Quiz: Where should you live?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 09:27:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Quiz: Where should you live?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Quiz: Where should you live?  (Read 758 times)
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2024, 11:51:16 PM »

Link

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 01:11:13 AM »

Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 07:31:14 AM »

New York City's the place where they said "hey babe, take a walk on the wild side…”
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 08:07:47 AM »

I got New York City. Which is the only US city I visited. Cool, will keep it in mind just in case.

My Top 10 was:

1. New York City - NY (0,58)
2. Washington - DC (0,57)
3. Chicago - IL (0,56)
4. Philadelphia - PA (0,56)
5. Boston - MA (0,55)
6. Baltimore - MD (0,55)
7. Denver - CO (0,54)
8. San Francisco - CA (0,53)
9. Portland - OR (0,53)
10. Seattle - WA (0,52)
-
11. Detroit - MI (0,52)
12. Milwaukee - WI (0,52)
13. Minneapolis - MN (0,52)
14. Cleveland - OH (0,51)
15. St. Paul - MN (0,51)
16. Newark - NJ (0,51)
17. Madison - WI (0,51)
18. Louisville - KY (0,50)
19. New Orleans - LA (0,50)
20. Jersey City - NJ (0,50)

But tbh, I believe my definitions of “hot and cold” are extremely different from what the quiz parameters understands, which is why the climate score likely deformed my results somewhat, with places like Los Angeles missing out as it got a very low score on that climate area.

Whereas for me, LA must be pretty average climate and the cities that got into the top 20 must be either quite too cold for me all year or at least during the winter.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2024, 09:38:00 AM »

1. New York, NY 0.70
2. Chicago, IL 0.64
3. Washington, DC 0.62
4. Boston, MA 0.61
5. San Francisco, CA 0.60
6. Los Angeles, CA 0.59
7. Philadelphia, PA 0.58
8. Seattle, WA 0.57
9. Baltimore, MD 0.56
10. Hempstead, NY 0.55
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 09:56:35 AM »

I ended up with Santa Clara, CA...I really am a product of where I grew up. [I'll preface that Santa Clara is a bit warmer and sunnier though.]
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2024, 10:02:31 AM »

Not great in its weighting. I prioritized "cheap housing" in my responses and somehow have a top ten dominated by expensive cities on the west coast.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2024, 06:09:43 PM »

But tbh, I believe my definitions of “hot and cold” are extremely different from what the quiz parameters understands, which is why the climate score likely deformed my results somewhat, with places like Los Angeles missing out as it got a very low score on that climate area.

Whereas for me, LA must be pretty average climate and the cities that got into the top 20 must be either quite too cold for me all year or at least during the winter.

"Hot" seems to be a daytime high temperature between 21 and 32 C, which isn't how I'd define a climate that's "hot" year round but does seem to correspond to an air temperature threshold where you'd want to turn the AC on or roll the windows down while driving.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 06:14:47 PM »

1. Washington, DC.
2. Denver.
3. Boston.
4. San Francisco.
5. New York.
6. Alexandria, Virginia.
7. Cambridge, Massachusetts.
8. Portland, Oregon.
9. Boulder, Colorado.
10. Chicago.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2024, 06:21:01 PM »

1. Washington DC
2. Denver, CO
3. Philly, PA
4. Boulder, CO
5. New York, NY
6. Boston, MA
7. Portland, OR
8. Louisville, KY
9. Pittsburgh, PA
10. Albany, NY
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2024, 06:56:17 PM »

"Hot" seems to be a daytime high temperature between 21 and 32 C, which isn't how I'd define a climate that's "hot" year round but does seem to correspond to an air temperature threshold where you'd want to turn the AC on or roll the windows down while driving.

So, 25 C isn’t “Hot” for me at all, just “Average”. Less than 20 C is “Cold” to me as I’m from Rio.

But when it appeared “Hot all year round” I naturally was more against those options as I tend to associate it to 30 C temperatures for the entire year.

I think that unfairly put down sunny options such as LA based on climate when that’s not what I understand as “Hot” at all, otherwise it would be ahead most of those cities as I do favor places with beaches.

My personal way of understanding temperature based on my experiences living in Rio and in Europe:

Less than 10 C - Cold as hell, don’t even feel like going outside or showering.
10 C - 15 C - Still quite Cold, uncomfortable but way more manageable that it doesn’t influence humor or daily routine.
15 C - 20 C - Comfy Cold, my favorite type of temperature
20 C - 25 C - Average Temperature, the best for daily routine
25 C - 30 C - Hot but not necessarily uncomfortable, great temperature to go to the beach
30 C - 35 C - Hot as hell and uncomfortable, but something I’m kinda trained to manage
More than 35 C - Unbearable. Reason why I hate Summer in Rio

I always thought I was a Winter person my entire life but that’s because I grew up in Brazil. In Spain it was the opposite, Summer was absolutely fantastic while Winter was too depressive, which I disliked.

Brazilian Winter = European Summer, in terms of what I enjoy.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2024, 07:37:48 PM »

So, 25 C isn’t “Hot” for me at all, just “Average”. Less than 20 C is “Cold” to me as I’m from Rio.

But when it appeared “Hot all year round” I naturally was more against those options as I tend to associate it to 30 C temperatures for the entire year.

I think that unfairly put down sunny options such as LA based on climate when that’s not what I understand as “Hot” at all, otherwise it would be ahead most of those cities as I do favor places with beaches.

My personal way of understanding temperature based on my experiences living in Rio and in Europe:

10 C - 15 C - Still quite Cold, uncomfortable but way more manageable that it doesn’t influence humor or daily routine.
25 C - 30 C - Hot but not necessarily uncomfortable, great temperature to go to the beach
30 C - 35 C - Hot as hell and uncomfortable, but something I’m kinda trained to manage

I always thought I was a Winter person my entire life but that’s because I grew up in Brazil. In Spain it was the opposite, Summer was absolutely fantastic while Winter was too depressive, which I disliked.

What's the coldest weather you've experienced? I've worked outside in -9 C before, which was a very interesting experience (and definitely not something I'd want to repeat.)
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2024, 07:48:23 PM »

Top 3:

Philadelphia, PA
Portland, OR
Louisville, KY

Makes sense.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2024, 08:14:56 PM »

What's the coldest weather you've experienced? I've worked outside in -9 C before, which was a very interesting experience (and definitely not something I'd want to repeat.)

Not sure, but it was Winter in Spain, Catalonia. It never really went below 0 C but there was a Night Frost in one particular night where it must have reached that while I was sleeping.

There was some small level of ice on the streets in the morning that time - something I had never experienced before or even after - and the subway stairs were so slippery that I fell. That was probably the closest I’ve been to see snow, but I’ve never did.

I’d say Winter in there usually varied from 15 C (max) to 5 C (min) on average but on the coldest nights it definitely went below 5 C and closer to 0 C, though I would likely stay inside on a blanket, so not same experience.

So the coldest I’ve really felt while on outside is probably something around 5 C. Anything less than 10 C would affect my mood a lot and I couldn’t even shower every day. While in Rio I often feel like showering more than once or even twice every day.

I remember between January and March were the worst months where I felt extremely homesick and climate definitely had an impact on that. It’s one thing to enjoy that Cold temperature for some limited days, but after a month of it becoming a routine I absolutely hated it and understood why Summer is popular in Western culture.
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2024, 08:16:35 PM »

1. Washington, D.C.
2. Boston, MA
3. Jersey City, NJ
4. Seattle, WA
5. Cambridge, MA
6. New York, NY
7. San Francisco, CA
8. Hempstead, NY
9. Denver, CO
10. Minneapolis, MN

I agree with about half of the results, and disagree with the rest (especially New York haha).
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2024, 10:46:40 PM »

I guess I prefer the Sun Belt:

1. Modesto CA
2. Louisville KY
3. Miami FL
4. Hialeah FL
5. Tempe AZ
6. Ashville NC
7. Miami Beach
8. DC
9. Atlanta
10. New Orleans

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2024, 10:47:47 PM »

That's it? 16F is the lowest you've been in? LOL.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2024, 11:28:34 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2024, 11:34:23 PM by NYDem »

1   New York, NY   0.55
2   Chicago, IL   0.54
3   Hempstead, NY   0.52
4   Boston, MA   0.51
5   Philadelphia, PA   0.5
6   Cleveland, OH   0.5
7   Milwaukee, WI   0.49   
8   Minneapolis, MN   0.49   
9   Buffalo, NY   0.49   
10   Rochester, NY   0.49

All 10 Northeastern/Rust Belt. Who could have predicted this??
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2024, 11:45:42 PM »

That's it? 16F is the lowest you've been in? LOL.

It's not the coldest weather I've been in but I was working outside at the job I had in high school. Coldest weather I've been in is -10F/-23 C. Certainly not comparable to the upper Midwest. When it snows in Northwestern NC it's usually only 20-30 F (-1 to -6 C), and that's the coldest place I've ever lived.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2024, 04:25:34 AM »

1. Seattle (0.59)
2. San Francisco (0.58)
3. San Jose (0.56)
4. Portland (0.56)
5. San Diego (0.55)
6. Oakland (0.55)
7. Fremont (0.55)
8. Huntington Beach (0.55)
9. Bellevue (0.55)
10. Carlsbad (0.55)

I can't say I'm too surprised by the results. Seven in California, two in Washington, and one in Oregon.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2024, 11:44:46 AM »

1. Huntington Beach, CA (0.61)
2. San Diego, CA (0.60)
3. Costa Mesa, CA (0.60)
4. Oakland, CA (0.59)
5. Tacoma, WA (0.59)
6. Oceanside, CA (0.59)
7. San Francisco, CA (0.58)
8. Hempstead, NY (0.58)
9. Islip, NY (0.58)
10. Chula Vista, CA (0.58)

Not a very good list!
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2024, 11:47:15 AM »

My top 10 results were all midsize CA cities. Huntington Beach was #1.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2024, 01:09:31 PM »

1. Denver, CO (0.61)
2. Washington, DC (0.6)
3. Pittsburgh, PA (0.6)
4. Boulder, CO (0.6)
5. Albany, NY (0.6)
6. Missoula, MT (0.6)
7. Louisville, KY (0.59)
8. Spokane, WA (0.59)
9. Boston, MA (0.58)
10. Buffalo, NY (0.58)
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2024, 01:31:44 PM »

I got Phoenix, Arizona which is strange because that is exact opposite of everything I want in place to live.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2024, 03:28:08 PM »

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. Seattle
5. Washington DC
6. Boston
7. Oakland
8. Philadelphia
9. Portland
10. Newark

In terms of my personal opinion, I'd move Washington up to the top two.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies