Do Supreme Court justices actually go through and read every amici curiae?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:23:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do Supreme Court justices actually go through and read every amici curiae?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do Supreme Court justices actually go through and read every amici curiae?  (Read 861 times)
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2017, 12:02:43 PM »

I just read an amici curiae supporting Gavin Grimm, whose landmark trans kids case goes to the Court at the end of the month.  I find it hard to believe that Roberts, Alito, and Thomas are really going to sit down and read the science behind trans people and fetal brain development and gender biology.  I think their minds are already made up of how they're going to vote - against Gavin.

Really the decision has to come down to Anthony Kennedy, once again.  This guy is like the only vote that matters on that court anymore.

Kennedy, Sotomayor, Kagan, Breyer, and Ginsburg (5) vs. Roberts, Alito, and Thomas (3)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 09:44:32 PM »

Of course they don't, that's what clerks are for: to find the stuff that's worth their time.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 02:18:24 PM »

Of course they don't, that's what clerks are for: to find the stuff that's worth their time.

Clerks are also writting many opinions (or at least drafts) as per Justice's instruction (unless we're talking about someone like William O. Douglas, who was basically a Rochambeau in terms of producing quick opinions).

Given the sheer number of stuff that is coming over to the Court, it would be impossible for nine Justices to read it all.
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 05:52:40 AM »

I would argue Anthony Kennedy is the most powerful man in the United States.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies