Haiti to join African Union (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:38:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Haiti to join African Union (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Haiti to join African Union  (Read 2098 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: May 18, 2016, 12:35:40 AM »

I literally said "Haiti is an African country" in a conversation today but I didn't literally mean that Haiti was an African country. One wonders if the North African states (or, I guess the Indian Ocean island states) will welcome this development, considering it would appear predicated on the idea that African=Black.

I lean unfavorable on this, Haiti may be culturally African (and its politics and economic condition stereotypically so), but it is not part of the African continent. The role of the AU is to facilitate continental economic integration and political cooperation, goals which aren't really feasible when you have members in completely different parts of the world.

Well, those goals are vague enough that they may very well be, but the general point of "neighbor countries should be able to trade with each other more" and "trans-national transport infrastructure should be improved" cannot really be made applied to Haiti.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies