UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 01:50:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 126 ... 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 291434 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3000 on: November 26, 2021, 10:44:12 AM »

BoJo has started another war with France. Zzzzz........
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3001 on: November 26, 2021, 01:11:22 PM »

I do love how we replaced our EU size punching bag with a France sized one.

Not that Macron exactly helps himself. What he did over Astra Zeneca was shameless and brushed under the carpet by many FBPE types.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3002 on: November 26, 2021, 01:12:32 PM »

Dorries, like Johnson, appeared on trashy reality/panel/talent shows prior to holding important governmental positions. Usually it's the other way around - see Balls, Cable, Widdecombe and so on.

She’s someone who should and would have never held office under any other PM-he fact she even became a junior minister was a joke.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3003 on: November 26, 2021, 07:20:50 PM »

Not that Macron exactly helps himself. What he did over Astra Zeneca was shameless and brushed under the carpet by many FBPE types.

It's just as much in France's interest to keep the tiff going with the Presidential election there next Spring.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #3004 on: November 27, 2021, 08:38:20 AM »

It's just as much in France's interest to keep the tiff going with the Presidential election there next Spring.

I'm pretty sure you could write an entire academic thesis exploring just how much of the Anglo-French feud was motivated by diverting attention from domestic issues, rather than geopolitical conflict or xenophobia.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3005 on: November 27, 2021, 10:45:10 AM »

Yes, and much of his opposition is even more hawkish.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3006 on: November 28, 2021, 08:49:59 AM »

In a sign of how the Government is managing backbench relations today we've seen a select committee chair threaten a leadership bid & another (Caroline Noakes) being told by the PM's closest ally in the cabinet (Nadine Dorries) that she was making up her allegations of sexual harassment by the PMs father.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3007 on: November 28, 2021, 11:25:03 AM »

In a sign of how the Government is managing backbench relations today we've seen a select committee chair threaten a leadership bid & another (Caroline Noakes) being told by the PM's closest ally in the cabinet (Nadine Dorries) that she was making up her allegations of sexual harassment by the PMs father.

Who?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3008 on: November 28, 2021, 12:00:06 PM »

Who?

Simon Hoare- should have reworded to say he wasn't personally going to run, but rather that he expected one to happen if PM didn't improve.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #3009 on: November 28, 2021, 01:06:31 PM »

Caroline Nokes is hated across the party because of, amongst other things, her extremism on issues relating to gender and the like.  She's like the Tory Rosie Duffield except on the opposite side of that moronic issue.  Whilst I personally believe her accusations against Stanley (he has form on this) I can understand why fellow MPs aren't willing to take her seriously.

A WhatsApp* group called Liz for Leader has been set up by a Tory MP.  Also at least 2 MPs have written letters to Brady (more than 50 are needed).  It's just sabre rattling for now but it is indicative of how embattled Johnson has become over the last month.  His saving grace is that nobody is particularly hyped about Truss or Sunak.  Boris is ripe for picking but there's nobody ready to do the job.  Churchill's quote of the end of the beginning might apply.

* All internal Tory shenanigans take place on WhatsApp these days.  Most of the groupings of MPs (Northern Research, Covid Recovery etc) are primarily WhatsApp based.  Only China Research has any real life outside WhatsApp.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #3010 on: November 30, 2021, 06:37:32 AM »

It really is embarrassing having that man as PM.

Love BoJo.

So quintessentially English like The Beatles and Tea and Scones.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3011 on: November 30, 2021, 08:03:05 AM »

Born in the US, significant non-British ancestry. Yeah Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3012 on: November 30, 2021, 08:05:21 AM »

He even looks more like an upper class albino Tu... *gunfire*
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3013 on: November 30, 2021, 01:01:56 PM »

The idea that someone with a buffoon act and an irritatingly affected upper class accent is "quintessentially English" is part of what is so embarrassing.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3014 on: November 30, 2021, 01:23:46 PM »

The idea that someone with a buffoon act and an irritatingly affected upper class accent is "quintessentially English" is part of what is so embarrassing.

And dangerous. As an English fool, I rely on my accent to sound competent to foreigners. BoJo leaning into the stupidity makes it harder for the rest of us slackers and con artists.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3015 on: November 30, 2021, 04:57:04 PM »

I saw a United Airlines advert just after the US travel ban was lifted that ran "Get Your Sexy Accents Back Here", FWIW.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3016 on: December 01, 2021, 10:53:52 AM »

So it seems the "40 new hospitals" thing was even more of a fib than many suspected at the time.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3017 on: December 01, 2021, 12:12:33 PM »

The Matt Hancock redemption tour is going well.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #3018 on: December 02, 2021, 02:06:10 AM »

Is it true that British Evangelicals tend to vote liberal democrat ?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #3019 on: December 02, 2021, 05:50:44 AM »

I grew up in a UK evangelical household, which was typically Lib-Dem (occasionally Tory in certain constituencies). It was pretty common in our congregation too.

I know things are a little more fractured now, but that was certainly the state of affairs in the 00s and the coalition years.

As a disclaimer, most of that time was in Scotland, where tactical voting has become more common, and we lived in a LibDem-SNP marginal seat.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #3020 on: December 02, 2021, 06:13:55 AM »

I grew up in a UK evangelical household, which was typically Lib-Dem (occasionally Tory in certain constituencies). It was pretty common in our congregation too.

I know things are a little more fractured now, but that was certainly the state of affairs in the 00s and the coalition years.

As a disclaimer, most of that time was in Scotland, where tactical voting has become more common, and we lived in a LibDem-SNP marginal seat.
Was there any particular reason for this ? Seems odd given that the libdem don't seem aligned to evangelicals on any particular issue and the electoral behaviour of their American brethren
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3021 on: December 02, 2021, 10:34:35 AM »

Major rule breaking by the PM and others last Xmas seems to have been just discovered by the media.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #3022 on: December 02, 2021, 10:35:44 AM »

Major rule breaking by the PM and others last Xmas seems to have been just discovered by the media.
This could be killer especially among the Tory membership which really resents the covid measures.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3023 on: December 02, 2021, 10:36:24 AM »

This could be killer especially among the Tory membership which really resents the covid measures.

Hmmm, maybe not. But it certainly won't help.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #3024 on: December 02, 2021, 01:05:26 PM »

Was there any particular reason for this ? Seems odd given that the libdem don't seem aligned to evangelicals on any particular issue and the electoral behaviour of their American brethren

It makes sense really.  The Tories aren't aligned with evangelical Christian beliefs so evangelicals aren't going to kneejerk vote Tory.  Also some evangelical families have voted Liberal right back to Gladstone so that probably plays a part.  Basically religion isn't a big deal in this country and people would put other considerations first when voting.

I don't vote Tory just because I'm a Christian.  I voted Tory because I thought they were the least bad option.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 126 ... 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies