3 facts that should make you feel a little better (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:30:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  3 facts that should make you feel a little better (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 3 facts that should make you feel a little better  (Read 876 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 28, 2018, 03:46:49 AM »

link
1. Since 1960, child deaths have plummeted from 20 million a year to 6 million a year.

-One key reason why we struggle to see progress in the world today is that we do not know how very bad the past was.  Both are true at the same time: The world is much better than in the past and it is still awful.  To bring this to mind I need to know both statistics: When someone says we can sit back and relax because the world is in a much better place, I point out that 11 children are still dying every minute. We cannot accept the world as it is today. And when I feel hopeless in the face of this tragedy, I remember that we reduced annual child deaths from 20 million to 5.6 million in the last fifty years.

2. Since 1960, the fertility rate has fallen by half.

-Improvements in conditions for women and the health of children have driven a rapid reduction in fertility rates across the world. In fact, the global fertility rate has halved in the last 50 years, from more than 5 children per woman to fewer than 2.5 children. The world population growth rate has also halved in the last 50 years and is just above 1 percent.

3. 137,000 people escaped extreme poverty every day between 1990 and 2015.

-In 1990, 1.86 billion people were living on less than 1.90 international-$ per day—more than every third person in the world. Twenty-five years later, the number of people living in extreme poverty has more than halved to 706 million, every tenth person.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 01:49:36 PM »

and another one you can ignore

Global life expectancy at birth rose over 38% between 1985 and 2015, from 52 years to 72 years.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 09:45:47 PM »

Vast majority of these good news stats we hear from Roslingites-Pinkerites are due to one country, China, abandoning psychotic revolutionary Communism and becoming market-oriented and more liberal (not much more). Then some nearby countries enjoyed the side-benefits. But the median USA/European voter matters more for global policy.
there has been a lot of improvement in all of the third world, not just China.  India and much of Africa (with some exceptions) are doing better too.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 08:36:20 AM »

There is a possible world where kids just can't die?  Does everybody stay home and live in a bubble?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 12:40:35 PM »

You said no one should feel better until zero children die, how is what I said not relevant to that bit of insanity?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 07:21:00 AM »

Of course every time a kid dies it's a tragedy, but that doesn't mean every other human should be always and forever sad.  That is insane and I'm pretty sure you don't live your life that way.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 08:33:51 AM »

Of course every time a kid dies it's a tragedy, but that doesn't mean every other human should be always and forever sad.  That is insane and I'm pretty sure you don't live your life that way.

So what? That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to.
<throws hands up in the air and walks away>
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies