A few questions for Republicans about Massachusetts (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 11:12:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  A few questions for Republicans about Massachusetts (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A few questions for Republicans about Massachusetts  (Read 8543 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« on: February 27, 2010, 05:54:50 PM »

1. Who would you prefer as the Republican nominee for Massachusetts governor, Charlie Baker or Christy Mihos?

If you choose Mihos, in the name of all that is holy please explain why.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 11:15:25 AM »

FWIW, I have met Charlie Baker, and I came out of the experience impressed. (PS: Dude is literally 6'6".) Barring a complete collapse, I think I'll be supporting him come November.

I'm not going to pretend not to be partisan, but the number one reason I am scared of a Baker win is that I expect a Republican administration to defund the Green Line extension for political reasons. They aren't going to continue to devote scarce dollars to the parts of the state that vote solidly against them.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 08:49:16 AM »

I'll admit my ignorance on the specifics, but I thought that a lot of that money was coming from the Feds.

The MBTA sets its priorities and whether it chooses to spend money on capital projects. I remember because Patrick tried to push it off to 2016 and there was such an uproar that he had to stick to the original date.

I'm not trying to sway your vote, I know that would be pointless and patronizing and this wouldn't be a reason for you to switch. It's just my two cents.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 08:50:54 AM »

1. Who would you prefer as the Republican nominee for Massachusetts governor, Charlie Baker or Christy Mihos?

Seriously--this is to you and to Rowan Brandon--are you familiar with Mihos other than his party affiliation? He's an arrogant, sloppy dilettante who inherited a small fortune and thinks that makes him a wise man. He is running on the argument that he's a good businessman who can bring "common sense" to Boston and meanwhile he's bouncing checks left and rights and making stupid excuses.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 01:44:43 PM »

The legislature could just pass funding for the Green Line over any veto anyway, right?

Provided there were enough Democrats who gave a crap about a tiny little part of the Commonwealth, yes.

Yes, since there are so many Democrats in the legislature, a major project for a few districts doesn't rise to the level of partisan issue.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 03:43:15 PM »

Is the Green Line extension to be connected to the commuter rail? I know there's a commuter rail stop in West Medford that must be at least close to a stop on the extension.

I don't think there's any plan to take advantage of that connection. If they did, it would be a minor part of its appeal. It's a project with local appeal. Thankfully Somerville has a very vocal and active population that supports this project. I have to hope that I'm overstating the impact an R win would have on this project, whose planning and environmental review are well underway.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 03:51:18 PM »

I know, I get occasional excited emails from the Tufts alumni network talking about it. It would have been amazing to have a T stop right next to campus while I was there. Does anyone worry that it would harm the vibrancy of Davis Square?

I didn't know you had that connection. How recently did you live in the area?

Davis Square is doing so extraordinarily well. I don't think this poses a threat for most of what Davis Square provides. How often did undergrads go into Boston when you were there?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 08:03:31 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2010, 08:07:01 AM by brittain33 »

Cahill is coming out full-force against Mass.'s health care law today, which puts him to the right of Baker and, I imagine he thinks, at the forefront of Scott Brown's silent majority.

I'm really starting to dislike this guy. He's all about we have to cut the deficit AND we have to cut taxes. Pure cant. I have much more respect for Baker in comparison.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 09:51:53 AM »

I'm actually glad to hear that a candidate is seriously discussing the failure of the Massachusetts health care law.

He attacked in terms of its costs to the state budget which have been trivial.

It hasn't led to a drop in premiums, but that's a separate issue. Repealing the mandate won't do anything about the teaching hospitals' rates or how they play hardball on reimbursement.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 09:43:26 AM »

FWIW, I heard Cahill talking with Michael Graham yesterday on WTKK about the disasterous implications of "Obamacare." It sounds like he's making a serious play for the mainstream Republican vote, trying to edge Baker out of the game. Smart move, though it does make you laugh at the current state and mindset of the Massachusetts electorate.

He's now claiming he voted for McCain in '08. This is getting very interesting.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 11:45:50 AM »

Seriously how does claiming you voted for McCain help in Massachusetts?

All I can think is that it prevents him from having to explain why he's criticizing Obama up, down, and sideways after having voted for him, instead of being a virtue in itself.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 09:19:32 AM »

The Globe this morning: the Republicans have picked up on Cahill's strategy of trying to knock Baker out of the race and are firing back. The RGA has gotten involved, slamming Cahill. He looks to have some conflict of interests issues with donors to his campaign also underwriting state bonds.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 07:57:34 AM »

Sarah Palin led a teabagger rally in Boston.

Conspicuous no-shows: Scott Brown (no thank yous for the money?), Charlie Baker, Richard Tisei.

Proud attendees: Tim Cahill, Christy Mihos. I'm worried Cahill's going to invest our pension funds with Goldline next.

Baker was very cautious in what he said about Palin in his statement.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 11:10:41 AM »

I don't think he's "damned"--it was unequivocally the right thing for him to do, politically. Ultimately he owes them nothing.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 04:09:29 PM »

Why is the establishment supporting a Republican for Governor?

They find Deval Patrick horrid to work with, while Baker has a long and positive record in government from the 90s.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 08:16:23 AM »

Christy Mihos paid for a plane to tow a banner reading "Vote Chris-tea for governor!" over the teabagger rally yesterday. I wonder if they'll crop dust his house when the check bounces.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies