Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 12:56:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped  (Read 10944 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« on: April 15, 2016, 02:25:43 PM »

tl;dr:

I'm going to give you lots of care and help AFTER THE FACT, and do absolutely nothing to combat the culture of violence to PREVENT sexual harassment, assault, and hatred in the FIRST PLACE.  It's YOUR JOB to prevent violence by staying away from boozy parties.

Good luck!  I'm a moderate!
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 02:59:25 PM »

If you want to feel safe, not going to parties with a lot of alcohol is bad advice why? 

Because it denies the human agency of rapists and excuses their behavior.

"Be careful with food around your campsite" is good advice for avoiding problems with bears and raccoons. But we don't treat bears and racoons as people, and we certainly don't let them vote. What Kasich is implicitly saying is that its somehow unfair or wrong to create a standard that requires human beings to act decently (particularly towards women) thereby giving de facto permission for what is completely unacceptable, criminal and destructive behavior.

If Kasich had been asked about the Holocaust, and replied "Jews should have gotten out of Germany" his career would be over. Or, if he were God forbid, assassinated, no one would think that, "I guess he shouldn't have run for president" would be approrpirate.

Thank you.  You expressed it better than I could have.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 03:22:50 PM »

Stray observation:

I don't drink that much. However, many of my friends do. A LOT. And yet, somehow, despite all this alcohol, no one seems to be raping anyone.

Maybe it's not the alcohol that's causing the raping. Maybe it's rapists who are causing the raping.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 03:49:39 PM »

A terrible out of context quote, who would of guessed it'd be by sjk?

Here's the context:

Kasich was asked what he would do to prevent sexual harassment, violence, and hate.

In his response, he talked about how much he would care for women after the fact, and how safe he would make them feel.  WRONG ANSWER.

"There have been a string of burglaries up and down Maple Street.  What are you going to do about this as police chief?"

"Well, when I was an officer in Shelbyville, I made sure that people who were the victims of theft had someone they could talk to immediately about their burglary.  We had police officers ready so that they could file police reports and really get the ball rolling with insurance.  Let me tell you, I have a home, and it would be unthinkable if someone broke into it.  And, pro tip: remember to lock your doors!"

Umm... how about TRACK DOWN THE BURGLARS?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies