Huckabee rips CPAC as "too libertarian" and "pay for play"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 03:04:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Huckabee rips CPAC as "too libertarian" and "pay for play"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Huckabee rips CPAC as "too libertarian" and "pay for play"  (Read 2218 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 22, 2010, 04:52:39 AM »

link:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0210/33250.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 04:53:30 AM »

Good riddance to the Huckster.

Will he be registering as a Democrat soon? I hope so.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 05:04:02 AM »

I think he's got a point, but it doesn't have anything to do with libertarianism. The point to be made is that there's a disconnect between the party in Washington and connected activists and lower middle class voters who care about social/cultural issues, and want decent social services while getting tax breaks for small businesses.

The Republican Party has become a place where the ideological line is one that reflects corporate masters. It was inevitable that this would happen because of what wasn't really a free market outlook at all, but a corporatist one. The party and activists wanted, surprise surprise, a multi-millionaire CEO to be the nominee in 08. Romney is a product, and they thought they could sell it and make money off of it. He's an insider, Huck wasn't. These two competing groups ended up getting a candidate neither wanted, John McCain...
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 05:07:25 AM »

I think he's got a point, but it doesn't have anything to do with libertarianism. The point to be made is that there's a disconnect between the party in Washington and connected activists and lower middle class voters who care about social/cultural issues, and want decent social services while getting tax breaks for small businesses.

The Republican Party has become a place where the ideological line is one that reflects corporate masters. It was inevitable that this would happen because of what wasn't really a free market outlook at all, but a corporatist one. The party and activists wanted, surprise surprise, a multi-millionaire CEO to be the nominee in 08. Romney is a product, and they thought they could sell it and make money off of it. He's an insider, Huck wasn't. These two competing groups ended up getting a candidate neither wanted, John McCain...

Huckabee has attacked libertarians and Ron Paul on multiple occasions, as if they were corporate Washington insiders.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 05:25:53 AM »

Huckabee has attacked libertarians and Ron Paul on multiple occasions, as if they were corporate Washington insiders.

He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. I kind of view everything from the perspective that no anger is unjustified, it can only be misplaced. He has a right to be angry and there are people he should be angry with, but Paul and libertarians aren't those people.

Of course there is such a thing as faked anger, and it could come from the fact that he's working for FOX; they've been anti-Paul from Day 1. Their commentators couldn't mention his name during the last election cycle without injecting the word "crazy" or "weird". They have just as much of a vested interest in seeing libertarians fail as anyone.
Guderian

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 07:31:18 AM »

If states had right to ban abortions, what are the chances of Huckabee not being a Democrat?
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 12:45:43 PM »

I'm sure many here remember when Huckabee claimed the Republican Party was getting taken over by economic conservatism and social liberalism known as libertarianism.

Had Huckabee won the straw poll he would have been saying a different story.
Anthony
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 05:55:44 PM »

Odds are, either Mike Huckabee isn't going to run for president in 2012, or he is too stupid to realize that most of the Republican Party is becoming (or at least trying to make it look like it's becoming) the party of smaller government and economic conservatism/libertarianism. If he was serious about running for president, he would have at least pretended to embrace the GOP's theme of smaller government and libertarianism.

No. Social conservatives such as Mike Huckabee left the Democratic Party after the Democratic Party enacted civil rights legislation.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 06:12:22 PM »

Odds are, either Mike Huckabee isn't going to run for president in 2012, or he is too stupid to realize that most of the Republican Party is becoming (or at least trying to make it look like it's becoming) the party of smaller government and economic conservatism/libertarianism. If he was serious about running for president, he would have at least pretended to embrace the GOP's theme of smaller government and libertarianism.

No. Social conservatives such as Mike Huckabee left the Democratic Party after the Democratic Party enacted civil rights legislation.
That is blatantly false - social conservatives began leaving the democratic party after Roe vs. Wade and the school prayer rulings.  It had nothing to do with civil rights legislation - you forget that most blacks are social conservatives.  Quit propogating the Christian = racist bs.

With that said, Huckabee is a joke.  There was nothing wrong with CPAC other than Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich and Ryan Sorba this year.  Ron Paul, George Will and Beck were right on target (though I strongly disagree with Paul's national security views).  We need to end the Fed, end the departments of Homeland Security, the CIA, the Department of Education, Medicare, and Social Security.  We also need to cut spending significantly.
Anthony
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 06:19:29 PM »

That is blatantly false - social conservatives began leaving the democratic party after Roe vs. Wade and the school prayer rulings.  It had nothing to do with civil rights legislation - you forget that most blacks are social conservatives.  Quit propogating the Christian = racist bs.

With that said, Huckabee is a joke.  There was nothing wrong with CPAC other than Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich and Ryan Sorba this year.  Ron Paul, George Will and Beck were right on target (though I strongly disagree with Paul's national security views).  We need to end the Fed, end the departments of Homeland Security, the CIA, the Department of Education, Medicare, and Social Security.  We also need to cut spending significantly.

I wasn't trying to suggest all social conservatives were racist. However, I personally think there is no denying that many of the Democrats who left the party after the civil rights era were considered socially conservative back then. And social conservatives have been voting Republican in most presidential elections since then. And in terms of policy, with the exception of civil rights, Huckabee seems to be similar to most of the social conservatives who were once Democrats.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 06:21:01 PM »

That is blatantly false - social conservatives began leaving the democratic party after Roe vs. Wade and the school prayer rulings.  It had nothing to do with civil rights legislation - you forget that most blacks are social conservatives.  Quit propogating the Christian = racist bs.

With that said, Huckabee is a joke.  There was nothing wrong with CPAC other than Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich and Ryan Sorba this year.  Ron Paul, George Will and Beck were right on target (though I strongly disagree with Paul's national security views).  We need to end the Fed, end the departments of Homeland Security, the CIA, the Department of Education, Medicare, and Social Security.  We also need to cut spending significantly.

I wasn't trying to suggest all social conservatives were racist. However, I personally think there is no denying that many of the Democrats who left the party after the civil rights era were considered socially conservative back then. And social conservatives have been voting Republican in most presidential elections since then. And in terms of policy, with the exception of civil rights, Huckabee seems to be similar to most of the social conservatives who were once Democrats.

Not really, no. Social conservatives and racists are both still present in the Democratic Party.
Anthony
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 06:30:23 PM »

Not really, no. Social conservatives and racists are both still present in the Democratic Party.

Well, of course. Both parties have some members who are racist(though there are more racist Republicans than there are racist Democrats.) But there were far more social conservatives prior to the enactment of civil rights legislation than there were after it was signed. These days, most social conservatives vote Republican.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 06:43:05 PM »

Well, of course. Both parties have some members who are racist(though there are more racist Republicans than there are racist Democrats.) But there were far more social conservatives prior to the enactment of civil rights legislation than there were after it was signed. These days, most social conservatives vote Republican.

There was no correlation between being racist and being socially conservative. The South had the most liberal abortion laws in the nation pre-1973.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 06:43:15 PM »

Please enlighten us with your in-depth knowledge of the subtleties of republican racism seeing as you know so much about us.

Ooh and 500th post
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 06:44:48 PM »

More significantly, will many of his supporters? They will be welcome as Democrats. Huckabee is well to the left of the GOP.
Conservative frontier
JC
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »

Huckabee, why didn't you run for senator? You'd make a excellent one.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 12:55:01 AM »

Oh, he's screwed.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 01:44:59 AM »

i like the Huckster more and more.  i just hope Romney doesn't pay off him or Palin to stay in the nomination contest.  Palin and Huck need to make a pact that whichever one finishes behind the other in IA, drops out and endorses the other.  Maybe the alliance can beat Moneybagz Mitt.  Once that's done, they can form a ticket and beat moneybagz Obama™.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 02:34:13 PM »

i like the Huckster more and more.  i just hope Romney doesn't pay off him or Palin to stay in the nomination contest.  Palin and Huck need to make a pact that whichever one finishes behind the other in IA, drops out and endorses the other.  Maybe the alliance can beat Moneybagz Mitt.  Once that's done, they can form a ticket and beat moneybagz Obama™.

Or we can actually reform the Republican Party and have some actual change. No more big government.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 02:37:09 PM »

LOL.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 02:54:23 PM »

Or we can actually reform the Republican Party and have some actual change. No more big government.

Yeah, right. Tell me how the GOP squished government down to size when Dubya was President and rubberstamp majorities of Republicans controlled Congress. Six years, and they had their chance.

All that we have to show for that is lots of dead bodies -- American, Iraqi, and Afghan; tax cuts for the super-rich while Big Business became importers instead of manufacturers; huge profits for war profiteers; speculative boom that went belly-up and reeks worse than skunk spray; and unfunded Medicare benefit; and finally the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.

We have big spending now just to cover the consequences of a horrible economic downturn, and if we didn't spend the money to counteract the Depression that might have ensued, then we would be headed to a dangerous situation. Think of Russia in 1917 or Germany in 1932. Our economic elite is no better than the court of Nicholas II, and the white part of the American masses are as gullible as the Germans were around 1932. If you think big spending is bad now, just think how difficult things would be if people faced the threat of starvation so that some politicians can cut spending to the bone -- literally the bones of people who did nothing to deserve their distress.

Fiscal responsibility in 2003 meant finishing the job in Afghanistan instead of diverting military resources in an aggressive war in Iraq, raising taxes in wartime instead of cutting them for people who could most afford to pay them, and pushing war bonds instead of real estate speculation. Fiscal responsibility in 2010 means rescuing America from the follies of George W. Bush.

Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 02:55:42 PM »

Please, Mint, while you're in the thread, rush to his defense. These are the people you want to associate yourself with, after all.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 03:01:23 PM »

Please, Mint, while you're in the thread, rush to his defense. These are the people you want to associate yourself with, after all.

I've already said Huckabee's stance on the 'war on terror' is one reason I'd never vote for him, what's your point?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 03:03:06 PM »

I've already said Huckabee's stance on the 'war on terror' is one reason I'd never vote for him, what's your point?

My point being that you've seriously argued to me in private that I ought to ally myself to this man and those like him, the reasons for which you gave were vague and, in all probability, self-serving.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 03:03:38 PM »

Um, no but thanks for playing.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies