SB 18-16: Federal Minimum Wage Policy Act (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 06:45:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 18-16: Federal Minimum Wage Policy Act (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 18-16: Federal Minimum Wage Policy Act (Debating)  (Read 2507 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« on: June 27, 2019, 02:54:57 AM »

I think the baseline currently is far too low even for rural areas and $12.50 is a fair amount. While the right likes to claim that the minimum wage increases unemployment, the evidence does not give it nearly the clarity they claim and there seem to be little to no employment impacts, while boosting the incomes if millions-this is socially and economically beneficial. It's time people are paid wages they can live on and this is a key step that we should take as a nation with few risks and many benefits-I strongly endorse this bill and believe it is an eminently reasonable approach.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 03:04:22 AM »

fhtagn are you using the one adult living wage as your ideal? I'd regard that as the bare minimum and below the living wages for many people so we need to start rectifying this situation as wages have been suppressed for decades and working people are suffering as a result. Even in the most rural county in Atlasia the minimum wage in this bill is far short of many of the living wages, we start from a very poor baseline and need to lift wages up.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 03:07:31 AM »

fhtagn are you using the one adult living wage as your ideal? I'd regard that as the bare minimum and below the living wages for many people so we need to start rectifying this situation as wages have been suppressed for decades and working people are suffering as a result. Even in the most rural county in Atlasia the minimum wage in this bill is far short of many of the living wages, we start from a very poor baseline and need to lift wages up.
And the regions already have an efficient system that ensures that a reasonable wage is paid based on where someone lives. The system isn't broken and there's nothing the federal government needs to fix.

Uh no if the minimum wage is drastically short of the living wage for many minimum wage workers everywhere then clearly something is broken and needs fixing.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 03:12:08 AM »

And I am arguing Yankee is incorrect as it falls short of many living wages, as I pointed out even in the most rural county many living wages are far above the current minimum wage and even the one proposed here. This really is a very moderate bill given the scale of the discrepancy. While you accuse me of not reading I have read your points and productively responded to them and taken them on board, however since you don't seem to be paying attention I just hope that the Congress and people of Atlasia as a whole do pay attention because the facts show that this bill is necessary and beneficial.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 03:45:50 AM »

I think the baseline currently is far too low even for rural areas and $12.50 is a fair amount. While the right likes to claim that the minimum wage increases unemployment, the evidence does not give it nearly the clarity they claim and there seem to be little to no employment impacts, while boosting the incomes if millions-this is socially and economically beneficial. It's time people are paid wages they can live on and this is a key step that we should take as a nation with few risks and many benefits-I strongly endorse this bill and believe it is an eminently reasonable approach.

The impact is mostly in terms of the lower minimum wages though and yes I think there is a certain capacity for raising it with minimal impacts. However there are always impacts, one is that smaller business are disadvantage compared to big business and another is that some area are impacted more than others because standards of living differ.

I realize that the right likes to talk about it yes and the left comes back with no evidence of impact, I think both are out of touch to some extent. I think there is a space where you can raise the minimum wage with no net negatives, certainly from $7.15 obviously, but that diminishes the higher it gets.

It isn't being raised $5 it is a much smaller raise due to the Atladian situation and given the points I have raised and how even this minimum wage is below many living wages and is just a first step to finally getting wages on track with living wages it is responsible and the benefits outweigh the risks. There is theoretically a minimum wage increase that would cause more harm than benefit but this is not it, no where close, it is reasonable and necessary, Atlasian workers need higher wages and the current system simply does not do enough.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 05:36:03 PM »

I thought we passed a bill earlier this year that indexed it to inflation and this is just increasing the baseline?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies