Will anybody announce their candidacy or exploratory committee in March 2011?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:25:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Will anybody announce their candidacy or exploratory committee in March 2011?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will anybody announce their candidacy or exploratory committee in March 2011?  (Read 1393 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2011, 01:12:15 PM »

Now that March is just 4 1/2 days away, we're not too far from the first scheduled GOP debate the first week of May, will we have anybody announce in March?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 01:17:52 PM »

Gingrich.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 01:18:42 PM »

You think he will, or will he push it back another month or two.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 04:51:52 PM »

Roemor is any day now, unless he cant get enough money to start his doomed campaign. Gingrich potentially can be next week!
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 04:56:08 PM »

Gingrich has probably already made his decision and will announce during the first week of March. I believe that Pataki has said he'll make a decision sometime this month and will announce in March. Roemer will probably announce before the end of the month or in March as well.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 04:57:56 PM »

Roemor is any day now, unless he cant get enough money to start his doomed campaign. Gingrich potentially can be next week!

"Doomed" depends for what he's actually running. Roemer doesn't seems to be as stupid to believe he can win a nomination, not to believe, he can pull a VP spot due to strong showing. My guess he wants to get some cabinet position (not key one, o/c ).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 05:52:38 PM »

He's been saying February or March for ages now, and recently narrowed it down to the first week of March.  What would be the point of being that specific, only to delay it by a month?

Also, Pawlenty recently said that he expected to announce before the end of March.

You might actually have a lot of announcements in the last week of March or first week of April, because people will want to maximize their fundraising in Q2, so that they can report good numbers in July.  That's why I expect Pawlenty to announce in the last week of March (presumably not on April 1).
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 08:06:52 PM »

Gingrich, Pawlenty for sure

Pataki, if he waits any longer he has no shot (however small his current one is) and therefore I doubt he'll run

Bolton maybe? Even though nobody cares. Possibly Roemer same deal
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 08:46:52 PM »

You guys think that Newt's answer will be yes?  I agree he'll announce, but I'm not at all sure that announcement will be that he's running.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 09:49:44 PM »

You guys think that Newt's answer will be yes?  I agree he'll announce, but I'm not at all sure that announcement will be that he's running.

He's been set on this run for over a year now as a definite I'm doing it attitude.

Do you all think he'll announce in Georgia or Iowa? I think it could be Georgia since he wants his campaign run outa there and he was racking up endorsements. Then again he has the House (or Senate?) Majority leader in Iowa backing him and announcing from Georgia just makes him look like a southerner
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 09:54:37 PM »

Not sure if he is really in it to win it or just raise his profile, but it looks like Newt is running.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 09:53:03 AM »

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/gingrich-says-decision-on-presidential-run-to-come-1279992.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That puts his window for announcing within the first 10 days or so of March.  Again, he's obviously going to announce *something*, or he wouldn't be sticking to this timetable that's coming up very soon.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 12:50:27 PM »

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/gingrich-says-decision-on-presidential-run-to-come-1279992.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That puts his window for announcing within the first 10 days or so of March.  Again, he's obviously going to announce *something*, or he wouldn't be sticking to this timetable that's coming up very soon.

I hope he decides to run, and announces soon, not that I want him to win necessarily, but I just want to get the party started!!!  The 2012 Presidential Campaign is nearly 4 months late getting started.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 11:15:57 PM »

They are starting much later this year. I remember most of the major candidates had announced by this time in 2007. Of course, there was no incumbent and a wide open field.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 08:32:44 AM »

They are starting much later this year. I remember most of the major candidates had announced by this time in 2007. Of course, there was no incumbent and a wide open field.
And different campaign practices.  Santorum and Pawlenty have been running since the midterms, they just haven't announced.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 01:22:31 PM »

And different campaign practices.  Santorum and Pawlenty have been running since the midterms, they just haven't announced.

Which is really annoyeing. Santorum is hiring all these people, just freakin announce! the more he waits the more he hurts himself. He needs all the press he can get, and he'll only get it two ways. 1) saying something stupid 2) being the first to announce and the only candidate for at least a solid week
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 02:15:11 PM »

Which is really annoyeing. Santorum is hiring all these people, just freakin announce! the more he waits the more he hurts himself. He needs all the press he can get, and he'll only get it two ways. 1) saying something stupid 2) being the first to announce and the only candidate for at least a solid week

But then he'd:

1) Have to quit his job at Fox News.

2) Have to start paying his staff and expenses out of an actual campaign fund, which means donations are limited to $2300 per person or whatever it is nowadays.  The candidates are currently paying for their expenses out of a combination of state and federal PACs, which means they can get around the contribution limits.  It actually makes good financial sense to wage your campaign for some time without actually announcing that you're running.  But of course, they'll have to drop this charade at some point in the relatively near future.  At least by the time the debates start.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 04:55:59 PM »

Gingrich and Pawlenty for the real contenders.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 02:42:25 PM »

I just read on CNN.com that Newt Gingrich will attend a forum in Iowa next Monday sponsored by the Iowa Faith and Freedom Coalition and may announce his decision on whether to move to an exploratory committee for the presidency before that event.  Fmr. Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty will be there as will Fmr Louisiana Governor Buddy Roemer.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 11:38:10 PM »

I just read on CNN.com that Newt Gingrich will attend a forum in Iowa next Monday sponsored by the Iowa Faith and Freedom Coalition and may announce his decision on whether to move to an exploratory committee for the presidency before that event.  Fmr. Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty will be there as will Fmr Louisiana Governor Buddy Roemer.

That made me think it will be before Friday. When is the best time to announce? You want as much press, but you also want to take up all the sunday talk shows. So Wednesday or Thursday?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies