Comey Senate Intelligence Committee Testimony Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 06:35:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Comey Senate Intelligence Committee Testimony Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: Comey Senate Intelligence Committee Testimony Thread  (Read 11511 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2017, 11:42:28 AM »

When does this open testimony end?
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2017, 11:43:10 AM »

It just did. The closed testimony starts at 1 and ends at 1:45.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2017, 11:44:02 AM »

Is that not believable though? That isn't to say that his underlings like Flynn are necessarily guilt-free, but from what I can gather, President Trump seemed oblivious that a request such as the alleged one he made falls far away from his powers to grant pardon or clemency. There is a reason why Comey can't really obtain proof of intent after all?

How can a person be so stupid as to think asking the head of the FBI to end an investigation into them, and then firing them for not listening, was not against the law? I'm sorry but I don't buy that. That is basic common sense, and if he is literally that dumb, he needs to be removed from office on that count alone.

I think he is that stupid.  Why else would he admit to Lester Holt in public that he was thinking Russia when he fired Comey?  Again, I'll quote from that Chait piece on this from last month:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/05/trump-firing-comey-biggest-political-crisis-since-watergate.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Even if Trump is that stupid (I believe he is too), that does not excuse any obstruction of justice he may or may not have performed.

It does not make him any less guilty.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2017, 11:44:41 AM »

Can any of these people not ask a leading question? Every single one is just a massive narrative of how each senator wants the situation to have gone down followed by "is that correct?"

It is obvious Harris (who I'm usually unimpressed with) is the only prosecutor here
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2017, 11:45:04 AM »

Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2017, 11:46:48 AM »

So, all in all, that was a damning testimony in general, as far as corroborating under oath our understanding of various facets of the investigation and the Trump obstruction of justice issue goes.

fwiw, others will have a different take. He stopped short of calling it obstruction, and flat out denied having been asked by trump or WH to end the investigation. Furthermore, two big articles were debunked by comey. The first one he debunked was the february 17th NYT report that trump associates were in contact with russian intelligence officials. The second article he debunked was wapo's recent article that trump asked coats to interfere in flynn investigation.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2017, 11:47:00 AM »

Is that not believable though? That isn't to say that his underlings like Flynn are necessarily guilt-free, but from what I can gather, President Trump seemed oblivious that a request such as the alleged one he made falls far away from his powers to grant pardon or clemency. There is a reason why Comey can't really obtain proof of intent after all?

How can a person be so stupid as to think asking the head of the FBI to end an investigation into them, and then firing them for not listening, was not against the law? I'm sorry but I don't buy that. That is basic common sense, and if he is literally that dumb, he needs to be removed from office on that count alone.

I think he is that stupid.  Why else would he admit to Lester Holt in public that he was thinking Russia when he fired Comey?  Again, I'll quote from that Chait piece on this from last month:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/05/trump-firing-comey-biggest-political-crisis-since-watergate.html

Even if Trump is that stupid (I believe he is too), that does not excuse any obstruction of justice he may or may not have performed.

It does not make him any less guilty.

No, it doesn't make him less guilty.  If Comey's account is accurate, then I think Trump should be impeached.  But in terms of *why* Trump did what he did, I think it's because he's an idiot, and literally doesn't understand that the government works differently from his business empire.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2017, 11:48:57 AM »

The dow has risen 80 points over the course of the testimony.

That's telling.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #133 on: June 08, 2017, 11:51:22 AM »

Is Sen. McCain alright? I'm actually concerned about his health right now...

Yea, he is getting old. If he was elected in 2008, we may have had a President Palin.

He's running again in 2022, so Arizona Republicans may have to wait until 2028 or 2034 to get a chance at McCain's seat.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2017, 11:53:16 AM »

heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2017, 11:53:52 AM »

Burr says he wants to work with Mueller next week. That should be interesting.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2017, 11:59:10 AM »

So, all in all, that was a damning testimony in general, as far as corroborating under oath our understanding of various facets of the investigation and the Trump obstruction of justice issue goes.

fwiw, others will have a different take. He stopped short of calling it obstruction, and flat out denied having been asked by trump or WH to end the investigation. Furthermore, two big articles were debunked by comey. The first one he debunked was the february 17th NYT report that trump associates were in contact with russian intelligence officials. The second article he debunked was wapo's recent article that trump asked coats to interfere in flynn investigation.

First of all hes a material witness now. Its not his job to call it obstruction of justice and he did say that he assumed Mueller is now investigating Trump for obstruction of justice.

Second of all the contacts between Trump's campaign and the Russians are widely acknowledged at this point. Details may be different but that's a given.

third if Coats was truly not asked to do anything why didn't coats give a clear answer yesterday in the testimony?

Overall we now have sworn testimony the president attempted to obstruct justice with Comey's investigation of Flynn. That is a big deal as is our understanding that Sessions is now tied to the Russian investigation among many other things on the record. Comey's now standing behind everything he leaked in public and under oath.

This is damning.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2017, 11:59:24 AM »

Comey's memos were "saved for later." Later happened to be after he was fired. Could it be that Comey was blackmailing the President?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2017, 12:01:30 PM »

Comey's memos were "saved for later." Later happened to be after he was fired. Could it be that Comey was blackmailing the President?

Blackmailing him with a conversation in which Trump himself overstepped multiple times? No. He probably foresaw all of this.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2017, 12:01:54 PM »

No.  Next
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2017, 12:04:59 PM »

I see our resident Trump supporters are sweating like dogs
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2017, 12:06:36 PM »

Blackmailing him with a conversation in which Trump himself overstepped multiple times? No. He probably foresaw all of this.
So why did he leak them only after he was fired?
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2017, 12:07:32 PM »

Meh
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2017, 12:08:09 PM »

2 days ago y'all were saying he would be indicted for collusion and obstruction. Now it is "you must see there is a problem". And "this isn't a good look for trump". Rough couple days for you! Don't worry. In a few hours the new talking points will be out and we can start again.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2017, 12:08:42 PM »

Did you not watch the hearing?

He leaked them in order to get a special counsel because he believed their was a chance that his conversations with the president could be corroborated.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2017, 12:09:30 PM »

I'm sure he saved the memos to try to resolve the situation through the appropriate channels. The DOJ was very much in flux at the time. When he got fired, he got cut off from the "appropriate channels".
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2017, 12:09:33 PM »

2 days ago y'all were saying he would be indicted for collusion and obstruction. Now it is "you must see there is a problem". And "this isn't a good look for trump". Rough couple days for you! Don't worry. In a few hours the new talking points will be out and we can start again.

Keep projecting lol.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2017, 12:09:36 PM »

Because after he was fired for refusing to can the FBI investigation Comey feared the investigation would be compromised, and that a special prosecutor was required.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2017, 12:10:31 PM »

lol, what are you talking about?

Comey's testimony pretty much made the case for obstruction charges. At this point, it is not even a matter if, but when Mueller starts handing out the indictments.  
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #149 on: June 08, 2017, 12:10:53 PM »

What if it is the case that he's just too impulsive, and not too stupid to understand what was going on? I mean, don't get me wrong, I do think Trump is pretty stupid in a lot of matters, but think about it: is it really possible that no one told Trump the legal issues of what he was doing with Comey both before and after? As I understand it, Bannon and Reince were telling him it was going to explode in his face, and I have to think at some point, either from them or other aides/lawyers, that someone told him that it might be against the law.

Of course, that is me assuming things, but it's hard to see it not coming up at least once. Trump is famously impulsive, and his obsessive need to always feel in charge and aware of what is going on makes him do ridiculous things.

Either way, whether it is pure stupidity or impulsiveness, a man that out of his depth has no place in the oval office if you ask me.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies