Rust Belt 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:20:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Rust Belt 2020
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Rust Belt 2020  (Read 2775 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2016, 02:36:56 AM »

It's too soon to make any conclusions about states like WI/MI/PA, especially since their fate in 2020 depends not only on Trump, but who the Democrats nominate, and how they rebuild their party over the next four years. It's certainly foolish to call any of them Safe R (or even Lean R, for that matter), though IA/OH are looking much worse for Democrats. At the very least, those states will be harder for Democrats to win back.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2016, 04:39:04 AM »

People actually think Trump doesn't just do what Trump wants to do and that since this guy is on his team it automatically sets his policy for the next 4 years.

lol
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2016, 12:22:53 PM »

What am I suppose to say? If the term "rust belt" is going to offend people, please suggest to me an appropriate title for this thread.

Unless you want it, "Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania 2020"
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2016, 01:47:07 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2016, 01:50:03 PM by BuckeyeNut »

Most of those jobs are not coming back, unfortunately. The job market is shifting.

That doesn't address Buckeye's point, which I think is a good one.

You are correct, my apologies. I just do not see how it could be that offensive. But I will stick to the term Midwest.

Think of it this way. People embrace the term "blue collar." It gives them a sense of pride. "Non-college-educated white," on the other hand? You are, effectively, just calling people dumb.

As has been pointed out, the Midwest and the Rust Belt are not entirely the same--Rust Belt equates more with the Great Lakes Region, but that's not really my point either. Let's look at Ohio, for a minute. Columbus falls outside the rust belt, due to it's government-health-education economy, and so people there don't care so much. But look at Youngstown. Look at Cleveland. Look at Lorain. (And Pittsburgh, and Detroit, and Gary, etc.) Yes, these areas are going through a rough patch, but when you tell people they live in the "rust belt," you're seeing the forest and not the trees. You're telling people they live in a sh**t hole, and that's going to offend people who love their cities, both in sickness and in health.

EDIT: As for what to call it? That's not an easy answer. I didn't mean to personally call you out, but it's rhetoric both parties -- the Democratic one specifically -- need to seriously reconsider.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2016, 01:55:39 PM »

PA is in the Rust Belt, but not the Midwest.

And Wisconsin is in the Midwest, not the Rust Belt.

Parts of Wisconsin are in the Rust Belt.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies