Should companies pay for their worker's healthcare or should the government?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 10:16:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should companies pay for their worker's healthcare or should the government?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who should pay for healthcare?
Government

Business

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Should companies pay for their worker's healthcare or should the government?  (Read 1081 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 23, 2011, 09:46:41 PM »

So what do you guys think? Why are more cars built in Ontario, Canada, than in Michigan?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 12:04:24 AM »
« Edited: September 24, 2011, 12:14:01 AM by phk »

Trick question?

I mean... it's a choice of....

Businesses =Private Insurance> Healthcare

and

Businesses =Taxation=> Government= Public/Private Insurance> Healthcare
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 12:52:36 AM »

Trick question?

and

More like
Businesses= Exorbitantly priced insurance or no insurance> Employee is vulnerable to disease so business buys life insurance policy on employee>  Employee gets sick and dies> Profit.

or

Business=Taxation=> Government=Public insurance> Healthcare for all.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 10:44:30 AM »

Trick question?

and

First of all, it's not necessarily true that businesses have to be taxed higher. Taxing individuals who can afford to pay is a much better route. Businesses can leave America but individuals cannot (will not, I should say lest I sound like Ron Paul). Lower the burden on businesses.

Also the question is who can keep Healthcare inflation in check the best. I don't think the current system has been doing such a good job of that, wouldn't you say?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 10:54:12 AM »

Government means tested subsidies of course.
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 11:24:46 AM »

It' pretty easy: The government organizes a healthcare system. This is financed by taxes. Everyone pays his share. The rich pay a lot, the poor pay little or nothing.
And everyone is ensured free healthcare, regardless of their income.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 12:41:59 PM »

Trick question?
and

No, its like this:

Workers>business>private insurance>'healthcare'

Workers>business>taxation>government>healthcare

Please try to remember, Phnk, it is the human toils which create things, not the 'business'.
t_host1

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 03:40:06 PM »

Problem with poll ?,

Where is the individual check box?

It's kind of like do I want vanilla ice cream on my fresh baked apple pie?

Why is a person(s)wanting to make or do something at his or her own risk liable for someone else's healthcare other than workplace safety?

This equation is more representative of the current situation
 Idea/risk>Workers thinks>business>taxation>government>healthcare=unemployable/unemployment

What are the odds for this coming months end unemployment stats? my guess is 3 to 1, 9.3 or higher for those getting a free ride and pushing 25% including not eligible for subsidies with those carrying the load having more to carry(national debt).

BTW - I don't like the coin toss for who gets the ball, getting the first chance to win during overtime pro football play - opposition must have an opportunity to counter.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 05:35:38 PM »

Neither.  People should be responsible for their own insurance needs.  That said, if companies want to include heathcare as a benefit of employment then that is their choice.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 05:46:06 PM »

False choice.
Right now we have the government subsidizing (through tax credits) employer based healthcare.
We should change that to subsidizing individual based healthcare.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 05:48:37 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2011, 05:50:15 PM by sbane »

False choice.
Right now we have the government subsidizing (through tax credits) employer based healthcare.

That would be just fine by me actually. It's still the government paying for it though...

And it gets employers out of the system. I don't see why your health should be tied to employment.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 06:56:53 PM »

The individual, through taxes.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 09:36:48 PM »

False choice.

That would be just fine by me actually. It's still the government paying for it though...

And it gets employers out of the system. I don't see why your health should be tied to employment.
Because the system was set up in a time when Bob C. America went to work for "the company" and was afforded a nice salary, pension, healthcare, and vacation time if he was "management" and while he duly voted Republican, it was understood that "the company" should provide these things since Bob was going to be devoting his working life to it.  For Bill T. America, you went to work at "the plant" and were afforded a decent wage, pension, healthcare, and vacation time fought for and guaranteed by your union and because you were "a worker", you voted for Democrats, and it was understood that "the plant" should provide these things since Bill was going to be devoting his working life to it.

Then after 30 or so years of such a system, these goliath companies, with corporate ladders and such, began to stagnate because there was no new innovation.  Coupled with greatly higher business costs due to inflation and higher oil prices, profits began to tumble.  Then came Reagan with his idea to spur entrepreneurship and investment by slashing taxes on the rich and on investments.  While innovation needed to be spurred, I believe, as a liberal, that he did it the wrong way.

Thus, companies began to take an approach of "we only need you for a little while" and you were expected to work for that company until you got sick of it and then you were to take your own retirement account and move onto the next company.  At the same time, they slashed wages and benefits and rewarded their executives with the extra money. 

Now we have a ton of innovation and lots of people who would like to be entrepreneurs but for the lack of resources in order to make their dreams reality as well as an endless mountain of red tape from centuries of supplementary government that never reforms or repeals or does anything except add a new regulation when someone screws up and it becomes clear we shouldn't allow such behavior anymore.

So.  If we're going to have an economy where people move around frequently from job to job where they constantly have to be trained... then businesses should be decoupled completely from healthcare except the taxes they pay and they should be forced to provide benefits and pay as well as the training appropriate for the employees they are hiring.  Those employees should be guaranteed health insurance and enough of a retirement to keep them out of poverty by the government, and businesses should pay employees enough that they can save to make up the rest.

Right now we do not have that.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 11:07:36 PM »

Actually the wide spread emergence of company paid for health care in this country dates to World War II.  Wages were frozen, but fringe benefits such as paid health and life insurance were not.  Hence companies that needed to encourage people to work for them offered benefits in lieu of the higher pay they were forbidden to offer.
t_host1

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 11:43:32 PM »

So, the reported 47% that do not pay taxes now, would then, be paying taxes for their healthcare, correct? That would be helpful...

... a couple of things about Snowguy716 points,
they're plenty of resources - capital, energy and materials - and just to clarify, it is Obama and his loyalist who are protecting their self interest by restricting the use of such, which is the criminal aspect of the current regime - 'restrictment of trade" is the charge.

and,

All future union contracts providing your required benefits will require the union to provide a surety bond(AAA) in the amount of 1/3 of the book value of said company. In the event of a union shop bankruptcy the union bond holder would pay up to 1/3 of the companies losses. For instance, the Ford upcoming Union contract renewal, will require the union to provide a $4B (AAA) bond guarantee payable to Ford accompanying the new contract. Of course, that is if I was running Ford, the only true American built car and truck.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies