even win the New York Primary. Why do you think he'd somehow flip the state in a General Election...if he even made it that far.

Uhhhhhh, he dropped out before Super Tuesday.  Honestly, I wish he had run a competent campaign portraying himself as "America's Mayor."  9/11, terrorism, and Iraq were fading in importance in the primaries and are all but non-issues now.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2008, 08:25:52 PM »

Do you also think that Kathleen Sebelius would have put Kansas in play for the Democrats?  Cause she has at least a 60% approval rating there while Giuliani has like 30% in NYC these days.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2008, 11:10:59 PM »

Not even. It would be more like this:

If Romney ran a bad campaign or Obama a good one, he could even become competitive in KY, SC, & WV.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2008, 11:17:33 PM »

This election would already be over if Romney was on the ticket.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2008, 11:20:58 PM »

Haha once again. Roll Eyes  I guess it really is too much to ask for objective responses in politics.

No. I don't think he's a bad person and I don't think he's fundamentally a bad candidate. But I just don't think he'd have the same appeal of a McCain. He seems to be a pretty vanilla candidate in a time when the country favors (no pun I promise) chocolate.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2008, 11:34:11 PM »

Romney isn't vanilla flavored. He is garbage flavored. Tongue
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 01:37:31 AM »

Romney would not have done nearly that well in the South.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2008, 01:42:51 AM »

One thing though is that Romney would not be afraid to play every dirty card and trick in the book if he can get away with it.  If race-baiting, push-polls, or other tactics could gain traction, Romney could benefit from that.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 01:56:45 AM »

One thing though is that Romney would not be afraid to play every dirty card and trick in the book if he can get away with it.  If race-baiting, push-polls, or other tactics could gain traction, Romney could benefit from that.

Neither is McCain.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2008, 02:04:16 AM »

That's not true.  McCain and Obama will both play dirty, but Mitt would bring it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2008, 02:23:20 AM »

Gee, I'm so glad that the Republican nominee doesn't do any of that stuff.
/snark
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2008, 02:24:07 AM »

J. J. probably honestly believes Romney would be favored in Michigan *chuckles*

So if Mccain is within striking distance of Obama in Michigan right now, why couldn't Romney be slightly ahead  considering he did perform there well in the primary against Mccain and thus a reasonable person could conclude Romney is stronger in Michigan than Mccain

Read the exit poll.  (Both in Michigan, and in virtually every other state.)  McCain consistently outperforms Romney among Independents, self-described moderates, weak GOP partisans, people who are unhappy with Bush, and people who disagree with GOP orthodoxy on major issues.  This pattern holds up virtually everywhere.

Thus, it's reasonable to conclude that there were many more McCain voters who weren't going to vote for Romney in the general election than there were Romney voters who weren't going to vote for McCain in the general election.

Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2008, 02:26:41 AM »

Gee, I'm so glad that the Republican nominee doesn't do any of that stuff.
/snark

But Mitt would take it to a whole nother level: while McCain hasn't made an issue of Obama's middle name, Romney would. Romney's ads would feature Rev. Wright, Farrakhan, Sharpton, Ludacris, and Michael Vick. He would bring up O. J. at the debates. I could even see him going for some of the more moonbat stuff, like the Muslim rumor or the claim that Obama wasn't actually born in Hawaii.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2008, 02:41:56 AM »

This thread has made me remember how very depressed I was when McCain won Florida and effectively became the GOP nominee.
daboese
Germany

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2008, 06:37:07 AM »

...And how excited everyone got when he chose Palin as his running mate... Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2008, 06:49:22 AM »

Romney would have been smashed to pulp.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies