People's Referendum Amendment [Failed] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:26:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  People's Referendum Amendment [Failed] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: People's Referendum Amendment [Failed]  (Read 8605 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« on: August 06, 2007, 02:11:24 AM »

I motion to replace the text of the legislation with the following (in a friendly fashion):

Article 1, Section 3, Clause 5 of the Atlasian Constitution shall be created to read as follows:

Whence legislation becomes officially enacted, a national referendum shall be held on the legislation whensoever 3 regions pass resolutions calling for such a referendum within 2 months of the passage of said legislation.

When the Secretary of Forum Affairs recieves notification from at least 3 Governors that such resolutions have been passed, the Secretary shall organise a special referendum on the legislation on the next weekend falling not less than 4 days from the date on which he verified that the above requirements were met.

The question put to the people shall be a simple approval or disapproval of the legislation. A simple majority of the people voting against the legislation shall render it null and void.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 06:19:58 AM »

I don't think we have the participation levels that are high enough for regular elections, let alone attempts for a referendum.

Perhaps we should cancel the next few elections, then.  That will take care of the plotting dead red avatar squad.

I'm curious as to how the presence of some inactive members on the voter rolls is grounds to oppose.  It drives up the amount of support necessary to get a petition signed, and it's not like people who are truly that inactive will be influencing referenda on legislative issues.  If they're more active than you guys are giving them credit for, which I think they might be, having more elections will drive up participation and allow for more reason to look into the Atlasian process.  If people can challenge what happens in the Senate, they have more reason to check up on what we're doing in here.  That isn't a bad thing.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 06:01:23 PM »

Aye
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 08:03:53 PM »

I'm not saying that because there are inactive voters that we can't pass this amendment. I'm saying that this is not worth our time if there isn't enough participation overall.

The point of this amendment is to increase participation.  The fact that there isn't currently enough participation is exactly why this is a good idea.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 08:00:49 PM »

We don't always vote the same...
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 05:21:17 PM »

Nay.