The New Fusionism: the ascent of left-libertarianism in the 21st century (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:02:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  The New Fusionism: the ascent of left-libertarianism in the 21st century (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The New Fusionism: the ascent of left-libertarianism in the 21st century  (Read 2372 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« on: July 01, 2009, 08:47:17 AM »

1. I agree with the notion of a primarily de-centralized economy. For the most part, things need to be in private hands, though I think the government does have a role. That role should primarily be in the realm of consumer protection. Companies should not be allowed to sell food that is tainted or poisoned, nor should they be allowed to falsely advertise what their product does. Some regulations also need to exist so that consumers are aware of any risks that consuming or buying a product could harm them - I do agree with the warnings on tobacco products for instance, because it lets the consumer make an educated choice.

2. I disagree. I'm not for privatization of roads. Generally you'll see roads become toll roads, which may well end up costing you more than if you were taxed depending on how frequently you use them. There's also other potential issues which I could get into, but I'd rather not. You can dig up my long conversation with SPC a few months back on the subject if you really care to find out the reasons.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's a very vague standard. Generally speaking when it comes to the law vagueness is bad.

3. I'm rather uncomfortable with the idea of putting all military power into the hands of private individuals. It might have worked out fine in the days of militia but modern military considerations are different. Also, if the contractors have full purview over completing their duties you will essentially lack a central command unless one of the contractors has a really huge army. If you want to win wars you need to have a central command to ensure everyone is following strategy.

On the subject of torture, I think it should only be allowed in only the most extreme situations, and even then there should be some sort of consequences - if you aren't willing to make a self-sacrifice for it, the it obviously isn't important enough that you should be able to do it.

4. Totally agree.

5. Dissolving the RIAA may be unconstitutional, what with freedom of association and all that. Same with dissolving unions. For dealing with the RIAA, I think we need massive copyright reform. For unions, I just don't think they should get any special protection by the law.

6. Agree

7. I think you neglected "residential" in your list of claimed types of land, but I'm thinking that's just an oversight. Anywho, this should be on a case by case basis. Some land owned by the government is not anything special and is just unused, so there's not much reason to keep it. However, there are things like national parks and nature reserves that should remain in government hands. These types of lands aren't without benefit being as they are, as they generate a lot of tourism related income for the private sector and many have come to depend on that.

8. Agree, though there should still be an immigration process. It should be less restrictive than now, but you should have to register to become a citizen.

9. Agree

10. Agree on DOMA, though there should be at least some state benefits to marriage, though not necessarily tax related. As far as what should be recognized, I think that should be on an individual basis rather than on the basis of what a religious organization recognizes. There should be a standard two person civil union contract, with options for other types of relationships as well that are non-standard and negotiable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies