Bullies force halt to vote on allowing alcohol sales in Pine Ridge (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:35:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bullies force halt to vote on allowing alcohol sales in Pine Ridge (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bullies force halt to vote on allowing alcohol sales in Pine Ridge  (Read 2264 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 17, 2016, 05:57:00 PM »

The Pine Ridge/Whiteclay situation is an absolute disgrace. I do not generally favor alcohol bans, but Pine Ridge is free to ban alcohol sales in their reservation, especially given the circumstances. Whiteclay's liquor store owners not only knowingly sell alcohol into a known problem community, but they do so in a way which is so irresponsible that it makes some organized crime groups look clean by comparison.
Native Americans who do not drink or are recovering from alcoholism have no right to force their inabilities to control themselves on those who can control themselves. I have two recovering alcoholics as parents, and neither of them flee the gas station in terror when they pass the beer freezer.

Yes, because your anecdotal evidence clearly proves that Native American reservations shouldn't have the right to ban alcohol sales in their reservation. They are trying to combat alcoholism in their jurisdiction the best way that's honestly possible with the reservation government.
You guys are right, the Reservations have the right to not allow alcohol sales on their property.  Whiteclay isn't on the Reservation.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 08:03:33 PM »

Above all that though, I don't want to be a hypocrite. I drink alcohol. I shop at liquor stores. South Minneapolis has liquor stores galore and I don't have a problem with them. So wouldn't it be hypocritical for me to say that somewhere else shouldn't have them?
Yes it would, but the soft bigotry of lowered expectations never cares about such trivialities.  They must be protected from themselves dontchaknow?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 04:10:32 PM »

If Rez life sucks so hard, why do they stay?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 02:09:15 PM »

There's nothing objective wrong with banning alcohol, the problem compared to other drugs, is how easy it is to make it yourself. Any idiot can produce it at home.
Well, it's not super easy.  It's not hard by any means, but there is some chemistry going on.  It's not meth or coke hard though.

Pot, on the other hand, can be grown by anybody with 4 brain cells to rub together.  The yields would be garbage, but you'd have something, in time, if you just tossed a bunch of seeds in your backyard and stopped cutting the grass there for a couple of months.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies