If the source, should Rove be jailed? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 07:45:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If the source, should Rove be jailed? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If Rove is the WH source in the Plame case, should he go to jail?
Yes

No

Not sure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: If the source, should Rove be jailed?  (Read 4490 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 12, 2005, 10:08:05 PM »

People, you can't be put in jail for saying someone's wife works for the CIA....get a grip.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 11:57:02 PM »

People, you can't be put in jail for saying someone's wife works for the CIA....get a grip.

Do you realize what the purpose of having agents undercover is?

Yes I do.  But you've been watching WAY TOO MUCH tv if you think simply stating someone works for the CIA is a crime in the United States.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 10:33:48 AM »

All "reasonable" people should remember the context of Rove's conversation given that "intent" is part of the law.

In those days, the administration was under fire for not reading and listening to the Niger reports, which the administration supposedly commissioned.  Rove pointed out to the reporters that not only was the administration not neglecting the reports, but that the administration did not commission the reports, rather that the CIA commissioned the trip and that Wilson's wife, who works for the CIA, pulled strings to get Wilson selected for the trip.

So, Rove's "intent" was to point out that the trip to Niger and the report about Niger were not "commissioned" by the administration; therefore the administration can't be blamed for ignoring the results of it’s own supposedly commissioned investigations.

Clearly, Rove's "intent" was also to discredit the author of the report by stating that Wilson landed the job somewhat unethically because his wife, who works at the CIA, recommended him for the job.  (The independent 9/11 Report confirmed that Wilson's wife recommended Wilson for the job and that the recommendation didn't pass the smell test).

---

So not only did Rove not break the law, Rove's actions weren’t even unethical.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies