Is Trump done or can he still recover in time to win? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:52:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Trump done or can he still recover in time to win? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Trump done or can he still recover in time to win?  (Read 1911 times)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: August 12, 2016, 09:35:55 PM »

It's August. We'd be saying hello to President Dukakis and Dewey and Carter would have beaten Reagan, if the election were held in August.  Of course, Trump or any major Presidential candidate could overcome a deficit in August.

I won't touch 1948 because I have no idea how accurate polling was overall. However, Carter was not polling over 45% at any point post-convention, nor was Reagan ever behind by 10-15 points (in fact Clinton leads where Carter was at that point by 10-15.)

As far as 1988, Clinton's scenario is actually closer to Bush's than Trump's, as far as good approval ratings for the incumbent party.

I'm having an increasingly difficult time seeing Trump recover from where he's at, but if he does and ends up winning, 2000 would be the closest comparison polling-wise.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 03:17:41 AM »

He's old, set in his ways, and he's not going to change. He already said as much. He's going to keep doing what he's been doing. And where is that getting him?

He is done.

He's a dangerous mentally unbalanced man, and the longer he stays in the race the more damage he does. He appeals to crazies with guns. That's scary.

He needs to be taken out of the race by his party, the sooner the better. But they won't because they are gutless.

Unfortunately, as far as I know they couldn't even if they want to because procedural rules don't allow for removal of the nominee by the party--he'd have to withdraw of his own will, and we know that's not going to happen. So barring some change in formal rules (highly unlikely with so many actual Trump supporters in the party) he's here to stay until the election.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies