Stop Telling Kids Climate Change Will Destroy the World
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 12:57:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Stop Telling Kids Climate Change Will Destroy the World
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Stop Telling Kids Climate Change Will Destroy the World  (Read 2703 times)
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2022, 11:32:27 PM »

I would tell a kid this rather than trying to scare it half to death with tales of gloom and doom. That's no way to treat our impressionable little kiddies. Show them how to work for a better future for themselves.

We're doing in a century (or less) what would naturally happen over millions of years.

Talking about natural cycles in the context of climate change is like comparing an apple falling from a tree to an orange being fired from an artillery piece.

Thanks for that graphic, really can’t emphasize enough how important it is to have models for beyond 2100. It’s a good thing we’ve (quite possibly?) avoided RCP8.5 because there’s absolutely no way our current or future civilization could survive global average CO2 levels of 2000 ppm.

We definitely shouldn’t try to burn all known fossil fuel deposits in the ground, that’s for sure.
http://islandbreath.blogspot.com/2012/04/hothouse-earth.html?m=1
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2022, 02:03:06 PM »

it will tho and everybody knows it, what's the point in telling anyone differently lol

ever since COVID it's been obvious that it's all over, they aren't going to let things get better, it's all downhill from here on out.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2022, 02:49:30 PM »

"They" is all of us. Like everybody that's not from an uncontacted tribe is responsible. Industrial nations are the most responsible. It was inevitable though. Maybe there' a magic bullet in renewables but it remains to be seen. And even if there is, it might be too late anyway.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2022, 04:15:28 PM »

Teachers make basically every lesson about climate change and stuff during school. Honestly it's boring by now, who cares.

See, this is what I'm saying though nobody wants to listen to me. Your teachers should be teaching about Mother Nature's cycles. Delve into deep history, as deep as you can go to get a larger view of the cooling and heating trends nature goes through. She knows how to balance herself out, without any help from us.

This does not mean however, that we humans are living good lives. We need to learn to live in harmony with nature and with our planet. We don't have to dig the hell out of it, suck out all the oil or pollute the air we breathe. We must be mindful of what we are doing and always strive to do better.

I would tell a kid this rather than trying to scare it half to death with tales of gloom and doom. That's no way to treat our impressionable little kiddies. Show them how to work for a better future for themselves.

We're doing in a century (or less) what would naturally happen over millions of years.

Talking about natural cycles in the context of climate change is like comparing an apple falling from a tree to an orange being fired from an artillery piece.

Your own graph contradicts your words. You say a century or less, your graph shows a tiny observed spike and then a huge projected spike by 2500.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2022, 04:48:17 PM »

"Climate change" has been supposed to "destroy the world" for over 20 years now and nothing has changed. This is about power and nothing else. Nobody cares about this except for elitist liberals who ironically have the highest carbon emissions.

If you choose to close your eyes and cover your ears, make sure you keep doing so so you don't suddenly start to care when the hurricanes and tornadoes and wildfires reach your own backyard. Or pray that someone who prepared is kind enough to take pity on your reckless hubris.

"Elitist liberals" living in apartments and lacking cars/taking public transport are probably doing a heck of a lot less damage than you.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2022, 08:03:44 AM »

"Climate change" has been supposed to "destroy the world" for over 20 years now and nothing has changed. This is about power and nothing else. Nobody cares about this except for elitist liberals who ironically have the highest carbon emissions.

If you choose to close your eyes and cover your ears, make sure you keep doing so so you don't suddenly start to care when the hurricanes and tornadoes and wildfires reach your own backyard. Or pray that someone who prepared is kind enough to take pity on your reckless hubris.

"Elitist liberals" living in apartments and lacking cars/taking public transport are probably doing a heck of a lot less damage than you.

Don’t worry. They’ll be up there with the rest of us to get the checks when we have our first trillion dollar disaster.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2022, 10:50:11 PM »

Teachers make basically every lesson about climate change and stuff during school. Honestly it's boring by now, who cares.

See, this is what I'm saying though nobody wants to listen to me. Your teachers should be teaching about Mother Nature's cycles. Delve into deep history, as deep as you can go to get a larger view of the cooling and heating trends nature goes through. She knows how to balance herself out, without any help from us.

This does not mean however, that we humans are living good lives. We need to learn to live in harmony with nature and with our planet. We don't have to dig the hell out of it, suck out all the oil or pollute the air we breathe. We must be mindful of what we are doing and always strive to do better.

The truth is that I don't read graphs. It's like a foreign language to me. All I'll say is this. Isn't my approach better for the kids? I'm not trying to alarm them. What good does that do? They are already having psychological problems with mass shooters, Covid, and whatever else.

I am saying to teach people how to treat the planet right, and then Mother Nature wouldn't have to keep cleaning up our messes. This is a simple way to look at it.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2022, 10:53:03 PM »

Your own graph contradicts your words. You say a century or less, your graph shows a tiny observed spike and then a huge projected spike by 2500.

The time scales on the graph are logarithmic. I'm not sure if you noticed that or not.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2022, 02:08:51 PM »

The truth is that I don't read graphs. It's like a foreign language to me. All I'll say is this. Isn't my approach better for the kids? I'm not trying to alarm them. What good does that do? They are already having psychological problems with mass shooters, Covid, and whatever else.

I am saying to teach people how to treat the planet right, and then Mother Nature wouldn't have to keep cleaning up our messes. This is a simple way to look at it.

If your approach is wrong and indoctrinates children with false information that leads to bad policy then it's a bad approach.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2022, 02:19:18 PM »

The time scales on the graph are logarithmic. I'm not sure if you noticed that or not.

Even then, the curve until modern day looks just like the curve during the end of the last glaciation.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2022, 02:30:47 PM »

I did. It's not really relevant though, because everything I said is still true.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies