Best ever Poll Declaration (UK)

(1/1)

Polkergeist:
The one thing that I like about British Election nights is the declaration of the poll where the results of the consituency are announced in fornt of all the candidates and their supporters which is a rarity in the Western World.

But putting opposing candidates and their supporters in the same place after a long election would often lead to conflict or at least some memorable exchanges.

So the question I have to the UK forumites is what in your opinion is the most memorable poll declaration ?

afleitch:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/vote2001/in_depth/election_battles/default.stm
This is a great site for audio clips and videos of recent elections.

Click on 1997 and 'best of election night coverage' for the best of the rest!

David Mellor is harrased by Sir James Goldsmith at the decleration with cries of 'out, out, out!'

Michael Portillo looses to a shocked Stephen Twigg who looks like he has won first prize at a school ceremony

Mandelson's 'fighter not a quitter' speech wiping the smug grin off Arthur Scargill!

The BNP candidates at Oldham looking very very sorry for themselves.

Peter:
Quote from: afleitch on January 23, 2005, 07:39:57 AM

Michael Portillo looses to a shocked Stephen Twigg who looks like he has won first prize at a school ceremony

That wasn't really a confrontatio, though it was probably the most memorable event of the night.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I remember seeing that, it was hilarious. It wasn't so much a speech as it was a rant.

If Kilroy runs for a seat somewhere, that too will be absolutely brilliant to watch; I expect the declaration of Bethnal Green to be into the trenches.

Whilst it wasn't an election per se, the re-election of David Trimble as First Minister of Northern Ireland in November 2001 was a sight to see. Basically Alliance members redesignated themselves as unionists so that he could be elected. It descended into a brawl outside the chamber with members of the DUP and SF exchanging blows, and David Trimble being evacuated.

Filuwaúrdjan:
The declarations in two of last year's by-elections were... um... interesting...

In Birmingham Hodge Hill, Labour hung on by a few hundred votes... the LibDems seemed shocked by this and delayed the declaration by demanding recounts (refused) and looking at the bundles of votes.
Then during the Labour guys victory speech, the LibDems and An unholy alliance of Islamo-fascists and Trots "Respect" supporters started heckling him. It was pretty disgusting and I won't repeat what they said.
During the LibDem candidate's (who had ties to the mobile phone industry, which seems to be why she lost) concession speech, the Labour supporters played the Nokia tune on their mobiles...

In Hartlepool (which, despite the media and Rennard re-writing history recently, was a easy Labour hold. The Tories came FOURTH though...) the Labour guy (Wright) delivered another Hartlepool rant ala Mandy (must be something in the water...) of which the best part was "... and an absolute DISASTER for Michael Howard!"
The LibDem candidate got attacked by a bunch of morons in superhero costumes who's kids where taken away from them with good reason "Fathers for Justice" who threw purple powder over her and tried to do it again later because she's a family law lawyer (although what they did earlier in the day was worse: the Labour candidate had gone to the polling station with his young daughter. When they left it, a mob of them surrounded and shouted at them, making the little girl cry. How this is supposed to help them prove to the courts that they deserve to have their kids back is beyond me).

Silent Hunter:
Any of the old ones where you hear the names read out and the announcer saying the name of the party afterwards.

James Callaghan's Cardiff South (?) declaration in 1979, which I've seen on BBC Parliament. He got repeatedly heckled by another candidate about troops in Northern Ireland and then invited her to make a speech.

The BBC commentator was stating that she was probably going to be arrested.

Navigation

[0] Message Index