What republican do you want PPP to test against Obama? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:02:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  What republican do you want PPP to test against Obama? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What republican do you want PPP to test against Obama?  (Read 2600 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: February 09, 2011, 06:12:05 PM »

Look, Ron Paul is not an American Jesus, he's an irrelevancy with a cult following. He also shares with his dunderhead son an embarassing admiration of Ayn Rand, philosophy's Dan Brown.

What is so wrong with the philosophy of Ayn Rand? I just finished reading Atlas Shrugged, which I believe is the greatest book ever written.
How many books have you read?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 06:39:31 PM »

Look, Ron Paul is not an American Jesus, he's an irrelevancy with a cult following. He also shares with his dunderhead son an embarassing admiration of Ayn Rand, philosophy's Dan Brown.

What is so wrong with the philosophy of Ayn Rand? I just finished reading Atlas Shrugged, which I believe is the greatest book ever written.
How many books have you read?

Well, let's see. I'm in eigth grade and I've read a book each summer since I entered 3rd grade so that's 6 right there, plus Atlas Shrugged and Anthem, then there's all the Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly "books" I read during my Neo-Con phase along with all the books I read in Pre-school so my guess is...about 28.
My advice would be to try and read a little more.  Find a genre and/or author you like; Sci-fi, Robert Ludlum, etc. and just read.  Political stuff is great in small doses but to much of it can make Jack a dull boy (I am not trying to get you to read The Shining, I don't want that on my conscience Wink )

Back to the discussion, maybe balancing your reading intake will balance your views a bit.  I suggest thinking about everything you disagree strongly and then read something associated with it.  A good starting place is the Communist Manifesto.  If you or your parents/syblings/whatever have an itouch/iphone/android/whathaveyou you can download ibooks and get it and a lot of other good stuff for free.

Now, I am certainly not trying to make you into a communist.  What I am trying to do is get you to open your mind.  I know I went through my ultra-conservative phase; it took a while to knock that out of me.  Broaden your horizons.  If your looking for other suggestions, try the classics.  Machiavelli's The Prince and Aristotle's Politics are both good books to have read.  Also try to take in as much history as you can; I suggest Edward Gibbons The Fall of the Roman Empire trilogy to get you started.  You can work your way up through history from there.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 08:08:27 PM »

I was sort of joking Smiley I'm sure I've read over 100 books in my life. I have taken interest in Fiction, Horror, Autobiography, Musically-themed, Political, Biography and Sci-Fi books.
Have you read any of the books I named?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 10:23:38 PM »

I have read Aristotle's Politics.

I refuse to read the Communist Manifesto. I am easily impressionable and I do not want to pick up anything that'd change me radically.
You already admitted to reading something that changed you radically.  You know what they say, Knowledge is Power.

At the very least read The Prince.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies