Greatest county in the world (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 01:35:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Greatest county in the world (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: "Because of the United States' history and its Constitution, do you think the U.S. has a unique character that makes it the greatest country in the world, or don't you think so?"
Democrat - greatest

Democrat - not

Democrat - unsure

Republican - greatest

Republican - not

Republican - unsure

Other - greatest

Other - not

Other - unsure

Independent - greatest

Independent - not

Independent - unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Greatest county in the world  (Read 3094 times)
Redalgo
United States

« on: January 07, 2011, 11:54:28 AM »

I don't know which country in the world is the best one.  That's purely subjective.  It's silly to say we are or aren't.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 08:42:45 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2011, 08:51:39 PM by Redalgo »

I do not believe that there is necessarily a "best" country in the world unless one breaks it down into comparing them side-by-side for specific qualities. Although the United States has a rather interesting character, its history contains extremely bright and dark spots alike. Similarly, the U.S. Constitution has served as both a safeguard of human rights and as a culturally backwards oppressor of tens of millions of people in the past. On the whole in the present day I consider my country to have characteristics that are much more positive than not. Nonetheless, I dislike getting wrapped up in nationalism and find the common American notion of its exceptionalism to be a little ignorant and narcissistic.

If I had to choose, I would compare countries based on how happy their people are with their lives. In that case the U.S. would eek into the top 25 but not out-compete many other affluent countries of advanced development. From all that I have read I would say the United States is indeed a great country but not the best in some of the respects that matter most. That is fine with me. We do not always have to be #1 and ours is a relatively young country that still has a lot to learn from others around the world. There will always be potential for a country to pursue more growth and development.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 09:06:19 PM »

The percentages of Democrats and Republicans listed as unsure are mixed up, ya?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies